Damned if you do and damned if you don’t the NFL still getting some play ….
Well now that the shakeout has begun within the NFL , with teams simply severing ties with players they felt that were lacking in productivity or in many cases a money-saving exercise through their own capriciousness in seeking to subvert the cap initiated by the league hierarchy. We are now witnessing that many of the general managers around the league are not as smart as they believe themselves to be. Jerry Jones the erstwhile owner of the Dallas Cowboys suggested that the decision to release the franchise’s best defensive player over the past six seasons , DeMarcus Ware , was simply done from a business standpoint . Yet, when you simply look at the team’s statistics for last season , you will see that the Cowboys possessed one of the worst secondary’s in the entire NFL and much of the blame for this has to rest solely on the shoulders of the team’s defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin .
I recently read a posting by clearly an ignorant and uninformed Cowboys’ fan, who suggested that Ware’s declining statistics over the past two seasons was the primary reason for the franchise’s malaise. Somehow , I believe that this particular individual has not been watching the team over the past two seasons, to realize that they have not been very good or particularly effective on either side of the ball . And therein lies the idiocy , a fan who clearly is blinded by his own stupidity , that he cannot see or simply state the obvious.
Given Jerry Jones’ miscues over the past few seasons, as it relates to the draft and free agency acquisitions , his explanations not only ring hollow , but it is becoming abundantly clear that the de-facto general manager and owner of the franchise, is not willing to admit that he is prone to making mistakes and there have been countless mistakes made by Jones, when it comes to his assessing the needs of the franchise, in terms of the player personnel and the coaching staff , led by Jason Garrett , whose own tenure must now coming into question , given the lack success.
For the Dallas Cowboys, still, the only way is up , because, even with Tony Romo leading the team and I use that word “lead “ loosely , because the quarterback can in no way be seen as a leader , under any stretch of the imagination ! He has a tendency, to make excuses for his own miscues and haphazard performances , while being handsomely rewarded by the franchise, with an extraordinarily outrageous contract. Further evidence of an organization that for some reason, has the audacity to still believe itself relevant in the NFL, when their last postseason appearance , simply indicated once again stated , why this franchise remains one of the NFL’s most overrated and talked about teams, having not achieved anything of note on the field of play in five seasons.
With DeMarcus Ware’s departure from the Dallas Cowboys, his pickup by last season’s losing Superbowl representative, should be seen as no big surprise. The Denver Broncos naturally , are in need of someone to bolster a secondary, that was simply exposed by the Seattle Seahawks as one of the biggest “frauds” ever to make an appearance in the NFL’s biggest postseason event .
Joining DeMarcus Ware also , at the Denver Broncos , is corner-back, Aqib Talib , whose departure from the New England Patriots might be one of the biggest surprises of this off-season , with the Patriots’ head coach Bill Belichick , who having often spoke highly of the player during the regular season , concerning his play and leadership abilities. Somehow, this might not have been echoed on, to GM Nick Caserio , or team owner , Robert Kraft, who suggested, that it would not be his intention, to overpay for any player , he did not deem it worthy. In the absence of Vince Wilfork for much of the regular season , it was Talib who often stepped up into the role of the leader on the New England Patriots’ defense . The Patriots’ loss, will now be the Broncos’ gain .
Now there seems to be a great deal of tumult within the Patriots’ organization , with Vince Wilfork now seeking to depart from the franchise after ten years of service with the New England Patriots. As to whether or not front office is willing to acquiesce to his wish to be released remains to be seen . Wilfork’s departure were that to take place , would be seen as a shocking loss to the New England Patriots , who are definitely in need of someone with a strong character to lead their secondary unit. While many might feel, that the acquisition of Darrelle Revis , will be of benefit to the team , with some suggesting that the Pro Bowl defensive player is an upgrade over the recently departed Talib. At this stage of his career , after a rather unproductive year with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers , I believe that Revis has a great deal more to prove than the recently departed Aqib Talib and not the other way around !
It would not be an understatement to suggest that the echoes of that defeat , is still ringing loud and clear , not just within the confines of Mile High Stadium , but also with many of the Denver Broncos’ players , who simply quaked in their boots during their contest against the victorious Seattle Seahawks. The 48-3 shellacking , that John Fox’s players still have no explanation for, is really disturbing to say the very least. In the annals of postseason NFL history the contest is likely to be discussed at great length, because repeatedly , were to told that the game would pit the NFL’s two best teams , the Broncos’ high-octane offense against the league’s best defense in the Seattle Seahawks. What the fans witnessed bore nothing to the claims being made and was just another hyperbole of the stupidity , of what we have come to expect of a league , that in recent seasons, has been devoid of intelligence amongst its hierarchy , owners , union and most certainly amongst the on air personalities, who provide the fans with their analysis.
