It’s not that we’re bad it’s just that the other teams are better
Five weeks into the NFL season and number of teams seem to have separated themselves from the pack in terms of the conference and divisional standings. The AFC South’s Houston Texans (5-0) now remain the only unbeaten franchise in the NFL , having handily dispatched of the highly touted and some might suggest, overrated New York Jets (2-3) in last night’s game.
Slide show for your perusal.
Sunday’s results , well a number of them were rather surprising , perhaps none more so than the Indianapolis Colts’ exhilarating and thrilling come from behind victory over the Green Bay Packers . And for the Colts given the raw emotions that came with the victory, wherein head coach Chuck Pagano is now currently hospitalized , while undergoing chemotherapy , having been diagnosed with leukemia. Interim head coach , Bruce Arians , perhaps said it best , when he suggested “ that the victory was for Chuck” and the events such as this transcends everything else in life . If nothing else , Colts’ quarterback , Andrew Luck , might just be proving, that he is indeed the worthy successor to Peyton Manning, as the team’s quarterback.. The number one overall pick from 2012 NFL Draft had the best game of his young career , as he led the Colts back from a 21-3 deficit , to a 30-27 victory over what now appears to be a confidence lacking Packers’ team . Colts’ wide receiver, Reggie Wayne, most certainly a future Hall of Fame inductee , brought back memories of what made his play so special when he was lined up alongside Peyton Manning on the Colts’ offense. Wayne , had a game-high thirteen receptions for 213 yards and one touchdown .
Of the highlighted games on the week five schedule , perhaps the meeting of Tom Brady and Peyton Manning , was the most anticipated on the schedule , by way of the intrigue and the scenario set . In the thirteenth meeting of their decade plus long rivalry , these two esteemed quarterbacks are now at the heights of their brilliant careers. The Denver Broncos were the guests of the New England Patriots at Gillette Stadium, in Foxborough , Massachusetts, this past Sunday. The Patriots’ offense was unrelenting, as they simply laid siege to the Denver Broncos’ secondary. And, at no point during the game, did you get the impression that John Fox’s — team would be able to play themselves back into contention, during this match-up. The ten-point margin of victory by the Patriots in defeating the Broncos 31-21 , would be enough to suggest that Brady and his teammates are now back on track, as they now take hold of the AFC East, and the lead of the division.
I know that Andy Reid has had a roller coaster ride, in terms of the emotional havoc wreaked upon his familial situation , with the death of his son, Garrett Reid . But the havoc now being brought to the Philadelphia Eagles by way of the completely ineffective and some might say , the inept play by Michael Vick , may well be the difference between the head coach hanging unto his position or perhaps the Eagles’ front office rethinking their position in retaining the quarterback for next season. Vick, signed a 5 year $80 million contract in 2011, with $32.5 million in guaranteed money. GM Howie Roseman and team President Dan Smolenski , have to be now weary that this sort of outlay has to be seen as considerable waste, given the lack of > meaningful results gained by the Eagles since the contract was signed by the veteran quarterback.. And though, the Eagles jointly shares the lead of the NFC East with the New York Giants (3-2),by no means is this a clear reflection as to how good the team is said to be. If anything , it completely contradicts the evidence shown in terms of their play , and specifically Michael Vick’s lackluster performances , and his continued excuses a result of his poor play. Yet somehow , the fans will have to continue to buy into this asinine option that Michael Vick gives the Eagles their best option of winning. It remains farcical to believe how anyone can still buy into that façade, as Vick remains a turnover machine , who if anything has become more of a liability to the Eagles and an asset to the team’s opponents this season .
The Philadelphia Eagles were the guests of the Pittsburgh Steelers (2-2) in a match-up between the Keystone State rivals . The Steelers have had their own struggles this season, and a victory was needed, in order for Mike Tomlin’s players to have any semblance of success and meaning to their efforts. The Steelers have seen the Baltimore Ravens(4-1) take a stranglehold on the AFC North , while what appears to be the surprisingly resilient Cincinnati Bengals (3-2) are now playing with a great deal of confidence.
