I’m Not A Role Model Just An Athlete Looking For Respect …….
By tophatal ….. 14 May, 2012 ….. 22:57:39
I am not a role model but I am a man . And so it all comes down to this perhaps two of the NFL’s most alienating figures in within the league in the last decade . Wide receiver Terrelle Owens still seeks a return to the NFL , while his former teammate Donovan McNabb , himself a Pro Bowl player seeks to make his present felt . McNabb last played in the NFL in 2010 as a member of of the Minnesota Vikings , whereas Owens missed their entire NFL 2011 season schedule due to tearing his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his right knee. Owens’ agent , the lugubrious Drew Rosenhaus , who’ll no doubt look to parlay his client’s biggest attributes as being one of the NFL’s best wide receivers to ever have played the game.
Slide show gallery for your perusal .
Both Owens and McNabb are in the waning years of their respective careers and it begs the question will either of these players know exactly when to walk away from the game ? Both are self-confident </awith a belief in their ability and one cannot deny that at their best , these are two very capable players. In reality however , we have not seen the best out of either player in at least five years. Terrell Owens , however , may well have a greater need to make a quick return to the NFL , having somehow spent his way through the majority of his approximate $80 million in career earnings while owing the mothers of his five children in excess of $75 ,000 in child support payments . Rosenhaus , as the player’s agent states that it is not his client’s unwillingness to meet his financial obligations but until he gets all of his finances in order , he will be unable to meet those financial commitments at present . It’s highly unlikely that any family court judge would be amenable to such a premise . An unwillingness to pay and Terrell Owens could either find himself behind bars or having to forfeit property that would be taken by the courts and then sold to meet those financial obligations. Now it should also be noted , that these are not the only issues that the player has from a financial standpoint , as he’s said to owe the IRS in excess of $750,000 in back taxes , for which there has yet to be a settlement between the player and the federal government’s revenue agency .
And Owens in a recent television interview on the popular television program , the “Dr Phil Show , Terrell Owens tried to portray himself as a loving father , who loves his children but because of his career and business commitments , is unable to devote and spend more time with each of his children. Somehow over the last few years , Owens has parlayed his popularity with two short-lived reality shows on VH1 , namely the ” TO Show ” and ” TO-Ocho Show “ , for which he and Chad Ochocinco were well compensated . Not wanting to lambast Terrell Owens but who the hell is looking after his business affairs if it is not his agent or business manager ? What might be even more troubling for the player, is the very fact that the IRS is now said to be after the player for non-payment of taxes covering the financial year of 2010. Oh shit , that’s all he need , the taxman after his ass. As to Owens’ ambition to make a impact-full return to the NFL , it is obviously now dependent upon the largess of coaches and general managers within the league and their desire acquire an aging veteran wide receiver. And Terrell Owens can’t be too pleased in seeing Randy Moss come out of retirement to be signed by the San Francisco 49ers during the off-season . Moss joins a team that if anything was a surprise in the NFC , having made it to the NFC Championship game , with quarterback Alex Smith excelling in his role as regular season starting quarterback . Smith may well now look to build upon that year and cement himself as one of the better quarterbacks within the NFL .
It is highly unlikely that Terrell Owens will catch on with one of the teams deemed to be a legitimate contender within the NFL for the Superbowl . But that is obviously the course that Drew Rosenhaus has and will set for his client . It was common knowledge that he set about sending prospectuses to all 32 franchises within the NFL , only to be disappointed with their response. And this season , it will be no different as he will once again try to set the wheels in motion. Teams said to troubled with their receiving corp may well seek to assess the fitness of the player and whether or not he would be a good fit for a team. At this juncture I think it would pretty much safe to say that if there have been ” no takers” for Owens then there won’t be unless a team has receiver goes down injured during training camp or the preseason .
For Don McNabb , this very much comes down to pride after two seasons of pretty much being in the wilderness after several successful seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles . Five divisional championships and multiple championship appearances along with a Superbowl appearance pretty much cemented the player’s legacy with the franchise . In light of that however, with the emergence of Kevin Kolb and the team’s acquisition of Michael Vick and the veteran quarterback became superfluous to the Eagles’ needs. It has to be said that with McNabb being traded to the Redskins , he with was done no favors by the coaching staff led offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and head coach Mike Shanahan , and the idiocy of the schemes put into place for the player to lead this team . Pardon me for saying this but in my estimation the game has passed Mike Shanahan by and he’s simply living on the legacy of his success with the Denver Broncos and the two Superbowls , won there during his tenure ! Doubt my word, then simply look at the Redskins’ record 2010 and 2011 ? Never mind the team’s statistics during the two years ( 2010 & 2011 ) in question , and their divisional standings ( 2010 & 2011) .
