That A-ha Moment
By tophatal …….
There are times when one has to wonder if many athletes , coaches or executives actually listen to anything that they actually say in a public comment much less to their peers. As the fallout continues it has been interesting to hear the comments of the beleaguered Sean Payton as he comes under an added barrage of not only insults and criticism from the public and media alike . At the same time , there are those who have been quick to jump to the support of the New Orleans Saints’ coach and the organization . To my mind those coming out in support of the coach and the Saints are simply apathetic to what has in fact embroiled not only the league but also the game itself ! For his part Sean Payton at in a NFL hierarchy meeting in West Palm Beach , Florida , that involved the coaches , front office executives and team owners , the coach made no apology to the parties , as to his involvement in the actions that saw his team hit with an unprecedented set of monetary fines and sanctions . At the same time, it would appear that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell may well be rethinking the issue of suspending Payton , should the coach seek to appeal his suspension , for which the deadline has been set at 3 PM EST on 2nd April , 2012.
Slide show for your perusal .
Saints’ owner Tom Benson it must be noted , seems to be gauging the interest of Bill Parcells becoming the interim head coach of the New Orleans Saints for the 2012 season , should his head coach not revisit seeking to have a hearing as to his suspension with the league hierarchy. And as crazy as this might now seem I am not so sure whether or not Benson , himself can be entirely trusted ! Horses for courses as they say but there’s a nasty underlying demeanor about the Saints’ owner that certainly leaves a lot to be desired . Case in point , prior to Hurricane Katrina , he was all set to relocate the franchise elsewhere with the possibility that the franchise would end up being the team that the city of Los Angeles sought after years of being in the wilderness . With the DHS , with its agency FEMA and the state legislature assisting in the refurbishment of the Superdome in New Orleans , Louisiana . Fast forward to today , and you have Benson looking to create the perception that the franchise is seeking an image makeover but as of yet the owner himself hasn’t apologized publicly about the actions of his coaching staff and general manager Mickey Loomis to the other NFL owners .
Bill Parcells seems indifferent to the controversy surrounding his prospective employer , suggesting that he would be willing to assume the role of interim coach for an organization that has been embroiled , in certainly the biggest controversy to have hit the NFL in over a decade ! It begs the question , does the former two-time winning Superbowl coach of the New York Giants really seem concerned as to the deeds of his protege` ? And is this simply a fraternity that simply is one where the NFL coaches simply are not concerned by the misdeeds by their peers , just as long as it doesn’t happen to be anything damning or criminal whilst a part of the NFL ? And what of the NFLPA (union) itself ? That narcissistic body , having agreed to a steroid testing policy last season as part the most recent collective bargaining agreement with the NFL hierarchy , then chose to renege on that deal , drawing the ire of Congress and in particular three separate governmental committees . One can only wonder what concerns the likes of the Senate Judiciary Committee , House Oversight & Government Reform Committee and House Energy and Commerce Committee may well have concerning the NFL when there are far more pressing issues that most definitely need their attention , rather than that of a bunch of quibbling multimillionaire athletes and billionaire owners , who constantly bitch and whine , while being knuckle-head adversaries on what appears to be a wide-ranging group of issues that are relevant to the league (NFL) as a whole ! .
NFLPA Executive Director DeMaurice Smith and the union’s executive committee are now caught in the cross-hairs of a dilemma . If they are to conduct their own in-house investigation into the allegations of the Saints’ coaching staff and in particular many of their own members , where as such do they draw the line in protecting their rank and file members ? Or should they simply bring about a damning verdict of their own concerning the actions of a number of current and former New Orleans Saints’ players ? Your thoughts at this juncture concerning the NFLPA and their possible verdict ?
Is there really any common sense being shown by anyone at all involved in this whole debacle ? Instead the NFL in its infinite wisdom has sought to engage the fans with the fact that they’re back to making rule changes . As if there hasn’t been enough changes made to the NFL product that has seen in many respects the game being “watered down” to the point where offense was the norm and the very fact defensively the game was absolutely abysmal to say the very least from the vast majority of the teams in the league .
Now with the NFL Draft but a month away , all eyes will be focused upon the Indianapolis Colts as they seek a successor to Peyton Manning . Everything seems to be pointing to the fact that GM Ryan Grigson , Jim Irsay and head coach Chuck Pagano will indeed seek to make Andrew Luck the number one pick overall or quite possibly with the impressive showing of Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III , could possibly usurp his college counterpart in the choice to be made . The whole world awaits one of the most anticipated draft decisions to be made in recent NFL history .
