Ain’t Nothin’ New Merely The Same Ol’ Bulls#it !
By tophatal …….
Well over the past 24 to 36 hours the sports’ world has been awash with moves within the MLB (baseball) …. and the NBA . Thankfully , calmer heads prevailed within the league hierarchy of the NBA but that’s not to say the same stupidity we have come to see exhibited by David Stern and the executives there won’t be repeated over the course of this truncated season ! With NBA team training camps now up and running , the talk is of what players will be on the move prior to the season’s start on Christmas Day .
Slide show for your perusal .
From my own perspective , not much was really achieved by either side as the NBA league hierarchy , team owners have little to be completely satisfied about . Granted , David Stern will point to the fact he got the NBPA (union ) to agree to in season testing for steroids as part the new collective bargaining agreement but in reality beyond that there was little done to achieve the balance sought by both sides in terms of BRI ( basketball related income revenues [$4.5 billion annually] ) equality and a firm financial standpoint , from which they can move forward .
What was meant to be a blockbuster move that would have seen the Los Angeles Lakers’ … Pau Gasol move to the New Orleans Hornets in exchange for Hornets’ point guard Chris Paul with Lamar Odom then heading to the Houston Rockets , when the move was not granted any ratification and denied by the league . Widely reported as a move engineered by Lakers’ GM Mitch Kupchak with the blessing of the now hospitalized ( suffering from blood clots to both legs) owner Dr Jerry Buss . The deal itself had a great of unsatisfactory elements to it and when one bears in mind that the Hornets’ franchise is in effect owned by the league hierarchy , in essence compromising of the owners and the hierarchy’s executive committee . Former franchise owner George Shinn unable to find an owner even in light of the low ball bid made by then minority stake owner Gary Chouest . The league bought the franchise and as its current owner they are actively seeking a buyer for the NBA team with a view to keeping the organization within the city of New Orleans .
If anything indicates why the NBA much like its baseball counterpart continues to remain a farce , then the notion that this trade could have gone ahead without passing any sense of credibility in terms of simply meeting the most basic of the league mandated requirements simply indicates how out of sync the owners , general managers and the league hierarchy itself tends to be and the fact that they feel they are not compelled to explain themselves. For once , however , Stern actually took note but that is not to say that this trade won’t take place sooner , rather than later . Chris Paul most definitely wants out from the Hornets , albeit that he has not been publicly vocal on wanting to leave the franchise that drafted him fourth overall in the 2005 NBA Draft . In his six seasons within league the player has proven to be one of the premiere point guards within the game . However, it was becoming abundantly clear that not only was Chris Paul unhappy with the direction of the organization but the mere fact that the ownership situation remained unresolved and there appeared to be no outward resolve from GM Dell Demps as to bolstering the roster of the team .
For individuals such as former player , NBA front office executive and TNT Tv analyst Steve Kerr who has been openly critical of David Stern “nixing” this deal , he ought to remember that the potential trade simply did nothing for the Hornets from a competitive standpoint . All it was merely doing , was to sink that organization lower into the depths of mediocrity . And from a financial standpoint , the support of the locale fans it would have probably brought about a further downturn in attendance for New Orleans Hornet . One ought to remember it remains one of the lowest supported NBA franchises in attendance and it has been that way for a considerable time . So clearly from Kerr’s own myopic view and intent all he desired in seeing was a another ” so called super team ” being assembled , perhaps to mount a serious challenge to the Miami Heat’s “Big Three” of Chris Bosh , Dwyane Wade and LeBron James . It is at times like this that I would prefer for the likes of Kerr preferably not to be seen or heard from in terms certain points of view . Clearly from an executicve standpoint his career was something of a bust as a general manager with the Phoenix Suns , whilst his playing career most notably stood out from his association with that very successful Chicago Bulls’ organization of the nineties led by Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen . Beyond that there’s not much that one could really say about Kerr and his credibility !
Amongst the lower tiered teams within the NBA in terms of salary for its players it is extremely easy to understand why one the league’s small market teams in the New Orleans Hornets would be under a great deal of financial strain. And even with the expectation of the Hornets’ own free agents perhaps looking to re-sign with the club or seek a more lucrative move elsewhere . One can clearly understand the dilemma that’s now faced by Demps , the coaching staff led by Monty Williams and lead assistant Randy Ayers .
This upcoming season it will be extremely hard to see how this Hornets’ team will be able to contend not only with the contenders within its division ( Southwest Division) but also the Western Conference and the league as a whole .
For me nothing says naivete’ on the part of the Los Angeles Lakers in terms of this prospective move than it merely by appearance alone seems to Mitch Kupchak and coach Mike Brown wanting their own roster of All Stars ! If anything I can understand the urgency behind wanting a point guard on this roster given the fact that Derek Fisher is showing his age and Steve Blake for all of his experience clearly failed to give the contributions sought by Brown’s predecessor Phil Jackson last season in the advent of the team’s postseason malaise . Undermining that all , may well have been the fact that the team’s center Andrew Bynum’s own contributions over the course of last season were so varied and inconsistent .
Seeing the Los Angeles Lakers being manhandled , outplayed and being utterly listless in their loss to the eventual champions the Dallas Mavericks in the Western Conference semi-finals gave us a great indication as to how far the team had apparently regressed , having been swept 4-0 in a crushing series’ loss .
With Mike Brown being in his first year as the team’s new coach , he knows that he has some gigantic shoes to fill , given his successor’s unprecedented success with the organization . And while no one can deny Kobe Bryant’s zeal to win the player knows that as leader of this present Lakers’ on-court regime he has to be surrounded by players complementary to his skill-set and not merely by a band of observers .That was clearly the case over the course of last season with the exception of Pau Gasol , who if anything I firmly believe should still be a part of this team ! But such are the vagaries placed upon the coaches and general managers to succeed that they and an organization are at times quite prepared to sell “their souls to the Devil ” all in the wish to chase after success .
I am actually reluctant to welcome back the NBA given the fact that I have found the antics of the league and union to be bordering on the infantile like behavior of kindergarten kids ! There is no way in hell after their machinations that I can honestly say that the likes of LeBron James , Dwyane Wade , Carmelo Anthony and Amar`e Stoudemire can continue contend that their labor dispute is like that of any other social labor issue we have seen in the workplace over the last two decades . I guess when their median income is actually over ten times the national average (approx $45,000 per capita) one has to what the hell they were actually complaining about to begin with ? Multi millionaire athletes continue to bitch and whine as to their income while the fans in essence have to scrape for every penny earned to merely attend a game , never mind the fact that if you’re watching from the confinement of the luxury of your own home you are still paying for the privilege of watch the NBA brand on court . Ah well , one just has to survive in the best way possible !
Well the NFL regular season is now down to its final three scheduled weekend of games before the postseason begins with a great deal of relish by the fans on the cusp of seeing their teams making their foray into the season ending event of the playoffs . Questions being raised ………. will the Green Bay Packers (12-0) end their regular season unbeaten joining the likes of the 1972– 73 ….. Miami Dolphins and the 2007 … New England Patriots ? And can or will the Indianapolis Colts (0-12 ) remain winless thereby guaranteeing their chance of taking Andrew Luck #1 overall in the 2012 NFL Draft ? God knows , these questions are currently being asked but have yet to be answered .! And I currently know they will remain the water cooler topic amongst the vast majority of NFL fans until there is an outright answer !
Week 14 gives us a litany of games that could very well determine the fate of a number teams and their divisional aspirations . Perhaps no one game is more representative of this fact than the NFC East match-up between the Dallas Cowboys (7-5) taking on the New York Giants (6-6) at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington , Texas , otherwise known as ” the palatial edifice “ that Jerry Jones built . I can guarantee you this , there have been far more better staged events at the stadium than any home game played there this season by the Cowboys and that without a doubt is my sincerest belief ! Furthermore , Jason Garrett has proven to me that he is an NFL head coach in name only ! ” Ice” your kicker Jason , unless that has now become the primary reason why you might have no faith in Tony Romo during the crunch time ? I am just asking that’s all !
