Seek life elsewhere , or better yet , go take a leap off a short pier
by Tophatal …
The NFL — preseason has begun with all of the expectations the fans would come to expect of their teams . Meanwhile, this could very well be the year that for one more reason than another managerial casualty is likely to fall. It certainly has not gone unnoticed that the league will be operating under the premise of replacement referees presiding over the preseason games. For some reason the league hierarchy has seen fit to make an already bitter confrontation between the league and the NFLRA (referees’ union) into an even more contentious situation . It would appear that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has simply learned absolutely nothing at all from the hierarchy’s rather inane deliberations during their six-month long impasse that led to a great deal of vitriol between the NFL and the NFLPA . If I should hear one more asinine notion that the league came out of those deliberations as the victor, I am liable to go off an expletive laden rant against the individuals in question ! The deal ratified by and voted on by DeMaurice Smith, that is said to represent a decade-long era of peaceful coexistence between the two parties, has become a complete and utter joke . How else can one now explain the now tenuous relation between the two-high ranking executives, in Roger Goodell and his union counterpart , DeMaurice Smith?
Slide show .
The relationship between the commissioner and the executive director has become so cooled that one seriously doubts that the duo communicate with each other directly. Communiques among the duo are probably handled by their subordinates . Furthermore, take into account the ongoing mess borne out of the New Orleans Saints’ scandal and the very fact that the league and Goodell are the subject of a joint and separate legal lawsuits brought by Jonathan Vilma . The Saints’ in his defamation suit seeks his reinstatement as well as punitive monetary damages from the hierarchy . Now unless I am mistaken this now bring s the number of legal actions the NFL is the subject of as either a defendant or plaintiff , to a total of 25 and counting . Far be it for me to suggest but there is now more action to be found in the courtrooms than from some of the putrid performances we have witnessed in the preseason ! At this juncture I’m not overly impressed by number of the games and the somewhat poor officiating by the replacement referees brought in at the insistence of the league hierarchy. Roger Goodell at his very best , well to suggest he is inept as the federal government has to leave you wondering whether not he missed his vocation in life ? God knows, since he assumed the reins from his predecessor Paul Tagliabue , it has been repeated pratfalls by this particular NFL executive !
Also at this juncture , what cannot be overlooked is how the odds-makers in Las Vegas look at the present malaise within the NFL ? How will the lines be affected , when knowing that these preseason games will be affected by the every decision that amounts to a mistake on the part of the adjudication officials ? And if this idiocy should carry over into the regular season , then what then should be made of the unfolding situation ? Clearly , this could not have been foreseen by the betting sports’ books in not only Las Vegas but also in Atlantic City , New Jersey .
So two lauded NFL franchises , the Dallas Cowboys and Oakland Raiders , were able to put on such an inept performance , which resulted in a 3-0 victory for the Cowboys . And no, that is not a misprint in terms of the final result , which if anything was something a damn misnomer . Cruel and unusual punishment , I believe for the fans in attendance that the O Coliseum , in Oakland, California ! Why should they have to endure such crap while still having to pay full price ? Well , beyond that , is there anyone of the belief that either of these two teams will be in contention within their respective divisions this Superbowl in the postseason ? Well, beyond that need we be reminded that going into week two the preseason schedule the fans will be asked to endure the embarrassment of seeing replacement officials adjudicate the games . And while that idiotic premise remains , with their being no solid movement s in the ongoing negotiations , I would hate to federal government be brought in to provide both parties with a binding arbitration agreement . Both sides are bound to be pissed , should a scenario arise .
How much , is too much , in terms of the coverage being provided by ESPN , as every non story concerning the New York Jets is delved into , as if it were groundbreaking news ? If Tim Tebow has a bowel movement , I do not need to be advised or reminded by Sal Paolantonio that the player’s stool was either brown or soft . Because as of now , that remains the only uncovered feature that has not been analyzed in-depth by the broadcast outlet, as they search to make the young quarterback an even bigger news story than he actually needs to be. Now , ever since his acquisition by the Jets , every imaginable utterance by Tebow has somehow been recorded for prosperity by ESPN. And while there appears to be some interest player’s teammate , starting quarterback , Mark Sanchez , I wonder if this much dedicated coverage would be devoted to the second year quarterback were he anyone else ?
