You Don’t Bring Sling Shot To A Knife Fight And You Don’t Talk Smack , Then Not Be Able To Back That Shit Up ……………
As much I loathe it , I find US athletes so full of shit wanting to talk smack and then when they have their ass handed to them they essentially have nothing to say in defeat when they’ve been exposed as a piece of crap. That being said if you’re an avid MMA fan as I’ve become in recent years as I now find professional boxing about as interesting as watching a political debate or the latest GOP raison-de- etre de jour in Donald Trump . Suffice to say if this is essentially the face of Conservatism in America then fuck it !
Slide show for your perusal .
Saturday night UFC staged its latest event UFC 129 at the Rogers Center in Montreal, Canada . The event itself was headlined with the welterweight title defense of George St Pierre making his eighth consecutive title defense against the unbeaten Jake Shields former titlist within Elite XC and Strikeforce . Shields was said to be St Pierre’s sternest test over the course of his already illustrious career . And anyone who has been a fan of MMA will know that St Pierre has been in with the very best within the division .
The undercard had its litany of bouts that if anything may well be the most enticing card put together by the UFC in quite while . You had Randy Couture a former champion at both light heavyweight and heavyweight divisions facing Lyoto Machida the Brazilian martial arts specialist seeking to reassert himself within the light heavyweight division having lost his title in a rematch with Mauricio Rua . Shields came into this fight playing the part of the villain and if anything chose to viewed that way but if anything what might be even more unpalatable as to his position was the fact he chose to denigrate the champion by questioning his integrity and legitimacy as a champion . Well over the course of the five rounds of this title bout all questions would be answered and unfortunately for the challenger it was his own legitimacy as the number one ranked contender that actually had to be questioned because his own display was simply mediocre given his so called record coming into this bout .
Jake Shields like St Pierre’s previous opponent Josh Koscheck simply proved that talking smack and not being able to back the shit up essentially proves you to be nothing more than an ass wipe and a pussy ! Having taught the martial arts to members of the military while serving , I can say that I’ve enough of an insight into MMA . I’ve over a decade in experience of karate having attained a black belt , practiced not only that particular art but also savate , tai chi , ai-kido and krav-magav . These styles have in principle are taught to various military units around the globe . However within UFC and the genre of MMA it is essentially Brazilian ju-jitsu developed by the Gracie family, that has become the essence of the sport along with Greco Roman wrestling.
Throughout this bout the experience title holder simply showed us why he’s viewed as one of the best pound for pound fighters within the sport alongside Jose Aldo and Anderson Silva . St Pierre and Silva if anything , because of their already global popularity are viewed as the faces of the sport. But Aldo has already begun to make a name for himself having carved his way through the bantamweight division to become its most dominant fighter. But it remains to be seen whether or not Aldo will continue to make that division his domain by right or seek to win another title within the UFC possibly in the lightweight division in a possible challenge to the champion there , Frankie Edgar . But that would be predicated upon Edgar making a successful defense of that title in rematch against number one ranked challenger Gray Maynard . Jake Shields simply showed why for all of his experience he simply brought nothing at all to the table as St Pierre exposed him as a flawed fighter despite Shields’ expertise as ju-jitsu specialist. Simply put St Pierre used his prodigious martial arts talent as being a karate , ju-jitsu and styling boxing array of jabs . But if anything it was St Pierre’s use of his feet and particular his round-house and frontal kicks that dominated this bout . St Pierre added to his already impressive resume’ with his eighth successful defense of his welterweight title and a run of nine consecutive wins a record within the welterweight division of UFC .
Now with this win a possible big money match-up now awaits St Pierre as UFC President Dana White looks to put together what will undoubtedly be the biggest fight in UFC history with St Pierre meeting the Brazlian middleweight champion Anderson Silva in catch-weight none title bout. It is a fight that the majority of MMA fans would like to see . And the though the sport has found its niche within the sporting landscape of North America and in many respects it is and has now been outstripping the viewership for many of the PPV boxing bouts now shown on cable . And that if anything now gives us an indication as to why the sport of boxing has now fallen from grace so fast . Simply put , boxing no longer puts together any real marquee bouts that the fight fans there really want to see. I mean let’s be honest here , who the hell wants to see an aging Shane Mosley —- fight —– Manny Pacquiao when the former three time multi division titlist , Mosley , is well past his prime ? In truth Pacquiao , himself, now fights , merely for the money and in particular to pad the wallet of his promoter Bob Arum , as Pacquiao remains his only valuable asset in his stable of fighters .
I know that there might not be the vast array of MMA fans out there who will surf the net and perhaps even come across this piece . But I simply want to let many of you out there know that there are some of us about who think highly of this fast growing sport that has found its popularity not only here in North America but also across the globe in some of the most unlikely of places . Granted , there are but only four states where MMA isn’t sanctioned legally within the US but over the course of time that will undoubtedly change as the sport makes its presence known even more so and then and only then will the various state legislatures such as New York will find out that once sanctioned they too can profit greatly from seeing this sport provide it with a great deal of money from the economic and financial impact . The Rogers Center was completely sold out with in excess of 55 ,000 fans there not only to see their home town hero George St Pierre defend his title but also the rather special undercard ,
Picture gallery for your perusal .
Whether or not you’re an boxing or MMA fan how do you as such view either sport ? And if anything do you now believe that boxing is actually on the decline here in the US as well across the globe as the sport of MMA seems to be now expanding and gaining in popularity across the globe ? Simply leave a comment as to your thoughts on the points raised within this piece .
Alan aka tophatal ……………………………….
Picture and slide show details below .
(1) Bantamweight champion Jose Aldo (left) is seen seated next to Georges St-Pierre the UFC welterweight champion at a press conference at the Rogers Centre publicize UFC 129 . Standing is UFC President Dana White , who oversees the organization . Courtesy of UFC.com /MMA Weekly …
(2) Title holder St Pierre is seen here with the challenger Jake Shields prior their headline bout at UFC 129 held at the Rogers Center in Montreal ,Quebec , Canada . MMA Weekly …
(3) St Pierre takes the fight to his challenger Jake Shields (left) . The champion would successfully defend his title completely outclassing the challenger winning by a unanimous verdict in the five round title bout for the UFC welterweight title . UFC.com @ copyrighted material all rights reserved .
(4) Shields lands a punch during their title bout but it’d one of few that the challenger would land in a fight that was dominated by the champion who used all of his martial arts prowess as a karate and ju-jitsu practitioner. His solid boxing skills also came to be being having landed several well timed shots that jolted the challenger . UFC .com …………..
(5) Randy Couture (left) is seen here squaring off with his opponent Lyoto Machida of Brazil. Also pictured is UFC President Dana White . The two practitioners were part of the undercard of UFC 129 stated at the Rogers Center , Montreal , Canada . UFC.com all rights reserved ….
(6) Couture in the foreground gets hit with a frontal kick from Machida which would have devastating consequences for the former light heavy & heavyweight champion as he would be knocked out in the first round by the Brazilian . UFC.com copyrighted material all rights reserved …………..
(7) Manny Pacquiao, center, of the Philippines, poses for photos with trainer Freddie Roach, left, and promoter Bob Arum in Los Angeles, Wednesday, April 20, 2011. Pacquiao is scheduled to box Shane Mosley on May 7 in Las Vegas. AP Photo/Chris Carlson …..
(8) (L) Manny Pacquiao and (R) Shane Mosley pose to promote their upcoming fight at The Lighthouse at Chelsea Piers on February 14, 2011 in New York City. Chris Trotman / Getty Images North America ……….