A Deal Is A Deal , Or Is It ?
So , Dwight Howard after all of the stalling , insufferable and infantile behavior , has finally stated what everyone knew . He wants out , and he wants “out now” . The Orlando Magic center and three-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year making demands of the front office led by team COO Alex Martins and newly installed general manager Rob Hennigan .
Slide show .
Howard and his agent Dan Fegan now having made their intentions clear that the center would like to be traded to the Brooklyn/New Jersey Nets . The center who is a restricted free agent had originally sought a long-term deal with the franchise but ever since the heated exchange and meltdown in his relationship former head coach , Stan Van Gundy . The writing has been in essence on the wall , wherein with the abrupt firing of Van Gundy , it was either Howard remains , or he would depart from the only professional franchise he has ever played for. Rob Hennigan could proceed to meet the demands of the disruptive center but he could also seek the trade of the player elsewhere . The Nets have very few pieces on their current roster that would be desirable for the Orlando Magic . And with New Jersey Nets’ owner Mikhail Prokhorov and GM Billy King now looking to retain the services of his franchise’s heralded point guard Deron Williams . One could attest to the fact that the billionaire owner will move heaven and earth , to make it possible to have both Williams and Howard on the team roster for the start of the 2012-13 season . It may well take a multi-player , multi-player trade to facilitate such a deal . The requirement for such deals are that the salaries of the players in question must be a match or within 5% of the salaried contract. Williams however , has garnered the interest of the Dallas Mavericks and team owner Mark Cuban .
The Mavericks are in need of a replacement for seasoned veteran Jason Kidd , who it appears may well be superfluous to the team’s needs . Deron Williams for his part has met with Cuban and GM Donn Nelson to discuss a possible deal that would see the player sign a long-term multi-year deal . However, with the possibility that Dwight Howard could possibly be joining him as a teammate could stall the player’s decision to leave the Brooklyn Nets . At the same time , Williams has made it clear that he would like to have situation completed , in order that he can focus his attention on his preparations as a member of Team USA for the Summer Olympics in London , England .
The Orlando Magic’s fall from grace has been to the dismay of their fans and was self-evident with the team’s anemic display in the first round of the NBA Playoffs . The Philadelphia 76ers dispatched the Orlando Magic with utmost ease (4-1) , with the Magic being a complete embarrassment throughout the series . This team was not built for success and that is in spite of the rather asinine comments of the franchise’s former head coach , Stan Van Gundy and then general manager Otis Smith . The roster had ill-fitting pieces and at no time was there any cohesion being shown by the players over the course of the season .
The acrimony between Dwight Howard and the Magic organization cannot be quantified and it does not bode well for the franchise as they proceed forward . Hennigan has yet to hire a head coach to succeed Stan Van Gundy , and even with the drafting of Andrew Nicholson in the first round (19th overall) of the NBA Draft , to be followed by Kyle O’Quinn , you simply get the feeling that the franchise is at a loss as to the direction that they now need to be heading in . There is such disarray within the Orlando Magic as an organization , that is extremely difficult to view them as legitimate threat within the Eastern Conference of NBA , much less throughout the league as a whole .
With such individuals as Brendan Malone and Patrick Ewing still remaining on the coaching staff , it seems inconceivable that neither has been given the common courtesy of being granted an interview for the vacant head coaching position with the Orlando Magic . Team owner Rich De Vos seems to be completely oblivious as to problems of his beleaguered franchise and one cannot help but wonder if with the departure of Dwight Howard , we will see a significant decline in the value of this organization . By conservative estimates , the franchise is said to be worth $385 million , which ranks eleventh among the league’s thirty teams .
The Orlando Magic’s starting point guard Jameer Nelson has decided to opt out of his contract and it remains highly unlikely that he will return to the franchise . As the team’s third highest paid player on the roster , conversely one could ask the question during the reign of Otis Smith , what was the general manager seeking to achieve ? His failures and that of Stan Van Gundy have been highlighted and well chronicled over the course of their tenures . At no time could you genuinely state this team or in their previous guises while the duo oversaw the on-field personnel provided the fans with a great deal of excitement . The Orlando Magic has always been offensively challenged and they simply “lived and died “ with their three point shooting . When they were hot , then they were extremely good . On the opposite end of the spectrum , when they were bad , then they would have been better off working on a construction site , laying bricks . It has been this sort of ineptitude , that has been indicative of what we have seen by the Orlando Magic , and those purporting to suggest that this franchise was good enough to win because they played to their biggest greatest strengths .
