It Ain’t Easy Being Cheesy But It Certainly Helps To Have A Sense of Humor …….. Unless You Happen To Be The New York Jets ……
By tophatal ….
You simply cannot deny that there have been so many teams that have been a complete disappointment over the course of this NFL … season . Within the AFC , in particular a great deal was expected of the Oakland Raiders , San Diego Chargers and specifically the New York Jets .
Slide show for your perusal .
Over the last two seasons with each commencement prior to their schedule’s beginning Jets’ coach Rex Ryan has come to make those all too bold and brash statements as to his team’s readiness to be the dominant force within the NFL . Granted, having taken those teams to two successive AFC championship games in 2009 and 2010 . But as we know Ryan and those teams came up short against their opponents . That however, hasn’t stopped the New York Jets’ coach from once again making those pompous and rather seemingly outrageous statements concerning the expectations for his team concerning this season . Low and behold the Jets were about as much of a competitive force with regard to their schedule as General Custer’s battle was said to be when he and the 7th Cavalry steered down over 2,000 members of the Sioux Nation at the battle of the “Little Big Horn “ .
An 8-8 season simply put a damper on the New York Jets’ season and the backlash against the team and many of its primary stars has left a bitter taste in the mouths of those players with there now being rumors discourse dissension and claims that players simply were lazy . Never mind the fact that the quick departures from Ryan’s coaching staff made this situation all the more unbelievable with their critical comments of the head coach and the team’s starting quarterback Mark Sanchez . It certainly hasn’t helped that team captain Santonio Holmes being something of an irritant in the locker room spreading discourse amongst the roster .
What might have been all the more unpalatable was the fact that in the team’s final game of the season unwittingly ended with a 19-17 loss to the wayward Miami Dolphins . The defeat stymied the New York Jets in their efforts to make the postseason for the last three consecutive seasons . Rex Ryan for his part has been somewhat mute in part as to the issues that derailed his and the team’s ambitions . But with the vitriol and backlash against the team and specifically the aforementioned players there now has to be the view as to whether or not this team in its present guise is simply good enough to be a perennial playoff contender , much less a legitimate franchise actually capable of winning the Superbowl .
The problems for the New York Jets this season have many been and varied as to the team’s inconsistency . But moreover it has been the inconsistency shown my Mark Sanchez as it would appear that his game has regressed greatly when compared to season’s past . The heated criticism of Sanchez in some cases while valid also has to be leveled at the coach . Bright lights , big city and the never-ending calls for his presence at so many none related football events may well have got Mark Sanchez to believe that he was “a star ” and that he needn’t hone his craft as a quarterback within the NFL and amongst the elite at the position . If ever there was further proof that the quarterbacks to come out of USC in the last seven years have failed to live up to expectations then Matt Cassel , Matt Leinart , Carson Palmer and Mark Sanchez are your clear indicators of that . Other than Sanchez neither of the other have led their respective teams over the course of their NFL careers to a playoff victory . If anything when you’re simply being coddled at the college level by Pete Carroll at a program that had its problems both on off the field of play then it simply would explain the mindset of those players upon their entry to the NFL .
Mark Sanchez for his part hasn’t made a public statement concerning the criticism but his coach , the front office and teammate Nick Mangold have been quick to try and deflect that criticism by saying that Sanchez is a hardworking , meticulous , studious and his work ethic is unquestionable . That’s all well and good but many of these rumblings would not have come to the fore were parts of it not true . Team owner Woody Johnson has tried to downplay the percolating controversy but also with Greg McElroy also voicing his thoughts on the divisiveness of the locker room , it begs the question what the hell is going on and where is the so called leadership on this team ? Furthermore , when you have LaDainian Tomlinson contemplating retirement because he no longer has the will or the heart to play within the NFL . If such a highly respected and no doubt future Hall of Famer has that to say about the discontent he feels that there is within the organization , then there has to be some veracity to much of what is now said to be emanating from within the Jets’ organization .
The real issues for the New York Jets over the course of the season was the mere fact that apart from Sanchez’s game having regressed, both the defense and run offense simply defied logic with their anemic performances . ” Revis Island” as in Darrelle Revis and others on the team’s secondary were simply lax …….. the rushing attack as a unit was as about as meaningful , as members of the orchestra who played as the Titanic met its fate , having struck an iceberg , while in the Atlantic Ocean on its maiden voyage .