Now while we can all attest to the fact the NBA this season has had its fair share of highs and lows . It has to be said that the Western Conference has not failed to live up to expectations . So tight is the race for the seedings four through eight within the conference that Golden State Warriors’ (20-28) head coach Mark Jackson believes that his team can indeed make a last minute run to at that eighth and final berth within the conference. That being said given the fact that the Warriors’ inconsistency over the course of the season has been anemic at best . The team is 3-7 in their last ten games and as of the 28th March they were on a one game win streak , hardly the competitive surge one would expect from a team that looks to be a contender for a playoff berth , much less an NBA title .
With a change in ownership of the franchise , Joe Lacob and Peter Guber having bought the Warriors in 2011 from then owner Chris Cohan . The common feeling was that after years of ineptitude things would certainly change , though not necessarily overnight . Instead , it has been fudged deals , draft choices gone awry and a complete lack of leadership . With the loss of Monta Ellis , perhaps the team’s best player over the past two years , that has in essence seen the fortunes once again plummet to the depths of sheer ineptitude . And it certainly hasn’t helped that first-time coach Mark Jackson and his coaching staff have struggled to get this team playing with any semblance of consistency .
With the influx of Lacob and Guber, who made their fortunes respectively , in the world of high finance and as a Hollywood film executive. It has to be said that for both of these front office executives the struggles they envisaged might not be what they now find within their midst . Nepotism has taken a-hold with Joe Lacob having inserted a family member , Kirk Lacob to head the Basketball Operations of the franchise . One now has to wonder whether or not any input has been sought from Jerry West , a special consultant for the Golden State Warriors . And for GM Larry Riley , not considered to be amongst the best of the general managers around the NBA but someone who merely seeks to make the best of a situation by simply being frugal when comes to the team’s salary needs . Perhaps, this is one of the reasons why the Warriors are not often seen as a primary destination for some of the free agents within the NBA ? Long starved of success and it appears that thus far under the custodianship of Joe Lacob and Peter Guber , it would appear that the franchise are simply taking incremental steps as they move forward . As to whether or not this of any satisfaction to an already fan-base has already been made abundantly clear to Joe Lacob in a recent ceremony honoring one of the franchise’s all-time greats Chris Mullin . The fans simply booed their young owner while cheering on Mullin in the ceremony held at the team’s home venue of Oracle Arena in Oakland, California . It is obviously a clear indication that the fans are not happy with the apparent decision-making of the ownership group.
Things are certainly not going to get any easier they embark upon the remainder of their regular season schedule that culminates with their final game against the that culminates with their final game against the San Antonio Spurs on the 26th April , 2012 . Up Friday , the Warriors will play hosts a to the New Jersey Nets (17-35) , a team that as of late seems to be floundering and who seem to be on the verge of losing their best player, Deron Williams at the end of this season . Mark Jackson , if he’s prove his doubters wrong will certainly have to get the best out of his players . Most notably , David Lee , Steph Curry , Richard Jefferson , Nate Robinson , Dorrell Wright and Brandon Rush .
If this team is to meet the goals being set for it by Mark Jackson , then between now and the 26th April , they will have to be playing at an exceptionally high level . More so, than their peers within the Pacific Division of the Western Conference . A division that is currently led by the Los Angeles Lakers (31-20) , followed by the Los Clippers (29-21) , Phoenix Suns (25-26) , Golden State Warriors (20-29) and bringing up the rear are the lamentable … Sacramento Kings (17-33) . Now one could surmise that Golden State could pull off the improbable or dare one say the impossible ? But they are six games out of that eighth and final spot , currently held the Houston Rockets (27-24) . To my mind , too great a margin to overcome from a team that defensively , is amongst the worst within the NBA allowing 100ppg , and within the conference itself, only the Denver Nuggets and Sacramento Kings have the dubious distinction of being more inept from a defensive standpoint.
Where the inherent problem lies for the team comes from its failure to eke out victories where the games are fairly close and it has proven to be a constant struggle for Mark Jackson’s players throughout the course of the season . Nowhere has this been more prevalent than when an opponent scores in excess of 100 points a game and you see the struggles of the Golden State Warriors and in essence what Jackson and his coaching staff have to try and avert >. Whether or not Mark Jackson is trying to be bold in his attempt to build up the confidence and psyche of his players , it clearly doesn’t seem to be working ! Furthermore , if he is not able right this ship , then in all probability his tenure as a first-time coach in the NBA could very well be a short-lived one . Both Joe Lacob and Peter Guber did not make an outlay of $450 million just to see that purchase be looked upon as a failure . And when a team tends to flounder it has always been the coach who seems to be end up having the blame placed firmly upon his shoulders, not the players …. but the head coach .
