Be Careful What You Wish For And Then Some
Well it’s all down to this as Superbowl 46 ( SBXLVI) when the New York Giants once again steer down their 2008 foe the New England Patriots when they face each other at Lucas Oil Stadium , Indiana, Indianapolis .
Slide show for your perusal .
The two head coaches Bill Belichick and Tom Coughlin are coaching disciples of 2012 inductee into the Hall of Fame , in , former Giants’ coach Bill Parcells . So right off the bat apart from the adversarial rivalry that exists between these two well respected coaches we have the very fact that they were at one time were both under the tutelage of Parcells. Now for me this is what is so intriguing about the NFL and in particular the coaching fraternity that apparently exists . Beyond that however , as we have seen this off-season the coaching carousel has been one that coaches have been hired and fired at a frenetic pace as teams now seek to place themselves on the part of success .
Between now and Sunday evening before the game kicks off (6.30 pm EST [ NBC Sports ]) there will be slew of interviews given by the players , coaches and in some cases celebrities in attendance as the convened press simply seek out a sound byte that they believe will be of significance to the awaiting world . Personally , I for one simply cannot wait for the game to come around , rather than having at times to listen to asinine and inane questions that will be asked by the journalists and some cases none journalists in attendance in Indianapolis ! Asides from the economic impact ( at a minimum of $500 million by a conservative estimate to northwards of $1.2 billion ) to the city and state this is a welcome boost for a city that has been besieged by a number of problems over the past five years. And that certainly is no different from any other major city across the nation at present .
Now as we know with the growing turmoil within the Indianapolis Colts organization and the very fact that team owner Jim Irsay now seems to be in a situation of his own making , while at the same time trying to avert attention away from the problem by seeking and putting out a joint statement from himself and Peyton Manning as to the apparent impasse is now at an end . For those of us who have been monitoring this situation the quarterback and owner have been at loggerheads as to apparent direction that this organization is said to be taking . Irsay and GM Ryan Grigson in the past two weeks have summarily fired former front office executives Bill and Chris Polian , along with head coach Jim Caldwell . With the Colts having hired Chuck Pagano the only unfinished business remains the immediate and long term future of their well respected quarterback . Manning is due $28 million that is a roster bonus but at the same time with the player’s health issue remains a concern for he , his agent Tom Condon and the Colts’ organization . While I believe that Peyton Manning should immediately retire for his own sake there is the thought that the player wants to prove his doubters wrong by simply returning to the game looking to further add to his legacy .
If this past NFL regular season proved anything , well to my mind it was that the hype over certain teams and the idiocy of the on an analysts remains live and well . A number of these aficionados threw their lot in behind the Dallas Cowboys and Philadelphia Eagles which to my mind was simply idiocy . On paper both of these teams may well have had the talent to go deep into the playoffs but as their records clearly showed and the very fact neither Tony Romo and Michael Vick lived up to the amped up expectations it was a matter of the blind leading and misleading the blind !
For Jerry Jones as the team owner of the Dallas Cowboys , this simply was another season of sheer ineptitude on the part of his team and the poor coaching ability of Jason Garrett . Another year of sub-par performances and Jones might need to rid himself of a number of players on this roster as well the entire coaching staff . Suffice to say , the stadium built at a cost of $1.5 billion ____ it and Jerry won’t be seeing a winning team anytime soon , especially one that he believes is capable of playing in the Superbowl !
In the case of the Philadelphia Eagles this off-season it was firmly my belief that team owner Jeffrey Lurie must have been under the preconception that his head coach Andy Reid had done a wonderful job in guiding this team to a 8-8 record in the NFC East. Meanwhile seeing divisional rivals the New York Giants parlay their season into a second Superbowl appearance in the last five years , at all the expense of the residents within the division. Somehow , Lurie along with members of the front office saw fit retain the services of the now often criticized and beleaguered head coach . GM Howie Reasman and team President Joe Banner must be either devoid of intelligence or perhaps they are still faintly under the impression that their long tenured head coach is deserving of another season ?
If Michael Vick is said to be the most dynamic quarterback talent playing in the NFL this past year and prior , then clearly something is awry if those who still believe that to be case haven’t witnessed the exploits of Cam Newton this past season ! The player led all rookies in all of the major categories that mattered most , and Newton has given his coach Ron Rivera and the coaching staff as well as the Carolina Panthers’ …. players something to believe in , that the promise of their 2011 season season is definitely a thing to build on .
I found it somewhat disingenuous to think that the Philadelphia Eagles sought to retain the head coach while he simply held no one amongst his staff or players accountable for their lousy season ! Instead , all that was offered up by Andy Reid were a series of rather idiotic anecdotal sound bytes while simply choosing not to hold himself or the team for that matter accountable ! Vick on the other hand having seen his profile rise to the point where he now joins a select group of players who are well rewarded in terms of their compensation as a quarterback that has now joined the $100 million club . And that in of-itself says nothing of the salary of the Eagles’ playing staff of over-hyped stars . Troubling as that might be , when you have players such as LeSean McCoy , Jeremy Maclin , Nnamdi Asomugha , Vince Young , Asanti Samuels and Vick all performing rather dubiously over the course of their season , with excuses being proffered up by Eagles’ supporters at a rather rapid fire rate as to the reasons why the team’s season was so anemic .
If Reid can be retained for having such a mediocre season given his coaching credentials and the very fact that he has taken this organization to the postseason repeatedly as well as a collection of NFC championship games and a Superbowl appearance. It begs the question if Reid can’t lead this team to the “Promised Land” then surely it is time to make a change , rather than the continued letdowns that the fans have now become use to ? Your thoughts if any on the matter ?
Now one could point to the injuries suffered by the Eagles over the course of their 2011 schedule as to one of the primary reasons why this team failed so miserably . But I would point out to the fact that the belief was that the roster perhaps had the best depth of any franchise within the NFL . And while that might have been the case on paper it certainly wasn’t the case on the field of play as borne out by their results .
In 2012 , if Andy Reid isn’t able to guide this team deep into the playoffs with at least an conference championship berth at least, then Jeffrey Luria and Joe Banner should rid themselves not only of the head coach but also the entire assistant coaching staff as well as players on this Eagles’ roster , who I consider to be nothing more than “dead weight” !
Picture gallery for your perusal .
With there being so many issues at hand concerning the franchises mentioned within this piece what thoughts if any do you have concerning the ensuing situations now awaiting these NFL teams ? Do you also believe that it was a profound mistake made by the Philadelphia Eagles in retaining the services of Andy Reid ? Chime in with your thoughts on this and anything else you believe pertinent to the subject matter .
Picture and slide show details below .
(1) New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady listens to a question during a news conference on Sunday, Jan. 29, 2012, in Indianapolis. The Patriots are scheduled to face the New York Giants in Super Bowl XLVI on Feb. 5. AP Photo/Mark Humphrey …
(2) New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick answers questions during a news conference on Sunday, Jan. 29, 2012, in Indianapolis. The Patriots are scheduled to face the New York Giants in Super Bowl XLVI on Feb. 5. P Photo/Mark Humphrey ….
(3) New England Patriots Chairman and CEO Robert Kraft walks off the plane as the team arrives at the Indianapolis International Airport for NFL football’s Super Bowl XLVI Sunday, Jan. 29, 2012, in Indianapolis. AP Photo/Eric Gay …..
(4) In this Jan. 19, 2012, file photo, New York Giants’ Chris Canty (99), , Osi Umenyiora (72), Jason Pierre-Paul (90) and Justin Tuck share a laugh during NFL football practice, Thursday, Jan. 19, 2012, in East Rutherford, N.J. The Giants play the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLVI on Feb. 5, in Indianapolis. AP Photo/Bill Kostroun ….
(5) New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin speaks to reporters after NFL football practice Friday, Jan. 27, 2012, in East Rutherford, N.J. The Giants are scheduled to face the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLVI on Feb. 5 in Indianapolis. AP Photo/Bill Kostroun …..
(6) FILE – In this Jan. 1, 2012, file photo, Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning watches from the sideline during the first half of an NFL football game against the Jacksonville Jaguars in Jacksonville, Fla. Shortly after introducing Chuck Pagano as Indianapolis’ new coach, team owner Jim Irsay responded to the comments Manning made earlier this week about the Colts by referring to the only four-time league MVP as a “politician.” AP Photo/Phelan M. Ebenhack ……..
(7) PHILADELPHIA, PA – JANUARY 01: Head coach Mike Shanahan of the Washington Redskins and head coach Andy Reid of the Philadelphia Eagles speak after a game at Lincoln Financial Field on January 1, 2012 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Photo by Patrick McDermott/Getty Images …. …..
(8) PHILADELPHIA, PA – JANUARY 01: Brian Orakpo (98) of the Washington Redskins sacks Michael Vick (7) of the Philadelphia Eagles during the first half at Lincoln Financial Field on January 1, 2012 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images …..
(9) NEW ORLEANS, LA – JANUARY 1: Cam Newton (1) of the Carolina Panthers scrambles during the game against Cameron Jordan (94) of the New Orleans Saints at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome on January 1, 2012 in New Orleans, Louisiana . Photo by Scott Cunningham/Getty Images ….
(10) Dallas Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett, center, stands for a photo with new assistant football coaches Bill Callahan , left, and Jerome Henderson after a media availability at the team’s headquarters in Irving, Texas, Thursday, Jan. 19, 2012. Callahan will serve as offensive coordinator/offensive line coach and Henderson will be the secondary coach. AP Photo/LM Otero …..