Fool Me Once ………. Then ##ck you
The British government has spent in excess of $42 billion to stage the Olympics , this being inclusive of building what has been described in part , as a decrepit infrastructure in around the city of London as well as various areas around the United Kingdom . London Organizing Committee chairman Sebastian Coe , worked in conjunction with the government, as well as with private enterprise and several public corporations to make the 2012 London Olympics a reality . With that in mind, the host country’s hopes of seeing the fruit of labor s endeavors bear success awaits , as the global audience of approximately 1.6 billion people will take in the 26 sports/events and 204 sovereign nations over the next seventeen days .
The Opening Ceremony, itself, lavish in part, sought to eschew various areas of British culture . As an expat Brit, now residing in central Florida , I found the whole premise rather tedious, and unimaginative ! Other than the premise of HM Queen Elizabeth II being asked to accompany the Ian Fleming created character, James Bond , portrayed by actor , Daniel Craig , in an aerial skydive into Olympic Park , scene for the inaugural opening , many the events staged , came across as being puerile and lacking in substance . Ah well , what else could we have expected as Danny Boyle , director of the whole spectacle sought to surpass the spectacular show staged at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, China . He was on a losing end of this proposition from the very beginning .
Expectations are high for these Games, and already there have been a number of major disappointments . The failure of Jordyn Wieber to make the all-round competition for the women’s gymnastics finals is seen as a major shock , as the young American is the current world champion in the event . So much so, that the anal retentive commentators of NBC , are calling Wieber’s elimination from the competition, an injustice. Personally, I have already begun to find NBC’s coverage of the Olympics banal and bordering on sheer ineptitude! Much of the analysis being provided, lacks insight and the so-called expertise provided comes across amateurish and uninformative. Whoever thought that an anecdote coming from NBC’s Olympic coverage host Bob Costas would feel like cruel and unusual punishment ? For Christ’s sake, can someone shove a red-hot poker in my eye, so that I will not have to endure anymore of this torture !
The Olympic Games just happens one of the few certainties where NBC is likely to make money from its coverage of the games . The broadcast network has a vested interest in the televised event being a resounding success , having paid the IOC $1.8 billion ($1,800,000,000) for the North American rights to televised the event. And NBC’s long-standing relationship with the IOC , specifically its relationship with IOC President Jacques Rogge and the executive committee repeatedly comes into question at the quadrennial staged event . That being said, if a pompous as#hole like Mitt Romney can question the London Olympic Games Organizing Committee’s (LOGOC) staging of the games , in light of the fiasco and corruption by the 2002 Winter Olympic Games organizing committee , for which Romney was paid handsomely by the USOC to clean up that f#cking mess , still has me questioning whether or not he remains the right person to defeat and succeed Barack Obama this November, to become the President of the United States (POTUS) . With the incumbent’s declining poll ratings and his endless reasoning why the US economy remains in the tank , after his administration and the US Congress sought to wastefully spend hundreds of billions of dollars , while not seeking any oversight , as to how those funds were disbursed . Tim Geithner gives me every reason to question his credentials as the Treasury Secretary !
Speaking of failures , Michael Phelps is proving to be human after-all having suffered a second defeat at these games when the US men’s 4x 100m relay team were beaten by France in that swimming for the gold medal in the event at the Aquatic Center , where the US team were firm favorites . All of this hype does become annoying , especially when the commentators of NBC are not gracious enough to acknowledge the efforts of the victors . A little bit of xenophobia it would appear, goes a long way, when the Olympic Games comes around and this network (NBC) becomes so engrossed, that they fail to show any intelligence , much less any knowledge, when it comes to many of the events ! And by way , which dumb ass high-ranking NBC executive saw fit to hire Ryan Seacrest to conduct a number of the interviews with the US athletes at the games ? Seacrest brings along about as much credibility to these interviews as Sarah Palin , were she asked to provide us with her insights on the US economy or to name one judgment rendered by the US Supreme Court .
The London Games are not heavily attended, in part because of the dire economy now engulfing the United Kingdom . The ruling Conservative Party led by Prime Minister David Cameron , is now having to backtrack on what many believe are draconian austerity measures , which if anything has seen miniscule growth in the British economy . Scheduled events have given us a half emptied auditorium , which is proving to be something of a considerable embarrassment for the LOGOC . However, what has now come to the attention of the public and led to a vocal outcry, has been the fact that many of the tickets have been designated for the dignitaries and family members of the IOC’s Executive Committee . And here I am thinking , that FIFA’s Executive Committee , led by Joseph ‘Sepp’ Blatter was a corrupt organization ! I guess not, as IOC Chairman Jacques Rogge and members of the executive committee have carved out a niche for themselves ! Rogge , when questioned by members of the convened press and a reporter from the BBC , admonished the journalist for posing such a question . Oh no you didn’t ? Fu#ck yeah , yes he did , and quite rightly so !