Picture gallery for your perusal .
In the aftermath of the fallout from the Saints’ “Bounty Scandal” what do you believe would be the best outcome for the NFL in terms of the actions of the New Orleans Saints ? In terms of what must be something of a tentative prediction by Warriors’ coach Mark Jackson , do you believe it to be simply the head coach looking save his job in terms what he believes is a confidence and moral boosting exercise ? Take time to leave a comment on this , and anything else you believe to relevant in terms of the subject matter .
Picture and slide show details below .
(1) New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton leaves the NFL owners meeting in Palm Beach, Fla., Tuesday, March 27, 2012. Facing a season-long suspension for his role in the Saints’ bounties program, Payton planned to meet with Bill Parcells, his former boss, on Tuesday, a conversation that will include who will coach New Orleans this coming season. AP Photo/Luis M. Alvarez ..
(2) FILE – In this Dec. 10, 2006 file photo, then Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcells, right, shakes hands with New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton after the Saints defeated the Cowboys 42-17 in an NFL football game in Irving, Texas. Payton says he will meet Tuesday, March 27, 2012, with Bill Parcells, and part of that discussion will include who will coach the Saints this coming season. Payton says he will decide in the next “two to three” days whether he will appeal the suspension that would keep him off the sideline this season because of his role in the Saints’ bounty system AP Photo/Matt Slocum …
(3) FILE – In this Nov. 6, 2011 file photo, New Orleans Saints assistant coach Joe Vitt walks the sideline during the fourth quarter of an NFL football game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in New Orleans. The NFL has suspended New Orleans head coach Sean Payton for the 2012 season, and former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is banned from the league indefinitely because of the team’s bounty program that targeted opposing players. Also Wednesday, March 21, 2012, Goodell suspended Saints general manager Mickey Loomis for the first eight regular-season games of 2012, and assistant coach Joe Vitt has to sit out the first six games. Vitt , today through his agent David Cornwell , has stated that he will lodge an appeal in terms of his 6 game suspension , thereby joining head coach Sean Payton in the same process. AP Photo/Jonathan Bachman ….
(4) Colts’ owner Jim Irsay ,left is seen here with team general manager Ryan Grigson . The two in conjunction with head coach Chuck Pagano will have to come to the most important decision team history since they made franchise made Peyton Manning the #1 pick in the 1998 NFL Draft . The choice remains between two of the most accomplished quarterbacks in this year’s NFL Draft , in Robert Griffin and Andrew Luck . The consensus does appear to be that Luck will be taken ahead of Griffin , by the Indianapolis Colts . AP Photo / Peter Thomas …
(5) Golden State Warriors small forward Dominic McGuire (5) gets the ball away from New Orleans Hornets small forward Al-Farouq Aminu (0) in the fourth period of an NBA basketball game in Oakland, Calif., Wednesday, March 28, 2012. The New Orleans Hornets defeated the Golden State Warriors 102-87 . AP Photo/Paul Sakuma …..
(6) Golden State Warriors owner Joe Lacob watches game against the New Orleans Hornets in the fourth period of an NBA basketball game in Oakland, Calif., Wednesday, March 28, 2012. The New Orleans Hornets defeated the Golden State Warriors 102-87. AP Photo/Paul Sakuma ….
(7) Golden State Warriors forward Jeremy Tyler (3) dunks in front of New Orleans Hornets guard Jarrett Jack (2) and forward Carl Landry (24) in the first half of an NBA basketball game in Oakland, Calif., Wednesday, March 28, 2012. AP Photo/Paul Sakuma …..
(8) Injured Golden State Warriors point guard Stephen Curry yawns on the bench during the second half of an NBA basketball game against the New Orleans Hornets in Oakland, Calif., Wednesday, March 28, 2012. AP Photo/Paul Sakuma
(9) OAKLAND, CA – MARCH 27: Head coach Mark Jackson of the Golden State Warriors shouts to his team during their game against the Los Angeles Lakers at Oracle Arena on March 27, 2012 in Oakland, California. Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images ….
(10) From left to right , Joe Lacob , Jerry West and Peter Guber of the Golden State warriors . Lacob, and Guber ,as owners of the franchise hired former front office executive , West as a special consultant to assist GM Larry Riley in personnel matters concerning the team . As to the overall input and makeup of the roster it seems somewhat unclear as to the direction sought by the front office . AP Photo /Al Thomas ….
Actress Lindsay Price . Hot , or not hot ? That is the question that needs to be answered ! Your thoughts ?