I Won’t Be Asking Any Questions Because I Don’t Need To Know The Answer …… !
By tophatal ….
Well week 15 within the NFL essentially told us a great deal more than we already knew but in reality it was simply another week of some rather mediocre football played within the league . Tim Tebow finally proved to the fans out there that he is indeed human after-all and that he has not been imbued with miraculous powers . God may well love his flock but this much I know he obviously doesn’t like ugly ! Anyone who witnessed that the latter stages of the game between the Denver Broncos and New England Patriots at Mile High / Sports Authority Field in Denver Colorado this past Sunday will be fully aware that Tebow did not have that great a game . But then again there were a number of quarterbacks during week 15 whose performances simply defied logic for one reason or another . Now while I understand all of the hoopla behind the upsurge of Tim Tebow devotees , now is simply the time to realize that while his exploits this season for the Broncos have been exemplary let’s not go overboard and think of the youngster as the best thing to happen to the organization since John Elway was leading the Denver Broncos to past glories .
Slide show for your perusal .
With Elway now having joined the front office of the Broncos’ organization it is felt that his working in conjunction with GM Brian Xanders head coach John Fox , owner Pat Bowlen and the coaching staffing then quite possibly the fortunes of the Denver Broncos could be resurrected to their former heights of success . Certainly this season the team has proven to be one of the more pleasant surprises of the year within the NFL . But I simply subscribe to the fact that the play within the AFC West amongst the teams there does leave a great deal to be desired . So much so that even in spite of the Denver Broncos’ loss (41-23) to the Patriots this past Sunday , they still manage to maintain a one game lead over the Oakland Raiders (7-7) within the division . And for some inexplicable reason Hu Jackson’s Raiders somehow managed to hand their game to the Detroit Lions having led in the waning moments of this particularly entertaining duel between two teams with playoff aspirations .
Now as an avid New England Patriots’ fan , seeing this team simply do something that the Broncos’ six previous adversaries had been unable to do , was like a delightful song to my ear ! And though I know that this Patriots’ secondary will most certainly have to play a hell of lot better given the team’s defensive liabilities shown over the course of this season . Whereas , the woes of the defense have been well chronicled this season , it has been the offense which doesn’t seem to have skipped a beat from last season in terms of of its proficiency . Rob Gronkowski and Tom Brady are leading the way this season for the team . Gronkowski leads all TE’s (tight ends) within the NFL with 15 touchdown receptions and he trails only Jimmy Graham of the New Orleans Saints in terms of overall receptions and yardage attained this year .
Brady for his part along with Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers now seem to be on pace for surpassing Dan Marino’s single season passing record (5084 yds) in terms of yardage in a season . With two games left to the season it is not unreasonable to think that the trio won’t surpass that feat which has now stood for an astonishing 27 years . The closest any quarterback has come to passing that statistic was in 2008 when Brees amassed 5069 yards merely missing that figure by the slightest of margins . Stats alone , is clearly not what necessarily defines these players as clearly it is about leading their teams to the ultimate accolade within the NFL , and that is to a Superbowl title . Each, have had that distinguished honor , with only Tom Brady amongst the trio having won multiple titles .
In the Green Bay Packers’ chase for perfection almost every superlative had been used described in describing this team . The one thing we hadn’t really seen , were the Packers being severely tested by an opponent in a thoroughly physical game . Granted , in their game ( week 13) against the New York Giants , Eli Manning and his teammates threw just about everything at Mike McCarthy’s players with the exception of the kitchen sink . The Packers came away with a narrow margin of victory 38-35 victory over the New York Giants and the questions arose as to whether or not their unbeaten season would remain intact . Sunday gave us the answers we all sought , as the lowly ranked Kansas City Chiefs led by their interim head coach Romeo Crennel simply upended the Green Bay Packers’ dreams of an unbeaten regular season . Arrowhead Stadium was the scene of perhaps the biggest upset of the NFL season as the Chiefs downed the Packers 19-14 . Now it someone had told me that the Kansas City Chiefs would be the team to ambush the Packers in a so called ” trap game ” , I would have been the first to acknowledge that this would had to have been a joke ! But there it was for all to see on national television and the thousands in attendance at Arrowhead Stadium the mighty Packers being humbled by the 6-8 Kansas City Chiefs . The Chiefs from an offensive standpoint are closer to the bottom rung of the NFL ladder but somehow they made the light work of the Packers whilst their defense seemed resolute and steadfast in not allowing Rodgers and his offense any quarter . And the rest as they say is history .