Now entering its fourth day the thirtieth (XXX) Olympiad , still has a long way to go before its culmination on the 13th August , 2012 . More or less controversy , and a little less of the asinine ravings from the commentators of NBC , and quite possibly the viewers might begin the enjoy the games a great deal more . Are you in agreement with that synopsis?
A rash of transactions , and all of a sudden not only has the baseball season become a great deal more interesting but we now know which teams we can deem a distinct failure . Come on down, the Miami Marlins ! I am sorry , but how anyone could view this ball-club as being a legitimate contender to win the NL pennant this season is beyond me ! Ozzie Guillen has brought about as much resilience to this team by way of his managerial skills , as could be found in a roomed filled with rancid fecal matter , while told that we could smell a bouquet of roses intermixed with a fine vintage bottle of champagne . This team , was assembled from ill-fitting pieces and its productivity or lack of it thereof , can be best described as being downright mediocre ! All this from a roster of players, whose payroll at the start of the season exceeded $117 million . Marlins’ general manager Michael Hill has offered little by way of a public statement as to the reasons why the Florida Marlins have failed so miserably </a this season . Suffice to say , Hill as well as many of his fellow executives are not only at a loss for words but I would hasten to add , beyond being dumbfounded . Dare one say , that the organization has been completely complacent over this entire season ?
The Marlins have bailed on 2012 , faster than the crew members of Costa Concordia abandoned the passengers of that cruise ship , the moment it went aground off an island in the Mediterranean , with the loss of over thirty lives , after the reckless actions of the vessel’s captain , Francesco Schettino , who would then along with crew members would disembark from the listed vessel without ever once seeking to secure the safety of his passengers . It has been the same malice aforethought here with the Marlins , and their lack of concern for the fan-base , who have paid out their hard-earned cash to attend many of the team’s home games at the ball-club’s new ballpark . Any hopes that the Miami Marlins might have in playing themselves into contention for a postseason berth , might seem as realistic a chance , as Ozzie Guillen being welcomed back within the halls of the Chicago White Sox organization , in the aftermath of the former manager’s repeated berating of general manager Kenny Williams and the team’s owner Jerry Reinsdorf , prior to his departure from that ball-club . A failing grade of F for the Florida Marlins’ franchise to be sure !
Now as the Chicago Cubs’ (42-58) season has surely proven to the fans of the game , that in spite of this clubs’ renowned history , they still remain a moribund organization. Cubs’ manager Dale Sveum and his managerial staff have seen this team languish at the near or close to the bottom rung of the NL Central for much of the year , and statistically they have definitely proven to be one of the poorer performing teams
within the NL . With the Cubs without any hope gaining a playoff berth or rendering their season meaningful , one has to question the mindset of GM Jed Hoyer and team President Theo Epstein . So much hoopla was created around both of these young executives joining the organization but their inaugural season with the Cubs, is now proving to be a monumental failure of seismic proportions .
It is pretty much safe to say some action has to be taken to reinvigorate this ball-club and it would appear that the potential trade of starting pitcher Ryan Dempster (5-5, 2.22 ERA) would be of benefit to the team . Three teams are now said to have a vested interest in acquiring the pitcher, and they are the Los Angeles Dodgers , San Francisco Giants and Atlanta Braves . Albeit, that the Giants are now said to be leaning towards acquiring Alfonso Soriano . Dempster has not revealed publicly his desired destination but it would appear that the player would like join a contender . The three aforementioned teams are certainly that and a great deal more, with each being in contention for either their respective divisions or a wildcard playoff berth.
Dempster now in the final year of his current contract, where he is due $14 million , upon which in 2013 he becomes an unrestricted free agent . Ryan Dempster has remained remarkably consistent this year, albeit that his statistics might not totally bear this out . The Cubs’ pitcher lies second overall behind Ryan Vogelsong (8-5, 2.22 ERA) in ERA among NL pitchers . As a desired target of the teams mentioned it is clear that Ryan Dempster would be a great complement for the ball-clubs seeking his services.
At point last season the divisional standings had us wondering how 2011 would finally pan out , while at the same time we also had a slew of trades as teams sought position themselves for that final run to end the regular year . History at times tends to repeat itself but not too often . This year on appearance does not appear to be one of those seasons in question. What thoughts if any do you have on this premise ?
