Here Today Gone Tomorrow
By tophatal …………
Sunday afternoon at M&T Bank in Baltimore , Maryland the Baltimore Ravens played hosts to the Houston Texans . The AFC South divisional champions led by led by TJ Yates were looking for their second postseason victory win during their short span within the NFL playoffs. With the usual expectations often associated with teams expected to make a name for themselves in the postseason Gary Kubiak’s … team was being asked to slay the dragon .
Slide show for your perusal.
In a game which matched up two quarterbacks within the AFC who have had considerable success for their teams over the course of the season . T J Yates and Joe Flacco are now at the height of their profession and now looking to cement their legacies with the regard to the NFL playoffs.
We know that the Baltimore Ravens guided by their coach John Harbaugh is team built around their defensive prowess albeit that this season this roster has shown that they have added a potent offense to their arsenal especially with the productivity of their All Pro running back Ray Rice . The running back this season has gained in excess of 2,000 all purpose yards from scrimmage to join a select number of players to have achieved that feat .
The events as they unfolded at M&T Bank Stadium was one of missed opportunities and errant plays that simply gave an indication that the Houston Texans’ time may well have come too soon . Interceptions and the fact that T J Yates’ inexperience began to show and the defense of the Ravens led by Terrell Suggs , Ed Reed , Ray Lewis and Haloti Ngata simply negated almost anything thrown their way by the Houston Texans’ offense. .
With the Baltimore Ravens gaining a 20-13 victory they now find themselves facing the highly anticipated match-up against the New England Patriots in the AFC championship game which will be played at Gillette Stadium , in Foxboro , Massachusetts . And with the Patriots annihilating the Denver Broncos … 45-10 in what was essentially a lopsided game . So one sided was this match-up that Tim Tebow who prior to the start of this divisional round wanted to reassure that he would give of himself for his team . Unfortunately for Tebow his performance was one of the primary reasons that the Denver Broncos were never competitive throughout this game . And it now leaves the front office of the organization quite possibly pondering whether or not their quarterback really has a future as the incumbent at the position.
Calmly but slowly I am watching the Green Bay Packers simply unravel in front of my eyes as they face the New York Giants in their divisional round game played at that ” icehouse “ known as Lambeau Field in Green Bay , Wisconsin .
With its core of wide receivers led by Jordy Nelson and Greg Jennings what has plagued the Packers during this game was the very fact that they had no answer for a stifling New York Giants’ defense. And Eli Manning is slowly beginning to look as if he now might the best quarterback not named Tom Brady now playing this postseason .
For the Giants the heroics in this game just didn’t simply come from Eli Manning but also Ahmad Bradshaw , Brandon Jacobs , Victor Cruz and the three touchdown performance of wide receiver Hakeem Nicks . And in the waning moments of this game the heads of the Packers’ players are remorsefully bowed as they begin to realize that their season’s ambitions have gone up in flames .
The New York Giants are road warriors and they will now be the guests of the San Francisco 49ers in the NFC championship game . Green Bay Packers’ quarterback Aaron Rodgers must now rue the day that he and this team simply bolted out of the gates at the start of their season only now to see it all now end up with nothing at all to show for this postseason . Being lauded over one minute and in the next now merely an afterthought amongst some who may well choose to seek answers as to why the Packers simply have failed to live up to the perceived expectations.
Picture gallery for your perusal .
Picture and slide show details below .
(1) Houston Texans wide receiver Jacoby Jones fumbles the ball under pressure from Baltimore Ravens cornerback Cary Williams during the first half of an NFL divisional playoff football game in Baltimore. Turnovers are the great equalizer. In three of last weekend’s four playoff games, the team with a big turnover margin won. AP Photo/Evan Vucci ….
(2) (2) Baltimore Ravens free safety Ed Reed reacts to his interception during the second half of an NFL divisional playoff football game against the Houston Texans in Baltimore, Sunday, Jan. 15, 2012. The Ravens defeated the Texans 20-13 . AP Photo/Patrick Semansky …..
(3) GREEN BAY, WI – JANUARY 15: Antrel Rolle (26) of the New York Giants celebrates with the fans after defeating the Green Bay Packers during their NFC Divisional playoff game at Lambeau Field on January 15, 2012 in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images …
(4) Aaron Rodgers (12) of the Green Bay Packers gets sacked by Michael Boley (59) of the New York Giants in the fourth quarter of their NFC Divisional playoff game at Lambeau Field on January 15, 2012 in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images …
(5) Tim Tebow (15) of the Denver Broncos is sacked by Shaun Ellis (94) of the New England Patriots during their AFC Divisional Playoff Game at Gillette Stadium on January 14, 2012 in Foxboro, Massachusetts. Photo by Elsa/Getty Images …..
(6) Tom Brady (12) of the New England Patriots celebrates after the Patriots won 45-10 against the Denver Broncos during their AFC Divisional Playoff Game at Gillette Stadium on January 14, 2012 in Foxboro, Massachusetts. Photo by Elsa/Getty Images …
(7) Alex Smith (11) of the San Francisco 49ers scrambles away from the rush to throw a pass against the New Orleans Saints during the Divisional Playoffs at Candlestick Park on January 14, 2012 in San Francisco, California. Photo by Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images ……..
(8) Vernon Davis (85) of the San Francisco 49ers reacts with Alex Smith (11) after his touchdown in the fourth quarter of the NFC Divisional playoff game against the New Orleans Saints at Candlestick Park on January 14, 2012 in San Francisco, California. Photo by Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images …….