Wherever the day now takes you and it would appear that for Donovan McNabb he has simply become a vessel sailing in the wide open spaces of the world’s oceans without a port to dock in . The quarterback believes his credentials good enough to make him a a viable candidate for the Hall of Famer , were he to retire . 37,254 passing yards , 234 TD’s and 117 INT’s may not on the face of it look all that impressive . But those statistics are certainly more impressive than a number of Hall of Fame inductees. The player may well find himself a team but I certainly don’t believe it will be as a starter on any of the top echelon franchises ! Will a backup role satisfy the veteran whereby he can wait in the wings , while tutoring a young quarterback ? Perhaps so , perhaps not . It’s crazy to think that two such polarizing figures now feel or think that they are both deserving of a roster spot with an NFL franchise .
Dean Spanos and A J Smith are under a great deal of pressure this upcoming season in more ways than , one for the NFL franchise that they oversee. The San Diego Chargers had to be a big disappointment for their fans in 2011 as well as the rest of the NFL fans who may have viewed this team as a viable contender for the Superbowl this past season. Somehow Norv Turner simply found a way of creating obstacles for themselves and simply falling over those obstacles like multiple pratfalls so often seen in the silent movies of the early twenties . You know the kind , often seen in the early the movies of Max Sennett and Hal Roach , those silent classics starred the Keystone Cops and Harold Lloyd .
The window of opportunity may well have closed , albeit not quite shut for this organization to prove itself. Philip Rivers arrived in San Diego , with all of the pomp and ceremony expected of a franchise quarterback . But instead those years have been filled with highs and lows . More highs than lows , if the truth be known and much of that failure can be squarely placed on the shoulders of Norv Turner. I don’t know that there has been a more overrated NFL coach in the last decade ! Turner , protege` of Jimmy Johnson but yet it looks as if the head coach has learned nothing at all from his mentor, Certainly not how to motivate his players , much less communicate with the individuals in question . God forbid , that someone can actually determine that there’s a leader on this team. Has Rivers showed that he’s a leader ? And clearly LaDainian Tomlinson while he was a player with this franchise was never entrusted with that role . If anything once the front office felt it necessary to off-load the player , then he was cast aside like a pair of old worn out shoes. And with Tomlinson’s departure the downward spiral for the San Diego Chargers continued unabated .
This NFL Draft , one would hope to be fortuitous for the Chargers and their aspirations for the upcoming season should it prove to be fruitful. Turner and the coaching staff , along with A J Smith saw fit to draft the players they felt would be of great benefit for the franchise . The Chargers should they fail this upcoming and I truly believe that Smith and Norv Turner will have to be removed from their current roles with this organization ! Failure has been the omnipresent issue for this franchise and its continuation with this coach general manager has to be looked upon as something that cannot be tolerated. It certainly would appear to be something that is awry with all of the NFL franchises within the state of California . Rarely have I heard the respective fans be critical of the prat-falls of the Chargers , Niners and in particular the recent years of futility by the Oakland Raiders . But it could either be that ….” apathy makes the heart grow fonder “ or it’s simply what one should come to expect of the fans in question ?.
The AFC West should prove to be very interesting this season with the Denver Broncos having acquired …… Peyton Manning while allowing last season’s hero Tim Tebow to depart elsewhere via trade . At the same time with team President & Head of Football Operations John Elway has gained wider control under the auspice of owner Pat Bowlen . Brian Xanders is now , no longer with the Broncos having left , in his role as the general manager. Whether or not , it was a difference in opinion between the former executive and Elway remains the subject of a great deal of speculation. And no formal statement has been forthcoming from the organization on the matter .
