In The Military We Just Love To Blow Sh#t Up ! In The NFL It’s Simply The Norm …….. So What’s New ?
By tophatal ….
Either he was cajoled or he’s simply looking to avert the gaze and attention away from New Orleans Saints …. organization . Somehow GM Mickey Loomis and head coach Sean Payton probably at the behest of team owner Tom Benson have sought to allay the fears of their most ardent fans in light of the allegations now fomenting within the NFL as to the program initiated by the team’s former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams . As an assistant coach with the team from 2008-11 , Williams serving under Sean Payton had a bounty that was used a financial incentive for defensive players on the Saints’ roster . This situation has now come to the fore with the NFL hierarchy conducting an investigation into the actions of Williams , while an assistant not only with the New Orleans but also while serving in the same capacity with the Washington Redskins under then head coach Joe Gibbs .
Slide show for your perusal .
If there’s any veracity to these claims , albeit that Saints’ defensive player .Darren Sharper has denied any culpability or wrongdoing by himself and his teammates during the period that these alleged incidents took place . Should this be proven , based upon any statements or concrete evidence that is uncovered through this investigation then the ramifications for the Saints could be very serious . However, much of this will be predicated upon whether or not NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell shows that he is indeed prepared to punish the Saints and in particular Gregg Williams for his actions. A monetary fine , suspension and forfeiture of future NFL Draft picks could very well cause irreparable damage to the image of Saints as an organization . Even with the joint statement and public apology to the fans and organization alike and with the duo of Loomis and Payton acknowledging that the franchise’s owner was unaware of the of the general manager and coach acted in unison with their former defensive coordinator , in enacting this rather dubious and distasteful act .
Can someone explain to me what would we now be discussing had one the league’s elite quarterback been incapacitated by one of these stupid acts ? With the apparent bounties said to be as high as $10,000 for taking out an offensive player be it a quarterback , wide receiver or running back . My question is , what the f#ck were Payton and Williams thinking to begin with ? Did it not occur to either the possible serious ramifications that their actions and decisions might have ?
Goodell , if he’s to prove that as the league’s highest ranking executive that he has a tight rein on the league that he has now been the custodian of since assuming the role as commissioner from Paul Tagliabue . I’ve never been totally convinced that the incumbent was the right man for the job in succeeding Tagliabue ! Roger Goodell is a mindless dimwit who was completely bamboozled by the NFLPA Executive Director DeMaurice Smith and the union’s executive committee during the deliberations in the renegotiating of CBA (collective bargaining agreement) . Were it not for Robert Kraft and senior union negotiating representative Jeff Saturday of the Indianapolis Colts I seriously doubt that there would have been some semblance of peace within the NFL as it currently stands ! Goodell and Smith jointly, may well be obtaining all of the praise but in all honesty does anyone believe that Roger Goodell was actually smart enough to deal with a former federal litigator for the US Justice Department as well as being a corporate attorney with noted DC law firm Patton Boggs LLC ? Simply put , DeMaurice Smith out-smarted his NFL counterpart in so many ways that it simply doesn’t bear thinking about !
Goodell either has to show he has some credibility or actually none at all . And at this juncture I’m inclined to believe that the commissioner hasn’t actually got a frigging backbone ! Anyone who can prove me to the contrary , then please let them do so succinctly ?
Now the big news of the day within the NFL is the fact that the Indianapolis Colts and their storied quarterback Peyton Manning have parted ways . After fourteen years with the same franchise when he was drafted by the Colts as the number one overall draft pick in the 1998 NFL Draft . It has now all come down to this , with the decision no doubt being made by Colts’ owner Jim Irsay in conjunction with GM Ryan Grigson made the this choice rather than having to pay the roster bonus of $28 million due on the 8th March , 2012. The consensus now appears to be that the Colts will take Stanford Cardinals’ quarterback Andrew Luck in the upcoming NFL Draft in April , 2012.
As one chapter ends , so another begins , as Manning now becomes an unrestricted free agent and perhaps the most sought after free agent quarterback that will be available this off-season . And now the scurrying begins for the teams now said to be in need of a quarterback . Let’s just now say that there will be more than a handful of teams now chasing after the services of Peyton Manning . Tom Condon as the player’s agent will no doubt pursue the most feasible and best possible destination for his client . Care to suggest where the quarterback may well end up ? Manning as one of the most productive quarterbacks in the NFL over the past decade will obviously want to play for a credible contender within the NFL . I’d say that this juncture , of the 32 NFL teams in the league perhaps there are four who are at least satisfied with their incumbent quarterback . So that would leave the remaining 28 franchises at least vying for the player’s skill-set . If you’re Woody Johnson , Mike Holmgren , Jerry Jones , Stanley Kroenke , Jeff Ireland , : Dan Snyder and Paul Allen are you quite possibly willing to pursue Peyton Manning ? Hell yeah ! I bet either of the aforementioned front office executives would give up their first-born , perhaps and donate the organ of a family member as a willing sacrifice , just to have Manning don their team’s uniform for a season ! Who wouldn’t be ?
Only a moron would seek not to do so !
” We love to blow s#it up ” . So someone please explain to me how it is that the Spanos family haven’t blown out A J Smith and Norv Turner as the general manager and head coach of the San Diego Chargers ? Did I miss something ? As this team simply stumbled out of the gate and simply pissed away the opportunity to be dominant within the AFC West and in my honest opinion the weakest division in the entire NFL !
Now with Philip Rivers having something of a down year by even his own lofty standards . But herein lies the caveat , if Rivers and this team were said to be inept then what does that say about Norv Turner and his entire coaching staff ? Far be it for me to suggest that a group of chimpanzees could have performed better in the roles as coaching and assistant coaching staff in such a premise but as a betting man I’d go with the damn chimps ! Because Turner has shown me f#ck all as a coach since he became the head coach of this franchise !.
With free agents …. Stephen Cooper , Luis Castillo , Patrick Crayton , Na’il Diggs , Jared Gaither , Antonio Garay , Steve Gregory , Nick Hardwick , Tommy Harris , Jacob Hester , Bob Sanders and Mike Tolbert and it appears that the Chargers apart from seeking cap space may well seek to build through the draft . Lord have mercy upon the souls of the Chargers’ fans with one more damn season of Norv Turner being in charge with a do-fuss such as A J Smith ! The infamous duo , have now become the Laurel & Hardy of the NFL and they sure as hell have made me laugh over the years , as to the positions that they hold within the Chargers’ organization ! That’s another skit to put to rest , in terms of the comedy of ” errors” that was on display with the San Diego Chargers in 2011 . Care to think why they won’t be anymore , in the 2012-13 season ? This organization’s window closed long ago and anyone who now believes to the contrary must be self medicating on Propofol or the opiates that may well be found in Whitney Houston’s system . ‘nough said on the matter I do believe !
If the Chargers have a real issue then it would have to be on both sides of the ball specifically their defense and their pass offense . As good as the receiving corp of the Chargers is said to be it became abundantly clear that the productivity sought simply wasn’t there. And with the organization also not seeking to “franchise tag” the wide receiver Vincent Jackson and thereby seeking cap relief .
With Norv Turner being retained by the Chargers in what many believe was a surprising decision by the front office . I have to admit that I was extremely surprised by this choice ! Much of this came down to the fact with the Denver Broncos’ surprising win of the AFC West , albeit with a sub-standard record . But then again when fans were simply in awe of the season had by the team’s quarterback Tim Tebow it goes to the issue as to how weak the division just happened to be and the lack of real quality of the teams within the AFC West ! Whether or not the problems with the Chargers has to do with the choices made in terms of their draft picks over the years or the jettisoning of players whom they thought to be no longer capable of playing for the organization . Then clearly the blame for the apparent mishaps lay squarely on the shoulders of A J Smith and Norv Turner , jointly ! Were Darren Sproles and LaDainian Tomlinson really past their prime ? Apparently not , but then again what do I know ?
As of now what the future truly holds for the San Diego Chargers who really knows ? But clearly the window of opportunity has closed for this organization and the task of rebuilding for the future has to start now rather than later . In my honest opinion, I firmly believe that this upcoming season will be Philip Rivers’ last with the organization as it now must come down to the ambition of the player and whether or not he’s viewed as this era’s version of Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino . Financially secure in some respects , I bet Rivers would give up half of his salary to be even within a whisker of raising the Lombardi Trophy as a triumphant Superbowl champion , on a championship caliber team ! The Chargers have never had that luxury and given the optimism of their long-suffering fans I am not so sure that they ever will . Definitely not with Norv Turner , in his current role as the head coach of this team working in conjunction with GM A J Smith .
Picture gallery for your perusal .
What thoughts if any do you have with regard to the salient points raised within this piece ? Simply leave a comment as you see fit , and as always thanks for the continued support !
Picture and slide show details below .
(1) Seen from left to right are Mickey Loomis , general manager of the New Orleans Saints alongside the team’s former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and head coach Sean Payton . Williams has publicly apologized for his actions in the scandal that has now embroiled the franchise as well as the Washington Redskins. Loomis and Payton , jointly have issued a public statement and apology of their own taking sole responsibility for the actions of Gregg Williams . With there now being harsh calls for severe punishment to be brought against the franchise as well Williams we now await a decision from the NFL hierarchy headed by Roger Goodell. Several owners are said to be angered by the actions of Williams and the Saints’ franchise. It remains to be seen what actions will possibly taken by Rams whose employment Williams is now in. With his reputation now tarnished it’s hard to envisage how St Louis Rams can continue to retain his services . AP Photo / Chris Cousins ……..
(2) Drew Brees (9) of the New Orleans Saints celebrates with team owner Tom Benson after defeating the Chicago Bears 30-13 at the Louisiana Superdome on September 18, 2011 in New Orleans, Louisiana. Getty Images North America /Chris Graythern ……
(3) ” I love you man ” ! Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay, front, hugs quarterback Peyton Manning after announcing that the NFL football team will release Manning during a news conference in Indianapolis, Wednesday, March 7, 2012. AP Photo/Michael Conroy …
(4) Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay, right, listens as quarterback Peyton Manning speaks during a news conference in Indianapolis, Wednesday, March 7, 2012. Manning’s record-breaking run as a quarterback for the Colts ended Wednesday, when Irsay announced the team would release its best player. AP Photo/Michael Conroy ….
(5) Indianapolis Colts head coach Chuck Pagano , right, and general manager Ryan Grigson listen as quarterback Peyton Manning speaks about being released by the team during a news conference in Indianapolis, Wednesday, March 7, 2012. AP Photo/AJ Mast …. ……
(6) San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers talks about lineman Kris Dielman , rear, during a news conference in which Dielman announced his retirement from NFL football, Thursday, March 1, 2012 in San Diego. AP Photo/Lenny Ignelzi ……….
(7) Phillip Rivers (17) of the San Diego Chargers looks away after arguing with Norv Turner during the game against the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field on November 20, 2011 in Chicago, Illinois. Scott Boehm/ Getty Images ……..
(8) Wide receiver …. Vincent Jackson (83) of the San Diego Chargers carries the ball on a 59 yard pass play in the second quarter against the Seattle Seahawks on August 25, 2008 at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego, California, setting up a Chargers touchdown. …..
(10) It’s not quite who’s in charge of the lunatic asylum now known as the San Diego Chargers . But do take time to your own choice . From left to right , team President & COO Dean Spanos , head coach Norv Turner and general manager A J Smith . AFP/ Cullen Williams
To read other posts within this site simply click unto the following link Tophatal’s blog
Dr Dre ….. feat’g Kurupt , Nate Dogg & Six Two …………. “Xxplosive ”