If the perceived upheaval does take place , then it sets the Orlando Magic back several years . The last time there was an upheaval of this magnitude , it led to the acquisition of Shaquille O’Neal as a free agent by the Los Angeles Lakers in 1997 . And that renowned franchise by no means having an aversion to drama are themselves in the midst of uncertainty , after a season of great disappointment and underachievement . It is believed that GM Mitch Kupchak , head coach Mike Brown and Jim Buss , son of team owner , Jerry Buss , will assess the needs of the team this offseason , as they seek to remain a perennial contender for the NBA title . This past season for the Lakers , it was simply about Kobe Bryant once again taking this team on his shoulders while his teammates remained a constant audience on the sidelines , giving little aid , if any , to the shooting guard . Whether or not this leads to a major upheaval , with a number of players being jettisoned this offseason , it remains to be seen as to the possible decisions that will be made . You simply get the feeling that Jerry Buss and Lakers’ hierarchy were not too tolerant of the team’s poor performances the regular and postseason . Kobe Bryant always known as a fierce competitor has to be viewed as a player now in the declining years of what has been an illustrious career .
Picture gallery , for your perusal .
What thoughts if any do you have concerning Dwight Howard and his request for a trade ? And do you believe that organization should acquiesce to the player’s request ? By all means do leave a comment as you deem fit on this and anything else you believe to the subject matter .
Slide show and picture gallery details below .
(1) Rob Hennigan , the new general manager of the Orlando Magic NBA basketball team, speaks during a news conference, Thursday, June 21, 2012, in Orlando, Fla. AP Photo/John Raoux …
(2) Orlando Magic CEO Alex Martins, left, shakes hands with Rob Hennigan, center, the new general manager of the NBA basketball team, next to the team’s chairman, Dan DeVos , at a news conference Thursday, June 21, 2012, in Orlando, Fla. AP Photo/John Raoux …
(3) FILE – This April 3, 2012 file photo shows Orlando Magic head coach Stan Van Gundy watching from the sidelines during the first quarter of an NBA basketball game against the Detroit Pistons, at the Palace in Auburn Hills, Mich. The Magic have fired coach Van Gundy after a rocky season. The moves came Monday, May 21, 2012 after the team’s second straight first-round playoff exit. AP Photo/Carlos Osorio ….
(4) ORLANDO, FL – DECEMBER 18: Orlando Magic General Manager Otis Smith speaks to the media regarding the acquisition of Gilbert Arenas from the Washington Wizards, Jason Richardson, Hedo Turkoglu, and Earl Clark from the Phoenix Suns at Amway Arena on December 18, 2010 in Orlando, Florida. It was reported on May 21, 2012 that the Orlando Magic fired Head Coach Stan Van Gundy and GM Otis Smith. Photo by Sam Greenwood/Getty Images …
(5) FILE – In this April 9, 2012, file photo, Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard, left, leaves the court after the Magic’s 119-89 win over the Detroit Pistons in an NBA basketball game in Orlando, Fla. Howard told ESPN.com he will have season-ending back surgery on Friday, April 20, to repair a herniated disk. The operation will also prevent Howard from playing in the Olympics in London. AP Photo/Phelan M. Ebenhack ….
(6) Orlando Magic coach Stan Van Gundy, right, and Dwight Howard smile at each other as Howard comes off the floor in the first half of an NBA basketball game against the Philadelphia 76ers, Saturday, April 7, 2012, in Philadelphia. AP Photo/Michael Perez …
(7) Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant wipes his face with his jersey during the first quarter of Game 5 in their NBA basketball Western Conference semifinal playoff series against the Oklahoma City Thunder, Monday, May 21, 2012, in Oklahoma City. Oklahoma City won 106-90 . AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki …
(8) Los Angeles Lakers NBA basketball team’s new head coach Mike Brown (2nd L) poses with team owner Jerry Buss (2nd R), Vice President of Basketball Operations Jim Buss (L) and general manager Mitch Kupchak after a news conference in Los Angeles, California, May 31, 2011. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson UNITED STATES – Tags: SPORT BASKETBALL …
Hot chic pic of the day actress Gracre Park of ‘Hawaii Five-O ‘ fame .