Come hard, don’t come soft, better yet, just take your broke ass home !
The NFL kicks off its 93rd season, with the season opener , for which the New York Giants will host their NFC East counterparts, the Dallas Cowboys . As the reigning Superbowl champions (SBXLVI-SB46), the Giants under their esteemed coach Tom Coughlin will be seeking to make another to successful run to the Superbowl . And given the franchise’s recent success in 2007 and 2011 , the franchise in the latter half of this decade might be viewed as having the makings of a dynasty .
Slide show .
Of late, the series’ match-up between these two venerable franchises , has been something of a mismatch and lopsided affair, that has favored the New York Giants . From 2005, through to 2011-12 seasons, the Giants have won ten of the sixteen times, that the duo have faced each other. And it has been this sort of debacle that seems to seen the growing resentment by Dallas Cowboys’ owner Jerry Jones , whose perceived jealousy can be seen as permeating through how he now views the Giants’ franchise. In 2010, Jones viewed it, as the season where his beloved Cowboys would be the first team in NFL history to host and be a participant in the Superbowl. Unfortunately, for the beleaguered Dallas Cowboys and their long-suffering fans it was not to be , as their season “petered out” with a whimper, with the team finishing 6-10 within the NFC East , and once again failing to make the postseason . If anything it has consistently begun to grate on Jerry Jones’ nerves , as to the continued ineptitude shown by the franchise , which if anything has led to the revolving door of coaches that have held the head coaching position for the Dallas Cowboys, over the last decade. There has been more traffic passing through the doors of the Cowboys , than passes through the Holland Tunnel . Granted, we know that Jerry Jones does not suffer fools gladly , however a great many of the Cowboys’ continued problems stems from the issue of his reluctance to relinquish the reins as the team’s general manager . His limited success by way of the NFL Draft in recent years , has been profoundly unsuccessful and seemingly unproductive . With the exception of , 2003 , 2005 and 2007 , one could attest to the fact that the pickings in terms of the personnel drafted has been slim if not , anemic !
In 2012 , Jones , head coach , Jason Garett and the coaching assistants have gone about drafting the players that they believe will be complementary to the existing roster as well as acquiring players through free agency. Morris Clairborne , Tyrone Crawford, Kyle Wilber , Matt Johnson , Danny Coale , James Hanna and Caleb McSurdy , will be the players to whom , Jason Garret , seeks to show that they have what it takes to make it in the NFL . These draftees, apart from being the Cowboys’ platoon of 2012 will have their “baptism of fire” and introduction to the league as the team’s schedule unfolds over the course of this season.
A great deal about this season for the Dallas Cowboys will primarily rest squarely upon the shoulders of the team’s quarterback > Tony Romo . In many ways, as he goes , so does this team and it is in many ways a reflection of the franchise as a whole . In 2011 , the player had the most productive season of his eight-year career , albeit that it simply wasn’t enough to guide the Cowboys to their desired destination. I have felt that Romo is a very good regular season quarterback , however once the postseason comes around , he becomes a deer caught in the headlights of an oncoming vehicle ! Suffice to say, this becomes the time of the season where Romo is at his most vulnerable, and it pretty much underscores the fact why he is over-rated !
Coming into this opening game on the Cowboys’ schedule , beyond Romo’s issues , the team has to deal with the health of tight-end , Jason Witten, who suffered a lacerated spleen during the preseason . It will be a game-time decision as to whether not the player will be suited up to play against the New York Giants . Without Witten, it simply makes the Cowboys’ offense that much weaker , as the tight-end happens to be one of Romo’s favorite targets as well as being a reliable security blanket , when all else fails concerning the team’s offensive options.