The woes of the offense were telling as I alluded to earlier , with it having meant the departure of Brian Schottenheimer , offensive coordinator for the organization. Schottenheimer’s leaving , has seen a quick turnaround with the franchise hiring former Miami Dolphins’ head coach Tony Sparano . As to what the latter will bring to the team in terms of a renewed offensive capability remains to be seen . But it is clear that it will have to be great deal better than what has been offered up to the Jets’ fans this past season .
Now inasmuch as Rex Ryan has been rather outspoken as to what he believes is the New York Jets’ greatness as an NFL franchise it begs the question if he actually thinks that his team just happens to the best NFL franchise within the “Big Apple” , then why was it they failed so miserably over the course of the season ? An 8-8 record to my mind simply indicates marginal acceptability , if that ! This was a franchise expected to contend and it was clear that the coach and his coaching staff believed that the pieces were in place to make a legitimate run at the Superbowl . Instead , the aspirations of the football team was simply misplaced by what now appears to be complacency and a complete lack of understanding as to what it truly takes be a perennial contender and a real success within the NFL . Former Jets’ great Joe Namath made his opinions known earlier on in the season and prior to its commencement , when he also stated that he had his doubts about Mark Sanchez and what he brings to the organization as a player. As the team’s only Superbowl MVP winner it beg the question if ” Broadway Joe” had his doubts then, why was it that no one else within the organization didn’t feel it necessary to perhaps try to set about honing the skills of the young quarterback , rather than simply witness his game regress ? Now with all the rumors fomenting that GM Mike Tannenbaum might pursue a trade for the Indianapolis Colts’ quarterback Peyton Manning it makes you wonder whether or not Sanchez’s days as the team’s incumbent starting quarterback are now actually numbered ?
Picture gallery for your perusal .
As an NFL fan what thoughts if any do you have concerning the New York Jets’ season during 2011 ? Are the problems we have witnessed of their own making or simply rumor mongering on the part of the press and the alleged anonymous sources ? Leave a comment as to your opinions and anything else that you believe pertinent to the subject matter . .
Picture and slide show details below .
(1) FILE – In this Nov. 7, 2010, file photo, New York Jets assistant coach Bill Callahan watches from the sideline during the first quarter of their NFL football game against the Detroit Lions in Detroit. The Dallas Cowboys named Callahan their new offensive line coach and offensive coordinator on Thursday, Jan. 12, 2012. AP Photo/Paul Sancya …
(2) New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez (6) grimaces on the sideline during the final minutes of an NFL football game against the Miami Dolphins, in Miami. The fallout from coach Rex Ryan’s Jets failing to make the playoffs is in full swing, with coaches leaving, some anonymous players taking shots at quarterback Mark Sanchez and other teammates going on the record and defending him. AP Photo/Lynne Sladky, File ….
(3) Head coach Tony Sparano of the Miami Dolphins leads his team against the Dallas Cowboys during the Thanksgiving Day game at Cowboys Stadium on November 24, 2011 in Arlington, Texas. According to reports January 11, 2012, the New York Jets have hired former Miami Dolphins coach Tony Sparano as their offensive coordinator. Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images ….
(4) New York Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum speaks during a news conference in Florham Park, N.J., Monday, Jan. 2, 2012. The Jets’ season ended Sunday with a loss to the Miami Dolphins. AP Photo/Seth Wenig ……
(5) New York Jets coach Rex Ryan pauses during a news conference in Florham Park, N.J., Monday, Jan. 2, 2012. The Jets lost to Miami on Sunday, ending their season. AP Photo/Seth Wenig ……
(6) New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez talks to reporters in the Jets’ locker room in Florham Park, N.J., Monday, Jan. 2, 2012. The Jets are going home after a season filled with inconsistent play, some in-fighting and lost opportunities. AP Photo/Seth Wenig …..
(7) New York Jets’ Santonio Holmes is escorted out of the Jets’ locker room in Florham Park, N.J., Monday, Jan. 2, 2012. The Jets season ended without a playoff game after a season filled with inconsistent play, some in-fighting and lost opportunities. AP Photo/Seth Wenig …..
(8) Rex Ryan addresses the media during a press conference introducing him as the new Head Coach of the New York Jets as Owner Woody Johnson (C) and General Manager Mike Tannenbaum look on at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center on January 21, 2009 in Florham Park, New Jersey. ….
If at all interested do take time to participate in the polls within this piece .
Another poll for your perusal .
Hot chic pic of the day model Joanna Krupa
If it ain’t worth seein’ in Stuff Magazine then it’s not worth reading ! More of Joanna Krupa .