Now don’t get me wrong it’s not that I despise New York Jet’s coach Rex Ryan but anytime he’s simply at a loss for words and belittled in the NFL arena you’re liable to see me beaming with a smile from ear to ear ! Sunday , I was grinning like a Cheshire Cat as Ryan’s team had their asses handed to them on a silver platter . Somehow the New York Jets , which Ryan declares each season with his arrogant pomposity ” are the team to beat” within the AFC put on a display that was so banal and mediocre against the much over-hyped Philadelphia Eagles that it actually had me wondering what the fuss has always been about concerning the New York Jets ! I couldn’t give a sh_t if they have made to two consecutive appearances in the AFC Championship game in the last two season , as no one ever asks who came in second and that is now clearly becoming the case with the Jets ! What might be even more surprising concerning this game may well have been the margin of victory as Michael Vick and his teammates put a ” world of hurt “ on the Jets , on their way to a lopsided 45-19 victory over a rather befuddled Mew York Jets . I was hoping to see a “five spot ” (50 points) put up on Ryan’s team but somehow I can only surmise that Andy Reid and his coaching staff saw fit to take pity on an inept Jets’ defense ! The victory slightly raises the hopes for the Philadelphia Eagles in terms of entering the playoff picture but that would be predicated upon the teams ahead of them slipping up over the remainder of their schedule . And that premise I now believe is very much unlikely to happen !
If they actually do things big within the state of Texas then what does that say about the mediocrity shown by all three New York teams on Sunday afternoon ? The Jets lose and the Giants may well have self imploded by allowing the Washington Redskins to scuttle ( 23-10 loss) their season and any postseason ambitions that they might well have had . Suffice to say , that for all of the exemplary exploits of Eli Manning this season this Giants’ team simply isn’t worth shit when it really needs to get things done ! Not only that but the poor play of the New York Giants in the loss could very well now have cost Tom Coughlin his job at the end of the season should they fail to make the playoffs . It’s now do or die for this organization from top to bottom !
No one circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills ……. at this juncture does anyone now really care ? Here was a team that at the start of the season came out of the gates firing on all cylinders . So much so , that many felt that they could very well be challenging the Patriots and Jets for supremacy within the AFC East . Instead Chan Gailey’s players have simply resorted to what they have come to be known for best doing , and that is to simply cower in the corner like a child who is afraid of the dark . Boo !
Somehow the Buffalo Bills while hosting the Miami Dolphins at home managed to look lethargic and so out of sync that it might well have had their fans wondering which of the two teams were actually rooted firmly at the bottom of the AFC East . The bone of contention for this Bills’ team has been injuries and a defense that at times tends has lost its focus . Such a situation must lay squarely upon the shoulders of Chan Gailey and his coaching staff but at the same time I would also think that with a lack of any leadership coming from any of the veterans on this team this fall from grace wasn’t totally unexpected . If Gailey is shown the door at the end of the season by GM Buddy Nix then it is my feeling that the ownership group will make a serious run at trying to lure either Bill Cowher or Jon Gruden back amongst the NFL coaching ranks . Neither of the two former NFL coaches seem to be eager to make that return but I am sure given the right incentives to make that step back into coaching then anything is entirely possible .
Much has been made this season that the Houston Texans have finally broken through having now won the AFC South and will now be making their very first appearance in the playoffs . Granted , it has been a long time coming when one considers the draft picks and the praise heaped upon one of the league’s most recent entrants to the NFL as a franchise . There were the seasons of high expectations only for the fans to be let down over the years . But 2011 has seen an uptick in the resolve of the organization led by owner Robert “Bob” McNair , GM Rick Smith and the other senior executives that make up the ownership group .
I have always maintained that you can tell a great deal about the teams that have a credible or one might say legitimate chance in the postseason and all this comes down to their play in the closing weeks of the regular season . With momentum it simply give those aspiring teams confidence to make their presence felt amongst those other contenders . From my own perspective I do not believe that the Houston Texans are likely to have a successful run in the playoffs ! Postseason inexperience as a team will certainly count against them and need one say that Gary Kubiak and his coaching staff have never experienced that sort of atmosphere that the organization is now about to be encapsulated by .
The Texans have been a team that is predicated upon its offense and with the likes of Arian Foster , Ben Tate , Owen Daniels , Kevin Walter and Andre Johnson providing that threat this ought to be a team that is capable of vying with the best in the league . However , at times what you see from the Texans does tend to be misleading and nowhere was this more apparent than the the inconsistency shown in their rather lopsided home loss (28-13) to the the Cam Newton led Carolina Panthers .
Now having lost Matt Schaub and backup Matt Leinart to season ending injuries , Gary Kubiak has now entrusted T J Yates to guide the team for the rest of the regular season and their foray into the playoffs . A great deal is being asked of the former … North Carolina Tar Heel who as drafted in the fifth round (152nd pick) of the 2011 NFL Draft by the Houston Texans . If Yates can make a successful foray with the team during the postseason then one would deem that he would be richly rewarded by GM Buddy Nix . But that would be a “big if” considering what is at stake not only for the rookie quarterback but also for the Texans as an organization .
Picture gallery for your perusal .