Manning was brought in to make the Broncos a resurgent force within the NFL once again . Now while there was a great deal of sentiment towards Tim Tebow and what he was able to achieve for the franchise during 2011 . The young quarterback led the team to their first divisional title in over five years and into the postseason where they would succumb to the New England Patriots in a rather lopsided 45-10 loss. And with the four teams within the division looking to make a greater showing than last season where in all honesty that 9-7 regular season record of the Denver Broncos wasn’t as impressive as it looked. Unfortunately , this what you tend to get from a division where what’s alleged to competitive football isn’t all that credible or competitive to begin with . Let’s hope that Merrill Hoge , Mark Schlereth , Chris Mortensen , Adam Shefter and Tim Hasselbeck can attest to that rather than “amping ” up the AFC West as if there’s some semblance of real football being played within the division , and that’s the idiocy of it all ! The buffoons there , at ESPN would rather serve up the usual diatribe rather than being informative and succinct with regard to their observations ! The four letter network ESPN ……… where banality has become the norm as as its sister network ABC and parent company , Disney Co. continue to ply the consumer with even larger amounts of fecal matter as they chase after even larger revenue streams of “untold billions of dollars “ , all in the sake of what they deem to be journalistic integrity . Shit tends rise when the toilet bowl hasn’t been flushed properly and that’s now clearly the case with this particular broadcast network .
Picture gallery for your perusal .
As the off-season begins to take shape with the teams’ mini-camps now taking shape do you believe that either Donovan McNabb or Terrell Owens will be signed by team during this time-span ? Or is it more likely that only one of these seasoned veterans will signed during the preseason or perhaps at the start of the regular season ? Simply chime in with a comment as you see fit .
Picture and slide show details below.
(1) Terrell Owens , seated left , is seen here on the “Dr Phil Show “ (Phil McGraw [center]) , confronted by three of the four women with whom he has fathered five children . The player owes the quartet in excess of $75,000 in child support , which he claims that he cannot pay due to financial difficulties . All three women claim Terrell is an absentee father who refuses to buy Christmas presents or birthday gifts because he believes it should be included in the child support. One mother complained Terrell has only seen their 7 year old daughter twelve times in her entire life. Another claimed Terrell wanted all the siblings to meet for the first time on his reality show so he could project a false image of himself as good father. Each said Terrell has gone for an entire year without seeing their child. Terrell claims all three women are gold diggers who only care about money and blamed his short comings on his upbringing. Nothing was settled by the end of the show. The NFL player having missed the entire 2011 season hopes to sign with a franchise in 2012 . Apart from his child support issues , Owens player also owes the IRS a large sum in back taxes with which he’s now trying to negotiate a settlement with the governmental agency . Courtesy of CBS & Viacom Inc/ Harpo Inc …
(2) NFL agent Drew Rosenhaus (foreground) is seen here with his client Terrell Owens conducting an interview with the convened press . The player and agent hope gauge the interest of the 32 franchises within the NFL in the hope Owens signing with a team . The veteran free agent did not player during the 2011 season due to an injury (torn ACL right knee ) in 2010 , from which he is now said to have fully recovered. AP Photo / Paul Howes …..
(3) Washington Redskins’ head coach Mike Shanahan is seen with the team’s newest signee former Eagles’ Pro Bowl quarterback Donovan McNabb in 2010. The player would have a troubled season with the franchise and would end up being traded to the Minnesota Vikings. Associated Press / Stu Metcalfe …
(4) Donovan McNabb #5 of the Minnesota Vikings looks to pass against the Dallas Cowboys in the first half on August 27, 2011 at Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome > in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Hannah Foslien / Getty Images ……
(5) SAN DIEGO, CA – MAY 11 : Head coach Norv Turner of the San Diego Chargers speaks to the media after a min-icamp workout on May 11, 2012 in San Diego, California. Photo by Kent C. Horner/Getty Images …..
(6) DENVER, CO – APRIL 26: Fans are welcomed in for the 6:00 AM opening of the Denver Broncos Team Store at Sports Authority Field at Mile High for the debut of the new 2012 Nike NFL team jersey on April 26, 2012 in Denver, Colorado. The team store offered the jerseys, including quarterback Peyton Mannings first Broncos jersey, in an exclusive 24-hour period on April 26 before they are available anywhere else. Photo by Doug Pensinger/Getty Images …..
(7) From left to right , Denver Broncos’ owner Pat Bowlen , newly acquired quarterback Peyton Manning and President of Operations John Elway . A new era begins for the franchise with the renowned veteran quarterback expected to lead the charge this season . AP Photo / Mark Hughes …..