In The Words Of Steve Urkel …… Paraphrase ….. Did They Just Do That ?
I simply don’t get ! I just don’t get at all , how is it that an abomination can continue to take place and the fans are subjected to such diatribe both on and off the field of play ? I look at the Seattle Mariners and I can only think that the fans are gluttons for punisment ! This is a team that for all sense and purpose shouldn’t be playing in the major leagues but for some reason here they are stinking up the joint and there’s nothing to suggest that they are about to improve anytime soon .
Slide show for your perusal .
It is hard enough to believe that talented players such as Ichiro Suzuki , Felix Hernandez , Dustin Ackley and Michael Pineda whose talents are simply being wasted on this team and in large part by the organization . Eric Wedge may well have had a well chronicled career as a manager but this might well be his finest hour in terms of the sheer ineptitude and effort being put forth by himself and his coaching staff . To suggest that this team is bad would be an understatement to say the very least as they have simply underachieved in almost every aspect of the game from their offense , to their pitching to their defense . Suffice to say if there’s a worse team in the league at present based on their play then I have yet to witness it .
” So Carl you’re saying I can’t have sex with Laura unless the Mariners start winning ” ?
Mariners’ GM Jack Zduriencik has simply squandered what acumen he’s said to have in terms of the moves made in assembling this team. And granted the front office led by Howard Lincoln as its senior partner is answerable to a board of directors who to my mind would rather endure the mediocrity knowing full well that they can somehow profit from it all from a financial standpoint. The league hierarchy of baseball continues to reward underachievement by way of the luxury tax sharing scheme for the small market teams . But somehow fans of the game simply don’t want to discuss this as they would rather continue to see the obvious imbalance while suggesting that’s just the way that things need to be done.
The Seattle Mariners reside in the AL West where let’s suggest say the baseball being played there isn’t of the highest caliber . You would be hard pressed to remain awake while the Texas Rangers , Los Angeles Angels and Oakland Athletics lay siege to each other as they seek divisional supremacy. It is hard to believe that the Mariners are on a 10 game losing streak and are now 13 games behind the division leading Texas Rangers ( 56-42). The more one looks to assess the strengths of the Mariners it is the more one asks how is it that this has been allowed to happen ? Certainly as I alluded to earlier there has been nothing to suggest that the ownership is ambitious and wants to win but yet the fans who are asked to attend the games at Safeco Field are continually asked to endure this debacle while everything thing seems to be falling asunder . Needless to say Eric Wedge will continue proffer up statements that the team is giving the fans their best effort possible as they seek a real sense of purpose . I personally am not buying it and I seriously doubt that a genuine baseball fan would as well !
There’s simply very little reason to believe that the Mariners are capable of competing within the division and acquitting themselves with any real dignity . They have an upcoming series against the Boston Red Sox . And if anything their task becomes tougher as the Red Sox would like to increase their lead over their rivals within the AL East . It will be interesting to see how the team acquits themselves against the division leaders and whether or not Eric Wedge gets the best out of his players .
For much of the season there have been highs and lows for Seattle Mariners , perhaps more highs and than lows . And this certainly has been borne out by the team’s record of 43-54 a mere one game lead over A’s who are rooted at the bottom of the AL West.
Right fielder Ichiro Suzuki (51) of the Seattle Mariners is flanked by CEO Howard Lincoln (L) and COO Chuck Armstrong as he receives his Gold Glove Award prior to the Seattle Mariners’ home opener against the Cleveland Indians at Safeco Field on April 8, 2011 in Seattle, Washington. Getty Images North America / Otto Greule
There’s a great deal to take away from this all as we can learn something about the plight of the Seattle Mariners because there are a number of teams around the league that are in a similar state . The problem is many of their fans would rather not acknowledge that fact and simply have their heads up in the clouds simply hoping for something better and that the change is just around the corner. And for that venerable patron who’s so wrapped in his own little world do remember to pray for your Kansas City Royals as I think that divine intervention may well be the only way to help their sorry ass out ! Have you seen them play lately ?
Picture gallery for your perusal .
There is no denying that the Seattle Mariners are having an abysmal year but in your mind what are the primary cause for the organization’s sub-standard play this season ? Do you believe to be the players or the very fact that over the past few years the owners have failed to address the needs of the team overall ? Do leave a comment as to your thoughts on this subject matter .
Alan aka tophatal ……. https://tophatal.wordpress.com
Picture and slide show details .
(2) Toronto Blue Jays’ Mike McCoy, right, celebrates as he crosses the plate to score the game-winning run in front of Seattle Mariners catcher Miguel Olivo during eighth inning of a baseball game, Thursday July 21, 2011, in Toronto. The Blue Jays defeated the Mariners 7-5 . AP Photo/The Canadian Press, Frank Gunn ….
(3) TORONTO, CANADA – JULY 21: Ichiro Suzuki (51) of the Seattle Mariners runs to first during MLB game action against the Toronto Blue Jays July 21, 2011 at the Rogers Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Photo by Brad White/Getty Images ….
(4) TORONTO, CANADA – JULY 21: Doug Fister (58) of the Seattle Mariners delivers a pitch during MLB game action against the Toronto Blue Jays July 21, 2011 at Rogers Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Photo by Brad White/Getty Images ….
(5) Edwin Encarnacion (10) of the Toronto Blue Jays slides safely into second avoiding the tag of Dustin Ackley (13) of the Seattle Mariners during MLB game action July 20, 2011 at Rogers Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Photo by Brad White/Getty Images ….
(6) New manager Eric Wedge (R) of the Seattle Mariners is introduced to the media by Executive Vice President & GM Jack Zduriencik at Safeco Field on October 19, 2010 in Seattle, Washington. Otto Greule / Getty Images North America ….
(7) Right fielder Ichiro Suzuki (51) of the Seattle Mariners is flanked by CEO Howard Lincoln (L) and COO Chuck Armstrong as he receives his Gold Glove Award prior to the Seattle Mariners’ home opener against the Cleveland Indians at Safeco Field on April 8, 2011 in Seattle, Washington. Getty Images North America / Otto Greule ….
(8) SEATTLE – JULY 16: Starting pitcher Felix Hernandez (34) of the Seattle Mariners throws out Elvis Andrus (1) of the Texas Rangers on a ground-out at Safeco Field on July 16, 2011 in Seattle, Washington. Photo by Otto Greule Jr/Getty Images …
Seattle Mariners team stats
Mariners minor league affiliates – farm system