Picture gallery , for your perusal .
Have the 2012 Olympic Games lived up to your expectations so far ? And what event are you most looking forward to seeing ? As baseball now enters into the final third of its schedule , what hopes do you have for the teams striving to succeed ? By all means chime in with your thoughts on this and anything else you believe to be pertinent .
Picture and slideshow gallery details below .
(1) In one of the rare moments of levity for the Opening Ceremony of the London Olympics , actor Daniel Craig in his role of the Ian Flemming character ‘ James Bond ‘ accompanies HM Queen Elizabeth II , as they depart from Buckingham Palace as part of a “skit” where the Queen and Craig’s character would skydive into Olympic Park for the Opening Day ceremony . Obviously a “body-double’ was used to portray Her Majesty for the somewhat comical sketch . Courtesy of BBC UK .
(2) Jordyn Wieber of the U.S. competes in the balance beam during the women’s gymnastics qualification in the North Greenwich Arena during the London 2012 Olympic Games July 29, 2012. Wieber failed to qualify in the women’s all-round competition in which she is the reigning world champion in this particular event . REUTERS/Brian Snyder …. BRITAIN – Tags: SPORT OLYMPICS SPORT GYMNASTICS
(3) LONDON, ENGLAND – JULY 29: (L-R) The United States (silver), France (gold) and Russia (bronze)pose with the medals won in the Men’s 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay final on Day 2 of the London 2012 Olympic Games at the Aquatics Centre on July 29, 2012 in London, England. Photo by Clive Rose/Getty Images …..
(4) LONDON, ENGLAND – JULY 29: Michael Phelps of the United States and teammates Adrian Nathan (L), Ryan Lochte (2nd L) and Cullen Jones (R) celebrate with the silver medals won during the Men’s 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay final on Day 2 of the London 2012 Olympic Games at the Aquatics Center on July 29, 2012 in London, England. Photo by Adam Pretty/Getty Images ….
(5) Seated left , Matt Lauer co-host of NBC’s ” The Today Show ” is seen here on the embankment of the River Thames along with Ryan Seacrest , who has been hired by the broadcast news’ program show to conduct interviews primarily with the US athletes and the global athletes in attendance for the Olympic Games . Seacrest’s light-hearted banter comes across as being inexperienced , and woefully inept but it has also grated on professionals and television audience who feel that NBC’s coverage and Ryan Seacrest’s interviews have devalued the content and programming overall . Take into account the poor showing of the main Olympic coverage host Bob Costas and you seemingly have a poor programming coverage of the games overall . AP/Reuters/ Philip Marshall …. ?
(6) Atlanta Braves’ Jason Heyward hits a solo home run in front of Miami Marlins catcher Brett Hayes during the third inning of their baseball game on Monday, July 30, 2012, at Turner Field in Atlanta. Atlanta would go on to defeat the Marlins 8-2 in a rather lopsided victory . AP Photo/David Tulis ……
(7) Atlanta Braves starting pitcher Tommy Hanson wipes his face during the second inning of their baseball game against the Miami Marlins on Monday, July 30, 2012, at Turner Field in Atlanta. AP Photo/David Tulis ….
(8) Pittsburgh Pirates catcher Michael McKenry watches as Chicago Cubs’ Anthony Rizzo follows through on a three-run home run during the fifth inning of a baseball game, Monday, July 30, 2012, in Chicago. The Cubs would defeat the Pirates 14-4 . Cubs’ front office executives led by GM Jed Hoyer made a number of transactions but none that involved the trading of their starting pitcher Ryan Dempster who still remains a player within the organization with the trade deadline due to expire 4:00 pm (EST) on Tuesday , 31st July , 2012 . AP Photo/Jim Prisching …
(9) Chicago Cubs’ Justin Germano pitches against the Pittsburgh Pirates during the first inning of a baseball game Monday, July 30, 2012, in Chicago. AP Photo/Jim Prisching …..
(10) CHICAGO, IL – JULY 14: Ryan Dempster (46) the Chicago Cubs throws to the Arizona Diamondbacks in a baseball game played at Wrigley Field on July 14, 2012 in Chicago, Illinois. Photo by Tasos Katopodis /Getty Images ….
(11) Ryan Dempster (46) of the Chicago Cubs gets congratulated by Pat Listach (4) after hitting a triple against the Boston Red Sox on June 15, 2012 at Wrigley Field in Chicago, Illinois. Photo by David Banks/Getty Images ….
Petey Pablo ……. “ Freek-A-Leek”