Rex Ryan and his coaching staff were somewhat aggressive in the draft , seeking players who can make an immediate contribution to the team . With Tony Sparano being brought in to be the offensive coordinator , the talk has been about whether or that “one-trick-pony “ of the “wildcat offense” will be adopted as part of the team’s offense . Given the issues of the New York Jets last season as they sought to make themselves more competitive on a number of fronts , the Jets’ limited offensive capabilities were exposed for all to see .
Week one of the preseason schedule the saw the New York Jets as the guests of the Cincinnati Bengals in a game between these two ambitious AFC teams . Bengals’ head coach Marvin Lewis , will no doubt be looking to build upon the exploits of last season when his young team made the playoffs for the first time since 2009. It is that sort of momentum that the franchise seeks, as they look to build upon on their showing of last year. The game (17-6) itself between these two teams was very uneven in terms of its pace and that is to be expected , when one takes into account that the players are still seeking to get themselves into game-shape competition . With that as a premise, even with third and fourth-stringers on the field of play , the fans should expect so much more . After-all , they are being asked to pay regular season ticket prices for games that in essence are meaningless , albeit that the teams will nets themselves several million dollars at the expense of the fans. Diluted product or not, the NFL hierarchy has a great deal of explaining to do as it relates marketed product of the preseason . . As it now relates to the Jets, they’re being hyped as a team that’s once again on the rise , a premise which I am convinced is dubious in its nature ! This is a team that is offensively challenged and whose biggest offensive threat , Santonio Holmes , is now amongst the walking wounded with a severe rib injury.
It had to happen and it did . In light of the latest missteps in the rather understated career of Chad Johnson , you simply knew that the roller-coaster he was riding on would be derailed . Having joined the Miami Dolphins as a free agent , the wide receiver was expected to lead a young receiving corps under first-year coach Joe Philbin . There was a reason why , the former Packers’ offensive coordinator was lured away from that franchise to coach the Dolphins. Philbin bring along with him a great deal of credibility, as well as the fact that he was the calming and guiding influence that turned Aaron Rodgers into an “elite quarterback” . The same is being asked of the coach , as the front office seeks his guidance to groom their first round draft pick Ryan Tannehill .
With all of the behind-the-scenes warts and all revelations that comes about from the HBO sports’ magazine program “Hard Knocks” , there would be no way Johnson would overlook the chance to further showcase himself and his gregarious antics . Apart from his garrulous behavior , Chad Johnson sought to publicize his marriage to television reality show star , Evelyn Lozado and their then , upcoming VH1 reality show entitled show “ Chad & Evelyn “ .
Well with his now infamous physical assault of his wife of a mere 45 days , the two are now in the process of being divorced , as Lozado has since filed the petition to have marriage dissolved. That event as heinous as it is , was not the sole reason for the player’s dismissal from the Miami Dolphins. Chad Johnson’s on air antics during his face time interview with Hard Knock’s reporters left a great deal to be desired . Much of his expletive laden exchanges were simply being done to highlight the player as he felt it was the best way to make himself further known . What might be even more unpalatable however, was the player’s admittance of having the propensity to use marijuana and frequently doing when among his own small entourage . This would not be the only admission from the player as he also stated that it was his wish to be an established adult entertainer/porn star . Given the family friendly environment being created by the Dolphins’ billionaire owner , Stephen “Steve” Ross , Chad Johnson’s antics flew in the face of everything that the owner was trying to establish .
Joe Philbin may well have stated that Johnson’s failure to fit in with the environment he sought to create with the team but in all honesty which premise are you likely to believe as to the real reason for the player’s dismissal ? Spousal abuse cannot be condoned or tolerated in any form , and for the player not to show any act of contrition , in light of the revelation of the attack until some 48 hours after his release from jail . It smacks of another instance where an athlete thinks of himself bigger than the environment in which he resides beyond believing in the printed content by the press , as to his notoriety. Furthermore , GM Jeff Ireland and the Dolphins had to have known what they were getting, in a simmering powder keg and incendiary device such Chad Johnson . I mean his track record spoke for itself in recent years , and it is not as of the signs were not there already given his appearance on his then fiancé’s show (Basketball Wives), where their relationship can be best described as highly volatile and combustible . Now everything has been blown the f##k up and it would take a really desperate owner or front office executive , who would now seek to acquire the troubled player. Bear in mind , that were he to be signed by another NFL franchise he would be subject to a mandatory 4 game suspension under the league’s rules relating to player conduct. Johnson’s career I now believe is at a crossroads, and as astute an agent as Drew Rosenhaus claims to be , even he cannot be sure that he can save , much less resurrect his client’s eleven-year veteran career . This was one great big cluster-f##k of Chad Johnson’s own making, and he only has himself to blame for this mess ! Care offer up your thoughts on the matter ?