Sunday’s game between the Eagles and Steelers , was an error strewn affair , detailing two teams that seem to be in need of a kick in the ass , if only get them both playing at a higher caliber and providing their fans with something more worthwhile. In no way, could this game be described as remotely entertaining , much less interesting, and if anything I was more inclined to think of the efforts of both teams as being derisive ! The Steelers may well have snuck away with a 16-14 victory, but only because it was gifted to them on a silver platter by the inept play of the Eagles and specifically by the overrated talents of Michael Vick. It is hard to believe that for all of his renowned experience , this ten-year veteran
is still making the mistakes often associated with a first year rookie , who is said to be learning the nuances of the game. If things continue to wane for the Eagles, then the decision might not be left in the hands of Andy Reid , whose continued blind faith in the player has to now come into question .
The win-less Cleveland Browns (0-5) and the Buffalo Bills (1-4) , to my mind , might just be the two worst teamsA> in the NFL at present. Their records and results may not necessarily reflect that fact, but you would be hard pressed to find two franchises who have performed more poorly this season. The teams are giving up over 400 yards per game . And from an offensive standpoint their meager output is a great cause for concern. For Bills’ head coach , Chan Gailey, if he is not able to orchestrate a quick turnaround in his team’s fortunes, then he could very well become the first coaching casualty of this young NFL season. Pat Shurmur has been thrown in at the deep end of the pool, without the assistance of a life jacket , or much else, by way of assistance being provided by the Browns’ front office . Team President, Mike Holmgren, and GM Tom Heckert placed their implicit faith in quarterback Brandon Weeden , the franchise’s first round draft pick (22nd overall) to guide this team over the course of the season. Unfortunately, for the Browns and their long-suffering fans , it looks as if Weeden , will not be the player who can fulfill the franchise’s aspirations. It is not that Weeden’s statistics belie the fact that he is indeed a rookie , but in reality, what we are now seeing, is the very fact that he is not a very good quarterback, and he certainly does not have the confidence of his offense and specifically his receiving corps . It is hard to see where a victory is likely to come from as you peruse the Browns’ remaining regular season schedule . Next up, for the team will be a divisional rivalry game against the Cincinnati Bengals. In all likelihood that game will end in a sixth successive defeat for Pat Shurmur’s players , because there is no evidence to suggest that the Browns have improved over the course of the season , in terms of their play.
Even though the Buffalo Bills (1-4) are having an extremely difficult time in the NFL this season, I don’ t believe it even remotely appropriate to make excuses that injuries have played a part in the team’s woes ! Other than the Bills’ week two 35-17 victory over the Kansas City Chiefs , there has been little to suggest that the Buffalo Bills are actually capable of defeating another opponent in the NFL . Bills’ quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick through the course of this season has done little to suggest that he is capable of leading the Buffalo Bills to where they need to be. . Beyond the inconsistency shown by Chan Gailey’s players , the real issue here , is the fact that the Bills are a team without a vocal leader, and they are very much a badly coached team, where it has to be stated there is a genuine lack of coaching ingenuity . I certainly don’t believe that it can put it any more succinctly than that !
Week six will bring about a slew of games and with a number of teams coming off their bye weeks looking to reset themselves . The upcoming match-ups should prove to be eventful and very intriguing. For Rex Ryan and the New York Jets , this is a franchise very much at the crossroads in terms of the first five weeks of their season. So much was made of the acquisition of Tim Tebow, as being the player who would somehow contribute and reinvigorate this franchise. Instead, the team has been woefully inept , and with the print and television market in the tri-state area being completely devoid of intelligence and creativity, they are now looking elsewhere in terms of a sport’s story rather than having to report on the New York Jets’ farcical circus acts. Tony Sparano , the Jets’ offensive coordinator, has brought little by way of creativity to the team’s offense and this continued idiocy that Tebow can be used in varying ways to make the offense a great deal more potent .Well, that seems to be working out , about as much as one could use a sieve as a device to collect water. The same too , goes with the idiocy of fans and fantasy geeks out there, who have the player as part of the makeup on their fantasy team or teams. How ‘bout, those apples
Tim Tebow, my a#s ! Keep on buying into the bull#hit, that is being sold, but for a few passing moments in 2011 , Tim Tebow has yet to show that his game has actually improved. Yet somehow there are fans touting at windmills, hoping that he shows that he’s capable showing his prowess as a player in the NFL.As famed charlatan Miss Cleo says , “ call me “ ! But I’ll paraphrase that saying ……..”call me when he is playing on a team worth a damn , and where he is actually being coached , and taught something that he is using to his damn advantage “ !
