Groundhog Day Circa 2008 & 2012 ….
By tophatal ………..
Well the NFL season has now come to a fitting end with all of the chapters having been written in terms of the regular , postseason and Superbowl 46 (SBXLVI) . The fact that this game lived up to all of the hype and great deal more left the fans completely satisfied with the outcome , albeit that Mrs Brady aka supermodel Gisele Bundchen is now apportioning blame elsewhere for the woes of the New England Patriots during this game.
Slide show for your perusal .
As a die-hard Patriots’ fan this past weekend for me was literally filled with highs and lows . On the one hand , I saw what I thought was a gallant effort from the New England Patriots for two and half quarters , only to see Bill Belichick’s players squander the opportunities that came their way , simply to let them slip away . Mario Manningham meet David Tyree and vice versa . Now , two unsung heroes whose game-day heroics will now live in NFL postseason and New Giants’ history . And what else can now be said as to the season heroics of Giants’ quarterback Eli Manning who not only has he solidified his position as a quarterback but he now has the upper-hand on his elder sibling Peyton Manning in terms of Superbowls won and the number Superbowl MVP’s tallied over their respective careers. But now there are some who are now being bold enough to suggest that Eli may well have the better career than that of his older brother . Hold you horses folks but when I last looked Peyton had yet to suggest that his days in the NFL were in fact over . That being said , with the idiocy now engulfing the Indianapolis Colts’ franchise it could very well be that the drama yet to unfold within the organization could now take on a life of its own concerning the player and the team owner Jim Irsay .
The loss will reverberate throughout the New England area but at the same time this 21-17 victory was in so many ways reminiscent of Superbowl 42 (SBXLII) and the events that took place during that particular game . Once again the New York Giants would prevail , denying the New England Patriots their fourth Superbowl title . There now has to be the thought that this scene of deja-vu or to my mind Groundhog Day is going to cause some consternation for the Patriots and their fans . Nonetheless , time heals all wounds and to my mind nothing heals better than several glasses of hard liquor , preferably some premium Malt whiskey !
Now when you have players such as Aaron Hernandez and Wes Welker running routes and having the type of success they had during the regular season for the team , only to see them during this Superbowl drop passes from Tom Brady as if their hands had been greased with oil says to me one of two things ! Sunday simply wasn’t to be the Patriots’ day , never mind the fact that the team’s defense reverted back to their ways of the regular season . Oh God, how often must I now pray merely for you to answer my prayers ? All I wanted was for this one moment , where , were ere things to align for the organization and simply allow us ( Patriots’ fans) a sense of redemption ! The events of 2008 still haunt me , not that I break out in a cold sweat but Tyree’s improbable reception and then for Eli Manning to rifle a pass through the Patriots secondary for Plaxico Burress to catch the winning touchdown pass . Well that giant shadow still sets the New England Patriots in something of a quandary.
Circa 2012, and now it’s Mario Manningham ………… a sense of foreboding hits me then , as he caught that missile from his teammate and once again the Pats’ secondary was simply exposed . Pardon me for saying this , but how many times can a team be so inconsistent wherein Bill Belihick and his coaching staff simply appears to do nothing to address what had essentially become the Patriots’ Achilles’ Heel ? I have asked this question countless times over the course of the Pats’ regular season and postseason schedule in terms of the team’s play . And yet there has been no answer as to the apparent reasons why . Certainly the head coach seems unwilling to address the situation in spite of his coaching mindset as being a defensive guru . Well , I can now categorically state that Bill Belichick is no Dick LeBeau , not by long shot and then some . Furthermore , Giants’ defensive coordinator Perry Fewell might now be the best defensive coordinator in the NFL , given the players at his disposal and their performances over the course of this regular and postseason .
New York Giants’ coach Tom Coughlin now joins Bill Parcells as a two-time winning Superbowl head coach for the franchise . Coughlin now finds himself being mentioned in the same breath as many of the legendary great NFL head coaches as he’s now writing his very own legacy . Now in the top 10 of all-time coaches in terms of wins the Giants’ coach joins a select group of coaches to have won multiple Superbowl’s with the same organization . It is becoming apparent that Belichick’s biggest nemesis in the past five years just happens to be a former associate who shares the same coaching pedigree as himself , as both have been assistants to the legendary Bill Parcells . Speaking of which , somehow the voters who adjudicate the voting for the Pro Football Hall of Fame saw fit to not to include the former Giants’ head coach for induction as part of the 2012 class of inductees . Clearly the writers who cover the NFL have an integrity problem because it is befuddling to think that Bill Parcells having met the eligibility requirements is now overlooked along with Cris Carter , a player who just happens to be one of a select group of players to have over 1,000 career receptions . Perhaps it’s me , but my question for those overseeing this procedure , what it is that they are simply looking for in terms of the requirements to be enshrined in Canton , Ohio ? Is it a matter now of subjectivity or objectivity ? Clearly something is awry or this is simply now about favoritism because the integrity of the Hall of Fame in terms of its process is now shot to hell !
For Patriots’ owner Robert Kraft and the front office led by Nick Caserio this off-season will be about reviewing the whole process of the why’s and wherefore’s as to what went wrong and when . I can only surmise that this roster will be overhauled with a number of players being superfluous to their needs . I somehow get the feeling that there is some indifference amongst many Patriots’ fans as to a number of decisions made by Bill Belichick over the course of this season . To my mind the most glaring that now stands out is the acquisition of Chad Ochocinco , paying him $4 million and getting absolutely nothing at all in return by way of the player’s productivity over the course of this season ! Over-rated , overpaid and now hopefully , unwanted !