What are your impressions of the NFL preseason thus far ? And do you believe that the league hierarchy has once again made a monumental mistake in the handling a labor related issue as it relates to the referees ? By all means do leave a comment on this and anything else you believe pertinent to the subject matter .
Picture and slide show details below for your perusal
(1) NFLPA Executive Director DeMaurice Smith (left) is seen here with his counterpart, Roger Goodell, commissioner of the NFL . Although the league’s labor issues are said to have been resolved , the relationship between the two high-ranking executives has become testy and extremely tepid . At present the union is backing its member Johnathan Vilma in his lawsuit against Goodell and the league in US Federal court , in New Orleans , Louisiana . Greg Pardue / AP Photo …. (2) Oakland Raiders quarterback Terrelle Pryor (6) looks to pass as offensive tackle Joe Barksdale (72) blocks Dallas Cowboys defensive end Kenyon Coleman (99) during the second half of an NFL preseason football game in Oakland, Calif., Monday, Aug. 13, 2012. AP Photo/Ben Margot ….
(3) Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo (9) talks with an official during the first quarter of an NFL preseason football game against the Oakland Raiders in Oakland, Calif., Monday, Aug. 13, 2012. AP Photo/Ben Margot ..
(4) Oakland Raiders head coach Dennis Allen , right, talk with an official during the third quarter of an NFL preseason football game against the Dallas Cowboys in Oakland, Calif., Monday, Aug. 13, 2012. P Photo/Tony Avelar ….
(5) Tim Tebow (15) of the New York Jets runs down-field on a punt coverage against the Cincinnati Bengals during a preseason NFL game at Paul Brown Stadium on August 10, 2012 in Cincinnati, Ohio. The Bengals would defeat the Jets 17-6 . Getty Images North America / Joe Robbins ….
(6) Tim Tebow (15) of the New York Jets looks to pass the ball against the Cincinnati Bengals during an NFL preseason game at Paul Brown Stadium on August 10, 2012 in Cincinnati, Ohio. Joe Robbins /Getty Images …
(7) Tim Tebow (15) and Mark Sanchez (6) of the New York Jets warm up before a preseason NFL game against the Cincinnati Bengals at Paul Brown Stadium on August 10, 2012 in Cincinnati, Ohio. Joe Robbins /Getty Images …
(8) FILE – In this Sunday, July 29, 2012 file photo, Miami Dolphins’ Chad Johnson practices during NFL football training camp in Davie, Fla. Police say Dolphins receiver Chad Johnson has been arrested on a domestic violence charge, accused of head-butting his newlywed wife (Evelyn Lozado) during an argument in front of their home in Davie, Fla. The player has since been released by the Dolphins’ ,with the front office acknowledging that Johnson simply did not fit in with the team’s requirements or the direction they were said to be heading in . AP Photo/Terry Renna ….
(9) Miami Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin talks to reporters during a news conference after NFL football training camp in Davie, Fla., Monday, Aug. 13, 2012. AP Photo/Alan Diaz …
(10) From left to right seen here are GM Jeff Ireland , head coach Joe Philbin and the Miami Dolphins’ multi-billionaire owner Stephen Ross . Ross gave the go-ahead for Johsnon’s release , having voiced his displeasure with the player’s on air behavior , while being interviewed on the HBO program “Hard Knocks” . Chad Johnson’s arrest for spousal abuse only exacerbated things further, concerning his behavior . It now leaves the veteran wide receiver without a team but with his agent Drew Rosenhaus now working eagerly to find a new home for the troubled wide receiver . AFP Photo / Tony Hall ……
(11) Chad Johnson is seen here with his wife , Evelyn Lozado on their wedding 4th July , 2012 at their wedding reception . A mere 42 days later , Lozado has filed for divorce from her husband, after his unprovoked attack , during which she questioned the player’s infidelity having found list of phone numbers and a packet of prophylactics(condoms) in the glove compartment of their vehicle . Johnson , according to the affidavit by Ms Loado head butted her (victim). The player’s claims, are that the “alleged head butt” was accidental and that far too much was being read into the incident . In light of his being released by the Miami Dolphins, Johnson has since offered a public apology to his fans , the NFL organization and to his wife , Evelyn Lozado . Drew Rosenhaus , the agent of the beleaguered wide receiver believes that his client will be back in the NFL in the very near future . @ copyrighted material Ennis & Coles … all rights reserved .