The Walk Of Shame Or Walk Of Fame As The Case Maybe ……
By tophatal …..
Candidly over the remainder of this NFL season there are bound to be a number of coaches and their staffs whose jobs will no doubt be on the line . I’m not so sure that I would not be entirely at all surprised if the likes of Norv Turner , and quite possibly Raheem Morris are shown the door by their respective team owners .
Slide show for your perusal .
Throughout much of this season the teams have simply labored with the exception of the . Green Bay Packers , New Orleans Saints and San Francisco 49ers . Albeit , that fans might be of the opion that the Baltimore Ravens and Houston Texans are worthy of being mentioned amongst the so called “elite teams “ within the NFL this year . Given the uncertainty and displays we have seen from players has me wondering whether or not it has been the poor coaching within the NFL or the fact that the the league induced work stoppage has been one of the main culprits in somewhat of an average season . Of course there has been the injury bug that has seen the likes of Pro Bowl caliber players Peyton Manning , Matt Schaub , Adrian Peterson and several other notable players sidelined on the injured reserve list for much this regular season .
Drew Brees cast his names amongst the greats of the game with his assault on Dan Marino’s single season passing yards’ (5084 yds) record . The New Orleans Saints’ quarterback can add to that tally in his team’s final regular season scheduled game of the season against divisional rivals the Carolina Panthers whom they host at the Mercedes Benz Superdome , in New Orleans, Louisiana on New Year’s Day .
Sean Payton knows that should the Saints win and the San Francisco 49ers lose in their regular season finale against the St Louis Rams , whom Steve Spagnuolo’s … team will host in St Louis , Missouri . Then the New Orleans Saints would wrap up the second seed berth within the NFC and obtain themselves a bye in the first round of the NFL playoffs .
The highly anticipated potential NFC championship game matchup between the Green Bay Packers and the New Orleans Saints would be an enviable event me that would obviously wet the appetite of the most ardent of offense minded fans , especially when one takes into account that these are two of the most explosive and potently efficient teams within the NFC and league as a whole in terms offense . Quarterbacks Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers rank at the top or near the top in practically all of the most important categories that matter within the NFL at the position . Simply put , Brees and Rodgers arguably have been the two best quarterbacks within the NFL this season , bar none ! OK , so the purists out there will argue that were Peyton Manning not injured , then perhaps we would have seen the Indianapolis Colts’ quarterback putting up the usual numbers we are accustomed to seeing from the four time league MVP . Not to be outdone in the conversation perhaps, would be Tom Brady of the New England Patriots whose current consecutive game win streak now stands at seven games .
Now while it would be easy to regale you all with the why’s and where for’s as to the merits of the teams within the upper echelons of the NFL this season . It has to be said that the teams at the lower end of the scale have been extremely disappointing to say the very least . Perhaps , none more so than the Tampa Bay Buccaneers . Without a doubt this team led by head coach Raheem Morris and his coaching staff over achieved last season when the team came within a hair’s breath of making the playoffs .
This season however , the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have simply been woefully inept in just about every major facet of the game . Josh Freeman the team’s quarterback is having a down year in comparison to last season when he led team with his last minute heroics in a number of games last season .
Team GM Mark Dominik of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers has to be tremendously disappointed with the team’s displays throughout much of this season . And it certainly hasn’t helped that seasoned veterans such as Ronde Barber and Kellen Winslow Jr have simply remained silent , rather than leading by example , by being vocal with the younger players on this roster . All of the rhetoric forthcoming from Raheem Morris as to his own expectations are rather inane , when there seems to be no improvement whatsoever coming from this team over the course of the season . If LeGarette Blount cannot produce the form from last season that made him such a consistent threat , then there seems to be little hope for the Buccaneers’ offense . And one might add that the DNA that is said to personify this organization ______ ” team defense” is nowhere to be seen throughout much of this season . So much so , that in all probability the fans must yearn for the years when Tony Dungy whose coaching premise was …… ” defense , defense , defense and more defense ” but also more accountability amongst the players on his teams. Instead with this current Buccaneers’ roster , it is simply the players going through the motions while being compensated greatly , way beyond what they might rightfully deserve .
