A Game For The Ages Or Not !
By tophatal …………
At this time of the NFL season everyone can subscribe to the fact a number of teams are simply playing for dear life while others are seeking to separate themselves from the pretenders and be seen as legitimate contenders . And while there were a litany of games that had a great deal of appeal there were a number that simply were an abomination not only as an exhibit but aslo so compelling in their mediocrity were they that I have to believe that the NFL hierarchy had to have been embarrassed by it all !
Slide show for your perusal .
One game which has to stand out to my mind had to have been the match-up between AFC West participants the Denver Broncos (4-5) and Kansas City Chiefs (4-5) staged at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City , Missouri . I doubt that in terms of the spectacle which unfolded the fans will see a much more insipid and vapid teams that are simply going nowhere ! Never mind that the two quarterbacks involved in this display may well have given their worst performances of the season. The fans of the Denver Broncos may well have been calling for the name of Tim Tebow when teammate Kyle Orton simply wasn’t delivering . But the insertion of the former Florida Gators’ quarterback simply having given the team the spark it sought the player’s performances have become ever more mind boggling and bordering on near mediocrity . Granted, at the end of the day it is the end result that matters but Tebow’s performances have become simply inept at its worst or barely average at best . Nowhere was this more self evident than in yesterday’s game against the Chiefs as his statistics ( 2/8 att’s, 69 yds, 1TD ) simply stuck out like a throbbing sore thumb . And though he also had one rushing touchdown in amassing 43 yards on nine rushes , it begs the question can the player matriculate to become the quarterback that coach John Fox needs if this team is to become successful ?
Tim Tebow’s counterpart Matt Cassel was not that much better 13/28 att, 93yds, 1TD) and when one considers the offensive weapons at the quarterback’s disposal you have to wonder what the hell went on during this game . Dwayne Bowe , Steve Breaston , Jamaal Charles , Jon Baldwin and Jackie Battle are not slouches but the team’s quarterback offered them little by way of overall productivity that would enable them to be in with a signifant chance of being in this game.
The end result may well have been a 17-10 victory for the Denver Broncos away from home which if anything would have been a god-send for their long suffering fans . God knows , both the Broncos and Chiefs have been a blight on the NFL this season . And it is beginning to make a complete mockery of the AFC West overall in terms of the consistency of the teams. The Oakland Raiders (5-4) lead the division followed by the Denver Broncos , Kansas City Chiefs and San Diego Chargers all jointly tied with a record of 4-5 within the division . At this juncture it is anyone’s bet who is likely to come out of the AFC West given the play of the teams at present. As to the play quarterbacks and where they rank within the conference and division , well let’s just say that they leave a great deal to be desired .
I don’t know that there can be any real excuses that ought to be made for the sundry of mediocre games that have taken place this season within the NFL . The labor stoppage initially I would have suggest may well have played a role in it all but we are now past the midway point of the season and yet there once again the fans are being served a up plethora of terrible games with even more exacerbating results . I would hate to think that during the postseason we are liable to see more of the game ! God forbid , that should even happen because if anything , I truly believe that the fans of the NFL would become increasingly disenchanted with brand and the game , given the prices that they are being asked to pay for the apparent privilege of watching the events in question.
The once high flying Detroit Lions (6-3) have suddenly fallen back down to earth and that should not come as a surprise anyone . Granted, they had Matt Stafford playing some of the best football of his career this year , you suddenly became aware that sooner or later the wheels on this particular bus would start to wobble . Well yesterday when the Lions faced their divisional rivals the Chicago Bears (6-3) not only did the wheels come off but the damn bus essentially fell over the damn cliff. Jay Cutler and his teammates simply played the best game of the season thus far in completely annihilating the Detroit Lions 37-13 . Bears’ coach Lovie Smith and his coaching staff had to have been encouraged by what he saw from his players as they completely outplayed and out-coached Jim Schwartz’s — team .
I for one know that there were a number of fans within this domain simply regaling as to how good the Detroit Lions are and that they should be thought of as legitimate contenders for the postseason . That being said , they are playing within a division (NFC North) where the Green Bay Packers (8-0) at present are simply laying waste to anyone placed in-front of them . That loss may well have been as demoralizing a defeat that Jim Schwartz’s players have suffered this season , perhaps with the exception of the 25-19 loss to the San Francisco 49ers in week 6 which the team suffered at Ford Field , Detroit , Michigan. That loss and in the aftermath of the events that took place when Jim Schwartz and his opposite number Jim Harbaugh had a minor on-field melee` . Schwartz may well have lost his cool but in doing so it clearly showed that the pressure was certainly getting to the coach.
