Go Buckeyes …….. Urban Meyer Is Back In Town & Ready To Throw His Weight Around
By tophatal ………..
Well it has to be said that Urban Meyer for all of his chutzpah has to my mind lost all credibility as to his standing . Not content in simply abandoning the Florida Gators program at the end of the 2010 season the coach saw fit to prematurely announce his retirement . My own perspective with regard to this all , it all boils down to the fact that Meyer and his then coaching staff had seen a decline in the team’s play after the departure of Tim Tebow to the NFL ; in 2010 . Taken 25th overall (first round) in the 2010 NFL Draft by the Denver Broncos , as we all know the player’s career has been well chronicled upon his arrival in the league (NFL) . The fact that he is now a member of the New York Jets speaks to the fact as how much a of “what have you done for me lately ” attitude that continues to exist within the league .
Slide show for your perusal .
In the aftermath of the Jim Tressel ” fiasco “ and the very fact that Gene Smith and university President Dr E Gordon Gee simply tried to negate the actions of the then beleaguered head coach indicated that they simply the violations of the NCAA rules by the program under Tressel showed how wayward the actions of the coach had been . Several players on the team and specifically team quarterback Terrelle Pryor were in large part at the center of the now factual allegations that brought about the sanctions that will see the football program being Bowl ineligible for this upcoming season , as well having lost several student athlete scholarships . The NCAA for its part under Mark Emmert have all but in essence given the Buckeyes’ program as a slap on the wrist . Collegiate Football and for all of the hypocrisy that exists within has not changed one iota and let’s be clear about something once and for all the NFL in its infinite wisdom loves nothing better than seeing the status-quo being maintained in spite of the continued controversies .
Meyer and his coaching staff this season will have to compete at a disadvantage against their Big Ten rivals . Urban Meyer with his 6 year $24 million contract in tow , now has to if anything , keep this program ticking over with a great deal of precision . He and former NFL player Mike Vrabel now have a team that if anything will have to prove that ills of 2010 has to be viewed as a thing of the past . With a slew of returning sophomores , juniors and seniors as well as the influx of freshmen hoping to make a significant contribution this season . Urban Meyer does have an extremely tough task ahead of him , and it will be these expectations that may well determine how he will be adjudged . Anything short of a winning record at least , will be seen as undoubted failure . Such are and have been the expectations of one of collegiate football’s most respected football programs throughout the years .
Meyer like his Pac 10 counterpart Lane Kiffin of USC (Trojans ) remains something of a ” pariah within the game of collegiate football and within the sport itself . As we now know USC was embroiled in a controversy of its own making that saw the athletics program sanctioned and placed on probation , therein losing scholarships for both the basketball and football programs . The actions of Tim Floyd and Pete Carroll to say the least were scurrilous and less than ethical in conjunction with that of then AD Mike Garrett . Anyone who’s of the belief that the trio were each without blame in any way either had to be downright stupid and anally retentive or simply of the opinion that the athletes at the center of this all were solely responsible , enabling the sanctions levied against USC . It has been left to Pat Haden having succeeded Mike Garrett , to clean up the mess and resurrect that athletics program . But the situation hasn’t been helped by Lane Kiffin’s antics since his installation as the head football coach and the very fact that the program has once again come under suspicion once again on several separate occasions. Can’t win ’em all they say ! Nice , at least you know what you’re getting with the USC Trojans , it goes with the adage of NASCAR . “If you ain’t cheatin’ then you ain’t tryin’ ” . ‘nough said on the matter !
E Gordon Gee , Gene Smith , and their own initial asinine stance was simply something that we have seen repeatedly by high-ranking academic officials when their programs have become suspect in a number of charges relating to academic fraud , recruiting violations which over the years have become a pattern of behavior. And even in light of their own in-house investigations into the school’s activities under Jim Tressel’s tenure leads me to believe that they may well have had their heads stuffed so far up their own ass that they couldn’t have possibly seen daylight !
Urban Meyer for his part , his tenure with the Florida Gators hasn’t been without controversy . Lack of accountability from the players and repeated allegations of criminal activity of which the coach would repeatedly lay the blame at the door of his predecessor Ron Zook , merely because the players in question were his recruits . If that’s not an indication of the self-aggrandizement of Urban Meyer and the very fact that the coach believes himself to be above suspicion is something that has now become atypical within the world of collegiate sports . Two BCS titles may go a long way in cementing Urban Meyer’s legacy as one of the best coaches in college football over the last decade but beyond that , he has simply had way too much baggage associated with him negatively . The Ashtabula , Ohio native will be under a great deal of pressure to succeed this season , even with the advent of knowing that the team is ineligible for a Bowl appearance . If nothing else all that Meyer can simply do , is to have his team play with a great deal of poise and ambition , if nothing else. Luke Fickell who succeeded Tressel on an interim basis did as much as could be asked of him but at the end of the day we knew that there was no way that he would be given the reins of the football program on a permanent basis.
And of the players one could positively delight in seeing with the Buckeyes this upcoming season , much of that will be predicated upon the play exhibited of last season but also how the players will acclimatize themselves to the playing schemes of Urban Meyer . I would certainly like to think that the tarnished and tainted image of the Ohio State Buckeyes can once again stand tall but there’s so much that would simply fall apart merely because of the continued pattern of behavior of the program and also that of Urban Meyer who has simply courted controversy but just like “The Teflon Don” …… John Gotti …. nothing ever seems to stick .