Defensively, the Cowboys have been known to have their good and bad day , and it with Rob Ryan installed as the defensive coordinator , it was felt that he would bring the discipline needed to a secondary that ranked fourteenth overall in the NFL and fifth within the NFC during 2011. And clearly, if the Cowboys are to have any semblance of success this season , the defense , just as much of the offense will have to be clicking on all cylinders . To my mind, the Dallas Cowboys’ best player, would be linebacker , DeMarcus Ware . Drafted in the first round as the eleventh overall pick in 2005 NFL Draft , the player has proven to be one of most productive players at the position in the past seven years . If he Ware maintains his current pace , in terms of his own productivity , then there is no reason to think that he won’t be enshrined in Canton , having met the criteria upon his retirement for enshrinement into the Hall of Fame . Given the venerable list of linebackers who played the position, and who are now enshrined within that esteemed body , Ware’s future home in joining the likes of Chuck Bednarik , Dick Butkus , Chris Doleman , Ray Nitschke , Mike Singletary , Derrick Thomas , Lawrence Taylor and the other fifteen enshrined that make up the twenty-three luminaries would be a worthy distinction and accolade .
I do not believe that there is much else that needs to be said concerning the achievements of the New York Giants over the past six years , beyond suggesting that both Tom Coughlin and his young quarterback , Eli Manning , are more likely than not , writing their own chapters to add to their legacies , as it relates to future enshrinement in Canton, Ohio. A two-time Superbowl winner, Manning has already surpassed his elder sibling , Peyton Manning , in having raised the Lombardi Trophy on more than one occasion . The possibility of him winning a third Superbowl title, within eight years of having been drafted by the San Diego Chargers in 2004 , only to be traded by the franchise to the New York Giants . The thought of that premise , does not now seem out of the realms of reality . As to what this might suggest about the Chargers’ position in acquiescing to the player’s demands at the time , it would suggest that GM A.J. Smith and the Spanos’ family as owners of the San Diego Chargers , do not possess a great deal of acumen. Albeit , that the fans have now labored under the belief that Philip Rivers will be able to lead the team to the “ Promised Land “ , under the guidance of Norv Turner . Son of a bitch , Turner still has a job in the NFL ? OK , so I guess that it is alright, for Rep Henry Waxman (D-CA,.) to hold on to his congressional seat in perpetuity ? Unless I’m mistaken it would appear that Dean Spanos does have the propensity to fire his general manager or head coach , then again , I should not at all be surprised by the sheer stupidity that has been shown by the Chargers’ front office during Norv Turner’s reign of ineptitude !
From 2004 until now , we have seen the Giants reach the highest of highs and lowest of lows , as the diverging paths of these two quarterbacks have taken different paths . One wonders what might have happened , had Eli Manning remained in San Diego and Philip Rivers , remained a member of the New York Giants . Would the chapters that have unfolded , could they have been so different ? Your thoughts on this are more than welcomed , so by all means chime in with a comment ! To see how both have fared within the NFL since 2004 , is to view how both of these quarterbacks , and to witness what can go right and indeed what can go horrendously wrong, when the environment is not to that players’ skill-set . Manning has been surrounded with a plethora of offensive weapons over the years , which has seen his gradual improvement into one the game’s best quarterbacks . Certainly, this should not necessarily negate from Rivers’ accomplishments in the NFL but it has become it is abundantly clear , that he has been ill-served by the coaching ability of Norv Turner and the lack of genuine talent made available to him through the NFL Draft by the San Diego Chargers .
As the Giants embark upon their regular season schedule , I have no doubt that much of the success that they will undoubtedly attain , will be predicated upon the play of Eli Manning and his offensive unit , led by Victor Cruz , Martellus Bennett , Ahmed Bradshaw, Da’Rell Scott , Ramses Barden and David Wilson . That being said , we should not forget one of the other things that simply makes the Giants a formidable adversary , and that it a defensive unit that is anchored by Jason Pierre-Paul, Rocky Bernard , Mathias Kiwanuka , Osi Umenyiora and Justin Tuck . Just bring your bucket and pail to work , because that unit will be coming , and they are prepared to “ lay the smack down” . You have been forewarned .