Broncos’ quarterback Peyton Manning for whom, this was his third Superbowl appearance of his long and distinguished career , his legacy may well still be intact , but in terms of his window of opportunity to win a second , postseason title might, now seem. beyond the realms of reality. For John Elway , the franchise’s Head of Football Operations, having himself as a player, had a number of disappointments in the Superbowl , with five appearances of his own , before coming away with the two victories that are currently representative of the Denver Broncos’ postseason success in the NFL.
Manning lost one of his favorite receiving targets , when wide receiver Eric Decker chose to sign with the New York Jets as a free agent , rather than returning to the Broncos. How this now equates with what the Jets are likely to achieve this upcoming season, will be dependent upon which player is deemed to be the starting quarterback for the franchise next season , where the choices are Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith .
The status-quo within the AFC, is likely to remain about the same for the present, with both Denver Broncos and New England Patriots being viewed as the two best teams within the conference . Any contest that pits Tom Brady against Peyton Manning be it during the regular season or postseason , will always guarantee an exceptionally large audience as these two veteran quarterbacks have provided the NFL with some of the most memorable contests to be seen in the NFL in the last decade. . Manning having been drafted as the number one overall pick in the 1998 NFL Draft and Tom Brady being taken as an afterthought in the sixth round of the 2000 NFL Draft . It has to be said, that in the subsequent years the league has been privileged enough to have witness two of the very best to have played the game at the quarterback position over the time-span in question. With the careers of both now winding down, one could surmise that this upcoming season could very well be the last, in which we are likely to witness both quarterbacks perform at a very high level.
The one thing, that the NFL certainly likes to make their fans completely aware of, is the very fact that their players are well rewarded. Not just by way of their contracts , but also in terms of salaries , cap hit , length of the contracts and the average salaries . By giving that clarity, it makes the brand certainly more appealing , though not necessarily amenable. Unfortunately, the one thing that the league hierarchy has failed to address, has been player misconduct and the very fact that commissioner has repeatedly failed to address the issue head on and the same can be said NFLPA Executive DeMaurice Smith and his continued hypocrisy , along with that of the union’s executive committee and Board of Player Representatives . Less we forget also, the anal retentive fans who continue to come up with the most asinine arguments to placate the monstrous behavior of the players , by using the analogy of locker room behavior and simple immaturity. Last I looked, racism, misogyny , and criminal misconduct were not part of the everyday workplace or condoned under any fucking circumstance , but there does appear to a group of fans without the god given intelligence to actually figure that out for themselves . Which begs the question, the NFL in its present guise, much like its large fan-base might just be devoid of common decency and intelligence overall !
The NFL Combine provided the fans with a precursor , with regard to the College talent, who have declared their eligibility for the upcoming NFL Draft . Speculation continues, as to who is likely to taken number one overall in this upcoming draft. Jadeveon Clowney , Johnny Manziel , Blake Bortles , Teddy Bridgewater , Jordan Lynch , Jake Robinson , Sammy Watkins and Khalil Mack are just a few of the names mentioned. However, the likelihood of one of the aforementioned being taken will be dependent upon the wishes of the Houston Texans and their front office led by GM Rick Smith and what he believes will best meet the needs of the coaching staff of Bill O’Brien , who succeeded the ousted Gary Kubiak , as the franchise’s head coach.
For Bill O’Brien who departed from Penn State’s program under somewhat mysterious circumstances , his intent to resurrect the fortunes of the Houston Texans will be a great deal tougher than some will appreciate . Coming off a 2-14 season in 2013 , for a team that lost fourteen straight games , league-high worst amongst the NFL’s thirty-two teams , anyone expecting a quick turnaround for the franchise might well have to rethink that premise. The Texans’ defense was amongst the worst in the NFL and their offense was not that much better and it remains highly unlikely that Matt Schaub , the franchise’s long-time incumbent starting quarterback will be the opening day starter for the upcoming season . Fans of the franchise would like nothing better than to see the team draft the Texas A&M (Aggies’) quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel , who would certainly be a ” major draw” within the state , but questions remain about the player’s character and maturity. If he is to be seen as the franchise’s long-term future and leader, then those issues will clearly have to be addressed by Rick Smith , Bill O’Brien , the player and his representatives.
The upcoming NFL Draft will likely provide the fans with one or two surprises ,but as usual , it certainly will not be the sort laced frilled drama that have the fans questioning the wherewithal of the choices of their teams. Simply put, we will just have to wait and see, what unfolds over the course of this off-season as to witness what may well unfold. As things now stand, there is still a great deal of drama to unfold, with plot-lines that have yet to be fully played out.
Picture gallery .
The off-season upheavals that have now taken place and with many more still likely to come , it remains to be seen what else is likely placed within our midst as many more stories will transpire . Of the several acquisitions that have taken place, which do you believe will have the biggest impact for a franchise and which do you think is likely to the detriment of a team ?