Of the players that I am most looking forward to seeing as the season comes into being , none more so than C J. Barnett , Zach Boren , Rod Smith , Braxton Miller and Darryl Wood who contributed greatly to the Buckeyes’ record 6-7 overall within the Big Ten standings (Leaders Division) in 2011 . However , if the Ohio State Buckeyes are to overcome the stellar performances of the Wisconsin Badgers (11-3) , Penn State (9-4) , Michigan State (11-3) , Michigan [Wolverines] (11-2) and Nebraska Cornhuskers (9-4) . Then , this season most certainly the players on the team will have to raise the level of their play , along with the coaching staff simply getting the very best out of the roster and themselves in particular .
For Urban Meyer , however , it will be the Buckeyes’ own conference schedule which will be the true determining factor this season as to how well he will fare . He has chosen to jump back into the cauldron of “fire” and that particular scene calls for him to test himself against the might of the Big Ten as well as the ” other powerhouses ” that the team will face over the course of their schedule . The funny thing is , one of the excuses used by the coach as a reason for Meyer’s stepping down while with the Florida Gators was the undue pressure , ill-health and the fact that he was unable to spend more time with his family . Now , I might hasten to add , if the SEC (SEC Conference) and the football played there is meant to be ” pressure packed “ , then what in hell does Urban Meyer expect to get or see once he gets into the full-blown maelstrom of the Big Ten and the expectations of the Buckeyes’ fans and their alumni ? Is this coach completely besides himself or simply that naive ? Your thoughts on the matter are certainly welcomed at this juncture !
With the idiocy we have seen of late concerning Bobby Petrino and his antics as the “now former head coach of Arkansas (Razorbacks) program . It has to be said that Urban Meyer’s issues pale into comparison when gauged against those of Petrino’s . Those notwithstanding , I have to ask this most pertinent of questions . If his actions upon on his hasty departure from the Atlanta Falcons wasn’t enough of a clear indication as to his less than seeming lack of honesty and integrity _____ his track record for simply having assistants depart from his association because of his lack of candor and being able to be truthful . Then why in hell would AD Jeff Long still consider Bobby Petrino a worthy candidate at the time ? Any thoughts on this matter ? Simply chime in as you see fit .
Picture gallery for your perusal .
Whether or not you happen to be a fan of D 1 Football what do you envisage seeing from Urban Myer and the Buckeyes this season ? And as such , do you feel that Bobby Petrino will ultimately make a return to college football in any capacity ? Or do you feel that he will be hired as a coordinator by an NFL franchise ? Again , simply chime in with a thought on this and anything else you feel pertinent to the subject matter .
Picture and slide show details below .
(1) Ohio State coach Urban Meyer, center, sings “Carmen Ohio” in front of the band after their spring NCAA college football game, Saturday, April 21, 2012, in Columbus, Ohio. AP Photo/Jay LaPrete ….
(2) Ohio State coach Urban Meyer coaches before the start of their spring NCAA college football game Saturday, April 21, 2012, in Columbus, Ohio. AP Photo/Jay LaPrete ….
(3) Ohio State quarterback Braxton Miller (5) , left, throws a pass over lineman Chris Carter during their spring NCAA college football game, Saturday, April 21, 2012, in Columbus, Ohio. AP Photo/Jay LaPrete …
(4) (4) This April 16, 2012 photo provided by The Ohio State University Athletic Department, shows Some 3,100 students surrounding the Ohio State University football team field goal unit during a live practice at the team’s indoor practice facility in Columbus, Ohio. According to the OSU athletic department, head coach Urban Meyer wanted to bring the students closer to his team, and his team closer to students, and consider that effort a complete success. AP Photo/The Ohio State University Athletic Department, Will Shilling @ copyrighted material …. all rights reserved .
(5) NEW ORLEANS, LA – JANUARY 04: Head coach Bobby Petrino of the Arkansas Razorbacks looks down in the third quarter against the Ohio State Buckeyes during the Allstate Sugar Bowl at the Louisiana Superdome on January 4, 2011 in New Orleans, Louisiana. According to sources on April 10, 2012, Bobby Petrino will not return as head coach of Arkansas following a scandal involving a motorcycle crash on April 1. Photo by Chris Graythen/Getty Images …..
(6) Seen here from left to right , Dr E Gordon Gee , university President of Ohio State , speaking at the dais the former head coach Jim Tressel (center) and the program’s athletics director Gene Smith , far right. Tressel issued a formal apology to the press and public alike for his involvement that embroiled the university in what is said to be numerous NCAA violations and which also had the university under investigation by the US Justice Department because of the association of several of the players with a known racketeer and gambler _ alleged gambling by members of the team . Jim Tressel was initially suspended by Smith but then later fired after it was revealed that he lied to senior members of the faculty as to the depth of his overall involvement in the scandal . AP Photo Nick Ross …..
(7) Gene Smith is seen here with Urban Meyer , just prior to the coach being formally announced as the new head coach of the Buckeyes football program . Meyer succeeded interim head coach Luke Fickell who still remains a member of Meyer’s coaching staff . It remains to be seen as to whether not the former Gators’ coach can replicate the success achieved with the University of Florida where he won two BCS national titles during his tenure . AP Photo /Aaron Talbot …….
If at all interested do take part in the above mentioned poll .
Mos Def ……….. ” Do It Now ”