Picture gallery .
Now given the proclivity of the Dallas Cowboys in recent seasons to simply fold their tents and then for the players, coaches and management to offer up those ever-growing and immature excuses as to why they buckled under pressure . Well, that can easily be put down to the fact that the team has never been as good as advertised . Yet , repeatedly each season they are viewed as a legitimate contender for the Superbowl. As to what that tells you about the myopic views of the NFL analysts and odds-makers within Las Vegas. I will simply let you be the judge of that ! Needless to say , at some point during the season the Dallas Cowboys will become snake bitten, and once again the excuses will arise . Would you anything less , from “ America’s Overrated Team” ? By all means chime with a comment on this topic and anything else that you may well feel is pertinent to the NFL season that is about to unfold . Thanks as always for the continued support , as it is greatly appreciated !
Picture and slide show details .
(1) This Aug. 29, 2012 photo, New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning (10) warms up before a preseason NFL football game against the New England Patriots in East Rutherford, N.J. Manning is no longer living in the shadow of his big brother. The New York Giants quarterback enters the kickoff to the NFL season against the Dallas Cowboys on Wednesday night as a two-time Super Bowl MVP. He’s now unquestionably among the league’s elite after leading Tom Coughlin’s team to two titles in five seasons, and a third title is a distinct possibility with the 31-year-old seemingly getting better coming off a career season . AP Photo/Bill Kostroun ….
(2) FILE – In this Aug. 24, 2012, file photo, New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning (10) hands the ball to running back David Wilson (34) during the first half of an NFL preseason football game against the Chicago Bears in East Rutherford, N.J. The running game, which was the worst in the NFL in 2011, has a chance to run over people if first-round draft choice Wilson lives up to the hype. The Giants are scheduled to begin their season on Sept. 5 at home against the Dallas Cowboys. AP Photo/Bill Kostroun ….
(3) In this Aug. 24, 2012, file photo, New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin claps in front of quarterback Eli Manning as his team warms up before a preseason NFL football game against the Chicago Bears in East Rutherford, N.J. Coughlin knows the Giants can’t afford another 9-7 regular season if they want to become the ninth team _ the Steelers did it twice _ to win consecutive titles. The Giants are scheduled to begin their season on Sept. 5 at home against the Dallas Cowboys . AP Photo/Bill Kostroun …..
(4) Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo hands the ball off against the St. Louis Rams during the first half of a preseason NFL football game, Saturday, Aug. 25, 2012 in Arlington, Texas. AP Photo/LM Otero ….
(5) Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant (88) sits out a workout with Miles Austin (19) during NFL football practice at Cowboys Stadium , Thursday, Aug. 23, 2012, in Arlington, Texas. AP Photo/LM Otero ……
(6) Dallas Cowboys tight end Jason Witten (82) sits out on the sidelines during NFL football practice at Cowboys Stadium, Thursday, Aug. 23, 2012, in Arlington, Texas. It remains doubtful whether or not Witten will be a willing participant in tonight’s game , having suffered a lacerated spleen in a preseason friendly for the Cowboys , in a precursor to their opening day scheduled season opener . AP Photo/LM Otero …….
(7) Dallas Cowboys linebacker DeMarcus Ware, left, and defensive end Jason Hatcher look down from their room before the start of a news conference with owner Jerry Jones and head coach Jason Garrett at NFL football training camp, Sunday, July 29, 2012, in Oxnard, Calif. AP Photo/Gus Ruelas ……
(8) Stephen Jones , Dallas Cowboys V.P. of Player Personal, his father, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and Philadelphia Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie ( left-right) talk before the start of their game at Lincoln Financial Field on October 30, 2011 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Eagles would go on to defeat the Cowboys 34-7 . Getty Images North America / Rich Schultz ….
NFL pieces within this site
Young Jeezy , featuring… Ne-Yo …. “ Leave You Alone “