For a team with postseason aspirations at the start of the season the issues that the Buccaneers have faced far outweigh whatever Raheem Morris felt what he would actually achieve . All of the bravado cannot hide Morris’ inexperience and his having been thrust into the lion’s den by Mark Dominik and the Glazer family simply lent credence to the fact the owners are back to their ways of old by doing things on the cheap. If anything it’s my belief that the Malcolm Glazer as patriarch of the family is far more concerned and interested in his holdings within English Premiership (EPL) soccer team Manchester United whose ownership has been in his tenure since 2005 . The club bought at a cost of some $1.55 billion ($1,550,000,000) with a leveraged buyout in using the team primarily as collateral along with other derivative financing still has left a burgeoning hole within United’s coffers . The club is still debt laden , albeit , that the franchise is amongst the most popular and profitable sporting concerns in the world but by the wrath of the Red Devils’ fans were met met with muted silence when Cristiano Ronaldo was allowed to leave the team for a then world record price of $190 million as a transfer fee , the Portuguese payer would join Spanish giants Real Madrid of the Spanish first division ( La Liga) .
The English soccer team has a mounting debt which the executives of the club have sought to refinance without a great deal of success . But what might now be even more pertinent is that with UEFA set to bring in new regulations concerning teams participating in their competitions .specifically . in the Champions League , Europe’s top international club competition . It is imperative that Manchester United does as much as it it can, as expediently as it can to place its financial house in order . If not , then the monies that can be attained through this competition would be of no avail. It is estimated that entire participation for a team in the Champions League deep into the competition’s latter stages can net that club in excess of $50- $75 million per season . A bounty far too easy to overlook for a club of United’s prominence on the world’s soccer stage. With so many wealthy US owners now diving into owning an English Premiership soccer team you simply knew it was only a matter of time before their impudence and sheer stupidity would run amok and start to ruin “the beautiful game” ! Stanley Kroenke , Randy Lerner , LeBron James , John Henry , CEO of Fenway Sports Group [FSG] ( owners of the Boston Red Sox and co-owners of Roush Fenway Racing Inc ( NASCAR ” Sprint Cup Series”) to name but a few have now stepped into the fray as part of the cabal of Americans who have an outright or a majority stake in a Premiership soccer club. Need I say anymore on the matter at this juncture , given the state of a number of NFL and NBA franchises and their present financial state ? Rarely are those teams’ books opened up for public scrutiny and as we all know neither David Stern or Roger Goodell are prepared to do that , not without a major fight . >
I am of the opinion that Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ ownership group simply bought their way to the Superbowl , profited greatly from that experience but then simply ” dropped the ball” with regard to the organization’s then immediate future . . Let’s put this way , anyone expecting then head coach Jon Gruden to lead the organization to further success , clearly misjudged the credibility and credentials of the former head coach . Gruden’s successor Raheem Morris a mere novice , is now proving to be something of a dud , with the the intellectual mindset of a gnat !
With the Tampa Bay Buccaneers having lost nine straight games over their last ten regularly season scheduled , one can understand the plight of Morris , and his coaching staff as well as that of the team . Angst and anxiety doesn’t come close to describing how much of a mess this club has become . Lacking in confidence , lacking in talent but above all lacking a coach with the determination and will to win ! Instead as I alluded to earlier this season has one of being simple asinine sound bytes from the head coach and general manager , Mark Dominik . If nothing else the fans now have the ignominy of either witnessing a tenth straight loss or that improbable win when the Buccaneers face divisional rivals the Atlanta Falcons at the Georgia Dome in downtown Atlanta , this upcoming Sunday afternoon on New Year’s Day . I’m sure that Falcons’ coach Mike Smith and his team have no wish make their hometown fans disappointed with a vapid display as they seek to further enmesh themselves within the playoff picture .
If this Buccaneers’ team is to have any chance of defeating the Falcons then they will have to give a display far more befitting of themselves rather than what their fans have been accustomed to seeing this season . At 4-11 this record clearly reflects a team that has lost much of the ground it attained last season when they were indeed a surprise to many of their peers around the NFL . That being said , 2011 has been one of missed opportunities for this organization and one again another relearning process begins . A number of players on this current roster will become superfluous to the team’s needs and it will most certainly mean that a number of them will not be re-signed .
Now whether or not Raheem Morris retains his position as the head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers remains to be seen . What might well be the determining factor is whether not the Glazer family will risk further ridicule in firing the incumbent coach , knowing full well they are still paying Jon Gruden $4.5 million as part of the final year of his contract (expires at the end of 2012) having fired him back in 2009 . Should Bryan Glazer follow suit having conferred with Mark Dominik then it leaves this organization in a such a situation that would make it extremely improbable that any potential hire would be willing to become a possible candidate for as the successor to Raheem Morris . The front office would be left having to now pay two coaches no longer in their employ as well as a new head coach . From my own perspective, I believe that Morris will be given the chance to “right this ship “ but it is becoming increasingly clear that this could very well be his last chance to redeem his credibility as well as that of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers .
In your opinion what if anything has been the most pleasant surprise or disappointment to you within the turmoil of the NFL this season ? Do take into account the league mandated stoppage which obviously derailed somewhat the effort of some teams in their preparedness for this all too normally rigorous schedule . Simply chime in with a comment as you see fit .
Picture and slide show details below .
(1) San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers (17) listens to coach Norv Turner in the third quarter of an NFL football game against the Detroit Lions , Saturday, Dec. 24, 2011, in Detroit. The Lions defeated the Chargers 38-10 to secure a playoff spot for the first time since 1999 . AP Photo/Duane Burleson ….
(2) Quarterback Alex Smith (11) of the San Francisco 49ers throws under pressure from Chris Clemons (91) the Seattle Seahawks at CenturyLink Field December 24, 2011 in Seattle, Washington. San Francisco won 19-17 . Photo by Jay Drowns/Getty Images …. ….
(3) Quarterback Drew Brees (9) of the New Orleans Saints drops back to pass against the Atlanta Falcons at Mercedes-Benz Superdome on December 26, 2011 in New Orleans, Louisiana. The Saints defeated the Falcons 45-16 . Photo by Wesley Hitt/Getty Images …
(4) Members of the Carolina Panthers signal after recovering a fumble by Josh Freeman (5) of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Bank of America Stadium on December 24, 2011 in Charlotte, North Carolina . The Panthers would go on to defeat the Buccaneers 48-16 . Photo by Scott Cunningham/Getty Images ……..
(5) Cam Newton (1) of the Carolina Panthers scrambles against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Bank of America Stadium on December 24, 2011 in Charlotte, North Carolina . Photo by Scott Cunningham/Getty Images ..
(6) Cam Newton (1) of the Carolina Panthers runs for a 49 yard touchdown against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Bank of America Stadium on December 24, 2011 in Charlotte, North Carolina Photo by Scott Cunningham/Getty Images …
(7) CHARLOTTE, NC – DECEMBER 24: Josh Freeman (5) of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers calls a play during their game against the Carolina Panthers at Bank of America Stadium on December 24, 2011 in Charlotte, North Carolina. Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images ….
(8) Clueless in Tampa ! Head coach Raheem Morris of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers watches on during their game against the Carolina Panthers at Bank of America Stadium on December 24, 2011 in Charlotte, North Carolina. Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images …..
(9) CHARLOTTE, NC – DECEMBER 24: Head coach Raheem Morris of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers watches on during their game against the Carolina Panthers at Bank of America Stadium on December 24, 2011 in Charlotte, North Carolina. Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images …
(10) New Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Raheem Morris, second from right, poses for a photo with, from left, new general manager Mark Dominik, and executive vice presidents Edward Glazer, Bryan Glazer, and Joel Glazer during a news conference Saturday afternoon Jan. 17, 2009 in Tampa, Fla. Morris replaces Jon Gruden, who was fired on Friday. AP Photo/Chris O’Meara ………
(11) Ji- Sung Park (left) and Dimitar Berbatov (9) are seen here during a Premiership (EPL) game between Manchester United and Wigan Athletic . United would go on to defeat their divisional rivals 5-0 . Courtesy of premierleague.com … @ copyrighted material all rights reserved …
(12) Berbatov (9) nets the first of his three goals (“hat-trick”) in United’ 5-0 defeat of Wigan Athletic . Courtesy of premierleague.com ……
(13) Berbatov beats Wigan’s goalkeeper Ali Al-Habsi during the game . Courtesy of uk.eurosport.yahoo.com ….@ copyrighted material all rights reserved .
(14) Former partners in crime Bruce Allen and Jon Gruden , formerly of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are seen at One Buc Place in Tampa , Florida . Gruden the team’s then head coach and Allen the general manager at the time were relieved of their duties by the Glazers in early 2009. Raheem Morris would succeed Jon Gruden as the head coach , with Allen being selected to become the general manager of the Washington Redskins by team owner Dan Snyder . Allen’s responsibilities seem to be more confined to deal with cap related issues for the team rather than personnel matters as current head coach Mike Shanahan and his son Kyle Shanahan seem to handling those particular issues in conjunction with team owner , Dan Snyder . St Petersburg Times/ Mark Cornish ……
2011 regular season results within the NFL .
Hot chic pic of the day Eva Mendes also with a small montage of this heavenly and hot Latina actress !
Eva could make just about any guy go cuckoo for Coco Pops and then some don’t you think ?
The ”Thin White Duke” aka David Bowie …… “Fame ”