The Detroit Lions now have to regain their composure and prepare themselves for their next game against the lowly Carolina Panthers (2-7) . It remains to be seen how Cam Newton and his teammates can contend with their NFC opponent in spite of their somewhat disappointing season .
Can someone actually explain to me how it is, that one moment the Baltimore Ravens (6-3) can look like all worldly contenders and then the next, perhaps are one of the most inept teams in the NFL ? I know that the Seattle Seahawks cannot really be looked upon as being one of the elite teams within the NFC much less the NFL . But for some reason on Sunday afternoon , somehow Peter Caroll’s Seahawks’ team were able to make the Ravens seem like that they were the ” boys playing amongst men “. Let’s get real here , but no one would willingly subscribe to the fact the Seattle Seahawks are in fact world beaters but herein lies the truth ……..the adage that “within the NFL anyone on any given day can be beaten ” doesn’t necessarily hold true . Because to my mind a team is either prepared to play or they are not ! And clearly this was the case when the Ravens played the Seahawks at QWest Field in Seattle , Washington .
The Baltimore Ravens managed to dig themselves into a hole that they simply couldn’t extricate themselves from . Far be it for me to suggest but the team’s victory (23-20) over the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania , had to have been an apparition . Bear in mind also that the Baltimore Ravens have swept their divisional (AFC North) rivals in their series this season . Yet somehow the Ravens can manage to lose to a team that ranks 28th out of the 32 teams in the NFL when it comes to total offense . Am I actually missing something here ? Either the defense of the Baltimore Ravens is that bad or the Seattle Seahawks had an inspired game against the Joe Flacco and his teammates . I am inclined to believe that it might have been the latter but I could very well be wrong ! God knows , there have been some really inexplicable results within the NFL this season . In losing this game 22-17 to the lowly Seattle Seahawks ( 3-6) of the NFC West there has to be some sort of explanation for this all .
Picture gallery for your perusal .
I know that there’s still a great deal to play for this NFL season but I would genuinely like to think that we will definitely see an upswing in the in the performances of the teams between now and the end of the regular season . If not then we could very well be in for something of an underwhelming run between now and the season finales . In week ten’s schedule which games in particular proved to be of a major disappointment to you ? Simply leave a comment as you would deem fit .
Picture and slide show details below .
(1) Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Matt Cassel (7) is sacked by Denver Broncos outside linebacker Von Miller (58) during the first half of an NFL football game Sunday, Nov. 13, 2011, in Kansas City, Mo. AP Photo/Charlie Riedel ….
(2) KANSAS CITY, MO – NOVEMBER 13: Defensive tackle Marcus Thomas (79) of the Denver Broncos pressures quarterback Matt Cassel (7) of the Kansas City Chiefs during the first half on November 13, 2011 at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri. Denver defeated Kansas City 17-10 . Photo by Peter Aiken/Getty Images …
(3) (3) Quarterback Tim Tebow (15) of the Denver Broncos hands off to Lance Ball during the game against the Kansas City Chiefs on November 13, 2011 at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri. Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images … …..
(4) Quarterback Tim Tebow (15) of the Denver Broncos rushes to the outside against the Kansas City Chiefs on November 13, 2011 during the first half at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri. Photo by Peter Aiken/Getty Images …
(5) D.J. Moore (30) of the Chicago Bears just misses an interception against the Detroit Lions at Soldier Field on November 13, 2011 in Chicago, Illinois. The Bears defeated the Lions 37-13 . Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images ….
(6) CHICAGO, IL – NOVEMBER 13: Matthew Stafford (9) of the Detroit Lions throws a pass against the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field on November 13, 2011 in Chicago, Illinois. The Bears defeated the Lions 37-13. Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images …
(7) Jay Cutler (6) of the Chicago Bears rolls out to look for a receiver against the Detroit Lions at Soldier Field on November 13, 2011 in Chicago, Illinois. The Bears defeated the Lions 37-13. Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images …..
(8) Head coach John Harbaugh of the Baltimore Ravens walks the sidelines during a game against the Seattle Seahawks at CenturyLink (QWest Field) Field on November 13, 2011 in Seattle, Washington. Photo by Stephen Brashear /Getty Images …
(9) Head coach Pete Carroll of the Seattle Seahawks gestures during the game against the Baltimore Ravens at CenturyLink Field on November 13, 2011 in Seattle, Washington. The Seahawks defeated the Ravens 22-17 . Photo by Otto Greule Jr/Getty Images ….
(10) Quarterback Joe Flacco (5) of the Baltimore Ravens drops back to pass during a game against the Seattle Seahawks at CenturyLink Field on November 13, 2011 in Seattle, Washington. The Seahawks won the game 22-17. Photo by Stephen Brashear/Getty Images ……