Picture and slideshow details below .
(1) DeMarcus Ware (94) of the Dallas Cowboys is seen here at the franchise’s training facility in Oxnard , California , . Also pictured in the background is the team’s owner and general manager , Jerry Jones . Ware was released by the Cowboys as a salary cap maneuver meant to save the franchise several million dollars . The franchise’s all-time sacks’ leader has since signed a three-year $30 million deal with the reigning AFC champions the Denver Broncos , where he will also be joined by Aqib Talib , himself a casualty of the New England Patriots’ off-season moves of discarding players superfluous to their needs . AP Photo / Paul Richards ….
(2) Dallas Cowboys’ head Jason Garrett is seen here alongside GM and owner Jerry Jones , as they answer questions from the convened press. In Garrett’s three-and-a-half years with the franchise. he is a combined (29-27 .518) without a playoff appearance , since assuming his position in 2010. Jones for his part, steadfastly stands fully in support of his head coach, but having brought in Scott Linehan to be a lead assistant on the coaching staff , it does appear to have caused some friction with offensive coordinator Bill Callahan , said to be not entirely happy with the move. Dallas Morning News / Jorge Rodriguez ……
(3) Cowboys’ defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin is seen here with team owner Jerry Jones . Kiffin brought in to succeed Rob Ryan has failed to ignite the Dallas Cowboys’ defense which was amongst the worst performing secondaries in the entire NFL during last season . Getty Images / Philip Rouse …..
(4) Corner-back Aqib Talib who was not re-signed by the New England Patriots and another salary cap casualty of the off-season , has signed a multi-year deal with the Denver Broncos . The team’s Head of Football Operations , John Elway believes that the signing will be of benefit to the team’s secondary , along with the well publicized acquisition of DeMarcus Ware . These might not be the last of the ambitious moves made by Elway, as he seeks to bolster the team’s roster. AP Photo / Mark Roth ….
(5) Darrelle Revis (24) , one year off , from a failed experiment in Tampa Bay and having signed a six-year $96 million non-guaranteed contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers , the player was released by the franchise and has since signed a one-year deal with the New England Patriots. AP Photo / Jason Fisher ….
(6) Denver Broncos’ quarterback Peyton Manning (18) is seen here with wide receiver Eric Decker (87) , one of his favorite receiving targets during the 2013 season with the Broncos . Decker has since departed , having since joined the New York Jets for what is believed to be a far more attractive offer than his former team were prepared to make . Getty Images / Nick Martin …..
(7) Blake Bortles seen here performing at the NFL Combine was one of the major reasons why the UCF Golden Knights had a successful season . Bortles is one of a slew of college quarterbacks that are being viewed as a prospective number one overall pick in this upcoming NFL Draft. AP Photo / Daniel Provenza ………
(8) The South Carolina Gamecocks’ Jadeveon Clowney is seen some circles as the prospective number one overall draft pick , with Clowney also expressing his belief that not only is he the defensive player amongst the crop of players on the secondary , but the best college player overall, that will be on parade this entire draft. AP Photo / Michael Priest …..
(9) Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel seen here at the NFL Combine held at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis ,Indiana ,. The player met with the press and answered questions posed on what he believes his future prospects are in the NFL. Choosing not to participate in any of the quarterback exercise drills at the Combine, are not thought to have had an adverse effect on where he is likely to ranked or drafted, by analysts compiling their own assessment of the players . The Houston Texans with the number one overall pick are in need of a quarterback , after a dismal year by Matt Schaub , albeit that on the team’s depth chart Case Keenum was able to show some momentary flashes of composure , though not overly convincing enough to have you believe that he would be a desired starter for a Bill O’Brien coached offense. The Texans’ head coach is also thought to be interested in acquiring a veteran free agent quarterback or has been repeatedly reported , his continuing interest in the Patriots’ Ryan Mallett is said to be ongoing . The AFC East based franchise are said to be reluctant in releasing the player , they believe to be a ready made backup and replacement for their long-time starting quarterback Tom Brady . Getty Images / Paul Howell ………….
(10) (L-R) Bill O’Brien , foreground , speaks to the media after being introduced as the new head coach of the Houston Texans alongside general manager Rick Smith and team owner Bob McNair at a press conference at Reliant Stadium on January 3, 2014 in Houston, Texas. Getty Images / Scott Halleran ……
Follow Tophatal’s Blog on Facebook.com : Tophatal’s Blog
Milestones due : Career passing TD’s
Rushing yards : 10,000 ,—– 11,000
Rushing touchdowns : 90 and 100
All purpose yards : 15,000 — 16,0000 and 17,0000
Receiving touchdowns : 50 , 60 , 70 and 90
Rushing touchdowns : 50 , 60 , 70 and 90