Picture gallery for your perusal .
This sport’s weekend is liable to be a thoroughly entertaining one and less we forget the 2011 Heisman Trophy winner will be announced and it is sure to be an evening , perhaps of no undue surprise . Something tells me , that the winner will have a great deal to live to , upon his entrance into the NFL ! Your thoughts on this and any other sporting matter that continues to pique your interest ? Simply chime in with a comment .
Picture and slide show details below .
(1) Los Angeles Lakers forward Pau Gasol of Spain reacts with forward Lamar Odom after Gasol made a basket and got fouled during the second half of Game 7 of the NBA Basketball Finals Thursday, June 17, 2010, in Los Angeles. AP Photo/Chris Pizzello …
(2) FILE- In this Jan. 3, 2009, file photo, New Orleans Hornets guard Chris Paul reacts as time runs out in the fourth quarter of their 105-100 loss to the Denver Nuggets in an NBA basketball game in Denver. The Hornets, owned by the league, had agreed to a three-team trade Thursday that would have sent their All-Star point guard to the Los Angeles Lakers. But the league killed the deal for “basketball reasons” and has denied the decision came about because of pressure on commissioner Stern from angry owners. AP Photo/David Zalubowski …
(3) Los Angeles Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak talks to reporters during a news conference at the NBA basketball team’s training headquarters in El Segundo, Calif., Friday, Dec. 2, 2011. AP Photo/Reed Saxon ….
(4) Los Angeles Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak, rear right, and head coach Mike Brown talk to reporters during a news conference at the NBA basketball team’s training facility in El Segundo, Calif., Friday, Dec. 2, 2011. AP Photo/Reed Saxon ….
(5)Green Bay Packers’ Mason Crosby celebrates with teammates after kicking the game-winning field goal during the fourth quarter of an NFL football game against the New York Giants on Sunday, Dec. 4, 2011, in East Rutherford, N.J. The Packers won 38-35 . AP Photo/Kathy Willens …
(6) EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ – DECEMBER 04: Jake Ballard (85) of the New York Giants is knocked out of bounds against Jarrett Bush (24) and Sam Shields (37) of the Green Bay Packers at MetLife Stadium on December 4, 2011 in East Rutherford, New Jersey. (Photo by Nick Laham/Getty Images ….
(7) GLENDALE, AZ – DECEMBER 04: Defensive end Darnell Dockett (70) of the Arizona Cardinals celebrates after a missed field goal by the Dallas Cowboys during the NFL game at the University of Phoenix Stadium on December 4, 2011 in Glendale, Arizona. The Cardinals defeated the Cowboys 19-13 in overtime. Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images ……
(8) Quarterback Tony Romo (9) of the Dallas Cowboys throws a pass during the NFL game against the Arizona Cardinals at the University of Phoenix Stadium on December 4, 2011 in Glendale, Arizona. The Cardinals defeated the Cowboys 19-13 in overtime. Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images ….
(9) ” Look it’s there in the fine print in black and white we simply fu_k this game up . That’s our head coach” ! Quarterback Tony Romo (9) of the Dallas Cowboys talks with running backs’ coach Skip Peete on the sidelines during the NFL game against the Arizona Cardinals at the University of Phoenix Stadium on December 4, 2011 in Glendale, Arizona. The Cardinals defeated the Cowboys 19-13 in overtime. Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images …..
(10) Head coach Jason Garrett of the Dallas Cowboys watches from the sidelines during the NFL game against the Arizona Cardinals at the University of Phoenix Stadium on December 4, 2011 in Glendale, Arizona. The Cardinals defeated the Cowboys 19-13 in overtime. Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images …
NFL standings by conference with denotation as to playoff implications
Hot chic pic of the day for your pleasure actress Emmannuelle Chriqui .