With a mere two games left to the regular season before the teams in the mix embark upon the postseason schedule it will be interesting to see which of the clubs step up their game and which of them will actually fall by the wayside . It is at this time of the year that the NFL becomes really interesting as it piques the interest of the most ardent of fans as well as those observing with a mere passing interest . Say nothing of which the fans will now be inundated with the rather sophomoric and idiotic rants of the on air NFL analysts as to their own prognostications . My own thoughts on the matter let them have their way because in the end we all know what we want and more often than not we will tend ignore those inane rants to begin with ! What do you say on the matter ? Simply leave a comment as you see fit and as usual thanks for the continued support !
Picture and slide show details below .
(1) FILE – In this Jan. 5, 2011 file photo, Hall of Fame quarterback John Elway speaks during an NFL football news conference at the Denver Broncos’ headquarters in Englewood, Colo. For all those fans worried that he’s not completely sold on Tim Tebow and might put the unorthodox quarterback on the trading block this winter, relax. Elway said the city’s new comeback king isn’t going anywhere. AP Photo/ Ed Andrieski …
(2) Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow (15) is consoled by defensive tackle Marcus Thomas (79) in the final minutes of the team’s loss to the New England Patriots in Denver, Sunday, Dec. 18, 2011. AP Photo/Jack Dempsey ….
(3) Tim Tebow 15 of the Denver Broncos slams the ball onto the turf in frustration after being sacked by Eric Moore(92) of the New England Patriots on December 18, 2011 during the second half at Sports Authority Field at Mile High in Denver, Colorado. The New England Patriots won the game 41-23 . Photo by Marc Piscotty/Getty Images ….
(4) Running back Danny Woodhead (39) of the New England Patriots celebrates with teammates after scoring a touchdown against the Denver Broncos in the third quarter at Sports Authority Field at Mile High on December 18, 2011 in Denver, Colorado. Photo by Patrick Smith/Getty Images ….
(5) Kansas City Chiefs interim coach Romeo Crennel celebrates with his team at the end of an NFL football game against the Green Bay Packers on Sunday, Dec. 18, 2011, in Kansas City, Mo. The Chiefs won 19-14 , giving the Packers their first loss of the season. AP Photo/Charlie Riedel …..
(6) Ryan Grant (25) of the Green Bay Packers runs the ball against the Kansas City Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium on December 18, 2011 in Kansas City, Missouri. The Chiefs defeated the Packers 19-14. Photo by Wesley Hitt/Getty Images …..
(7) Mark Sanchez (6) of the New York Jets looks on from the sidelines during the second half of the Jets 45-19 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field on December 18, 2011 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images …..
(8) Head coach Rex Ryan of the New York Jets (R) walks off the field following the Jets 45-19 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field on December 18, 2011 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images …..
(9) Patrick Turner (88) and Mark Sanchez (6) of the New York Jets walk off the field following the Jets 45-19 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field on December 18, 2011 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images ….
(10) Ryan Fitzpatrick (14) of the Buffalo Bills walks off the field after a loss to the Miami Dolphins at Ralph Wilson Stadium on December 18, 2011 in Orchard Park, New York. Miami won 30-23 . Photo by Rick Stewart/Getty Images …..
(11) Reggie Bush (22) of the Miami Dolphins runs 76 yards for a touchdown against the Buffalo Bills at Ralph Wilson Stadium on December 18, 2011 in Orchard Park, New York. Miami won 30-23 . Photo by Rick Stewart/Getty Images …..
(12) Quarterback Cam Newton (1) of the Carolina Panthers changes the play at the line of scrimmage against the Houston Texans at Reliant Stadium on December 18, 2011 in Houston, Texas. Photo by Bob Levey/Getty Images ….
(13) Running back Arian Foster (23) of the Houston Texans rushes against the Carolina Panthers at Reliant Stadium on December 18, 2011 in Houston, Texas. Photo by Bob Levey/Getty Images …
(14) T.J. Yates (13) of the Houston Texans reacts after a touchdown was reversed on a penalty against the Carolina Panthers at Reliant Stadium on December 18, 2011 in Houston, Texas. Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images ….
(15) Houston Texans quarterback T.J. Yates (13) gets a pat on the back from teammate Matt Leinart, right, after an NFL football game against the Carolina Panthers, Sunday, Dec. 18, 2011, in Houston. The Panthers defeated the Texans 28-13 . AP Photo/Dave Einsel ….
(16) Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak, left, and defensive coordinator ?coaType=assist&team=hou”> Wade Phillips stand for the national anthem before an NFL football game against the Atlanta Falcons at Reliant Stadium on Sunday, Dec. 4, 2011, in Houston. Brett Coomer / Houston Chronicle Photo: Staff, Brett Coomer / © 2011 Houston Chronicle …copyrighted material all rights reserved .
Hot chic pic of the day … Kaley Cuoco . Now you know why there’s a bang in “The Big Bang Theory” .
Budding rap star Somaya Reece .