There’s a chance we could see these two very same teams meet again in 2016 isn’t there ? Your thoughts ? Who doesn’t love Punxsatawney Phil ?
Kudos to the New York Giants on their success and that of their fans in terms of their conduct and sportsmanship ! The game may well have been very adversarial and competitive but I for one totally enjoyed the thrills , spills and excitement to be found ! If nothing else , I can acknowledge that the better team won on the day but hopefully we’ll meet once again under the same set of circumstances but hopefully , next time around the result won’t be the same .
Picture gallery for your perusal .
What if anything to your mind changed the face of the game during Superbowl 46 and were you at all surprised by the end result ? By all means do chime in with a comment .
Picture and slide show details.
(1) Perhaps the most famous reception in Superbowl history David Tyree’s acrobatic catch in Superbowl 42 (SB XLII ) . The New York Giants would go on to defeat the New England Patriots 17-14 in a game played at Phoenix Stadium , Glendale , Arizona. AFP / Arturo Morales ………..
(2) New York Giants wide receiver Mario Manningham (82) catches a pass ahead of New England Patriots defensive back Sterling Moore , center, and safety .Patrick Chung , left, during the second half of the NFL Super Bowl XLVI football game , Sunday, Feb. 5, 2012, in Indianapolis. AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez ….
(3) INDIANAPOLIS, IN – FEBRUARY 05: New York Giants defenders knock down the football from Aaron Hernandez (81) of the New England Patriots in the fourth quarter during the game against the New England Patriots during Super Bowl XLVI at Lucas Oil Stadium on February 5, 2012 in Indianapolis, Indiana. Photo by Jeff Gross/Getty Images ….
(4) Steve Weatherford (5) of the New York Giants celebrates after the Giants defeated the New England Patriots 21-17 to win Super Bowl XLVI as Tom Brady looks on at Lucas Oil Stadium on February 5, 2012 in Indianapolis, Indiana. Photo by Jeff Gross/Getty Images ……
(5) New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin waves as he walks off the field after his team’s 21-17 victory over the New England Patriots in the NFL Super Bowl XLVI football game, Sunday, Feb. 5, 2012, in Indianapolis. AP Photo/David J. Phillip ….
(6) INDIANAPOLIS, IN – FEBRUARY 05: Quarterback Tom Brady (12) of the New England Patriots speaks to the media after losing to the New York Giants in Super Bowl XLVI at Lucas Oil Stadium on February 5, 2012 in Indianapolis, Indiana. The New York Giants defeated the New England Patriots 21-17. Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images …….
(7) ” Don’t worry Tom when we get home I’ll let you ‘butter my biscuits ‘ ” ! New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady and his wife, supermodel Gisele Bundchen, leave the stadium after the Patriots lost 21-17 to the New York Giants in the NFL Super Bowl XLVI football game, Sunday, Feb. 5, 2012, in Indianapolis. AP Photo/Mark Humphrey ….
(8) Quarterback Eli Manning of the New York Giants celebrates following their 21-17 Super Bowl victory over the New England Patriots on February 5, 2012 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Indiana. Manning was named the game’s Most Valuable Player after completing 30-of-40 passes for 296 yards and a touchdown . AFP PHOTO / TIMOTHY A. CLARY ….
(9) A man at the crossroads ? Head coach Bill Belichick of the New England Patriots walks off the field after losing to the New York Giants 21-17 during Super Bowl XLVI at Lucas Oil Stadium on February 5, 2012 in Indianapolis, Indiana. Photo by Jeff Gross/Getty Images …..
(10) NEW YORK, NY – FEBRUARY 07: New York Giants co-owner Steve Tisch walks onto the stage as the team is honored at City Hall Plaza following a ticker-tape parade in Manhattan for the second time in four years after winning the Super Bowl against the New England Patriots on February 7, 2012 in New York City. The Giants beat the Patriots 21-17 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis on February 5. The New York parade started at Battery Place and continued through the financial district, an area known as the “Canyon of Heroes,” to be followed by a rally at their home MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey. Photo by Spencer Platt/Getty Images ….
(11) NEW YORK, NY – FEBRUARY 07: Quarterback Eli Manning of the New York Giants walks onto stage as the team is honored at City Hall Plaza following a ticker-tape parade in Manhattan for the second time in four years after winning the Super Bowl against the New England Patriots on February 7, 2012 in New York City. The Giants beat the Patriots 21-17 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis on February 5. The New York parade started at Battery Place and continued through the financial district, an area known as the “Canyon of Heroes,” to be followed by a rally at their home MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey. Photo by Spencer Platt/Getty Images …..
(12) Three ‘tweets’ and a partridge in a pear tree . Chad Ochocinco (85) of the New England Patriots makes a catch against the New York Giants during Super Bowl XLVI at Lucas Oil Stadium on February 5, 2012 in Indianapolis, Indiana. Photo by Jeff Gross/Getty Images ………
(13) There’s a chance we could see these two very same teams meet again in 2016 isn’t there ? Your thoughts ?
New England Patriots 17-21 New York Giants
Ludacris feat’g Shawnna …………. “Stand Up ……. When I Move You Move ”
Jenny Poussin and Amber Easton . Whose ” biscuits ” would you prefer to butter ?