Picture gallery for your perusal.
Over the first five weeks of the NFL , beyond the controversy of the replacement officials , what to your mind has been the most glaring story or issue ? And which teams do you believe in the coming weeks will either rise or fall? Simply chime in with a comment as you see fit.
Picture and slide show details below.
(1) In this photo taken Oct. 8, 2012, Houston Texans defensive back Kareem Jackson (25) gets up after returning an interception against New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez (6) late in the second half of an NFL football game in East Rutherford, N.J. Jackson interception helped sealed the Texans 23-17 victory . AP Photo/Kathy Willens ….
(2) Houston Texans inside linebacker Bradie James (53) and teammate Brice McCain (21) tackle New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez (6) during the second half of an NFL football game Monday, Oct. 8, 2012, in East Rutherford, N.J. The Texans won the game 23-17 . AP Photo/Julio Cortez ….
(3) Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Reggie Wayne (87) dives into the end zone for a 4-yard touchdown reception during the second half of an NFL football game against the Green Bay Packers in Indianapolis, Sunday, Oct. 7, 2012. The Colts won 30-27 . AP Photo/Michael Conroy …
(4) New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady (12) goes up for a touchdown against the Denver Broncos in the third quarter of an NFL football game , Sunday, Oct. 7, 2012, in Foxborough, Mass. AP Photo/Elise Amendola …..
(5) Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning , left, and New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady , right, meet after the Patriots’ 31-21 win in their NFL football game, Sunday, Oct. 7, 2012, in Foxborough, Mass. AP Photo/Steven Senne ….
(6) Pittsburgh Steelers defensive tackle Steve McLendon (90) , right, strips the ball from Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick (7) as he hits him in the third quarter of an NFL football game on Sunday, Oct. 7, 2012, in Pittsburgh. The Eagles recovered the fumble , but the Steelers won 16-14 . Vick , an eight-year veteran of the NFL is having the worst season in his NFL career , which has been reflected in his and the team’s poor play this season . AP Photo/Don Wright ……
(7) Cleveland Browns head coach Pat Shurmur , left, argues a call with referee Clete Blakeman (34) during the first half of an NFL football game on Sunday, Oct. 7, 2012, in East Rutherford, N.J. AP Photo/Kathy Willens ….
(8) Cleveland Browns running back Trent Richardson , center, looks on with teammates Josh Gordon (13) and Greg Little (15) during the second half of an NFL football game Sunday, Oct. 7, 2012, in East Rutherford, N.J. The Browns lost the game 41-27 . (AP Photo/Kathy Willens) …..
(9) Buffalo Bills head coach Chan Gailey talks with quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick (14) during the second quarter of an NFL football game against the San Francisco 49ers, Sunday, Oct. 7, 2012, in San Francisco. The Bills would go on lose the game 45-3 in a lopsided defeat to the Forty Niners . AP Photo/Ben Margot ….
(10) New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez, left, and backup quarterback Tim Tebow appear during warmups before an NFL football game against the Houston Texans, Monday, Oct. 8, 2012, in East Rutherford, N.J. The two beleaguered quarterbacks have yet to show any functionality that would indicate that they can coexist , much less show that Tebow can contribute greatly to the Jets, from an offensive standpoint . AP Photo/Julio Cortez ….
(11) Houston Texans inside linebacker Bradie James (53) and strong safety Glover Quin (29) tackle New York Jets quarterback Tim Tebow (15) during the first half of an NFL football game, Monday, Oct. 8, 2012, in East Rutherford, N.J. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez)