CSI New England , another atrocity perpetrated in the name of football …
In the aftermath of another hellacious and disappointing postseason for the New England Patriots. As a passionate and avowed fan , I have to ask, how can a team that performed so admirably during the regular season , be so lackluster in the playoffs , but more so specifically in the AFC championship game which led to a thoroughly embarrassing loss to the eventual Superbowl eventual champions , the Baltimore Ravens ?
A great deal of the blame, now rests squarely upon the shoulders of head coach Bill Belichick and his coaching staff . And it cannot have escaped your notice , that a great deal of the team’s woes , stemmed from an inconsistent defense , who for much of the season , simply under-achieved , in spite of the attempts made by defensive coordinator, Matt Patricia , Belichick and GM , Nick Caserio to draft prudently over the past two seasons , with an emphasis being placed upon acquiring skilled defensive players . Granted, the franchise also went out, and traded for either pending free agents who could fill a specific role from a defensive standpoint. To my own mind, here they failed to acquire anyone who could fulfill the requirement s sought!
If the defense of the Patriots was said to be the team’s Achilles’ Heel , then its offense continued to be prolific throughout much of the season , with the franchise’s All Pro quarterback leading the way once again. Tom Brady continues to astound while remaining one of the league’s elite quarterbacks . Complemented by arsenal of productive players , such as Stevan Ridley , Brandon Lloyd, Wes Welker , Rob Gronkowski, and Danny Woodhead , Brady was able to make light work of the AFC East as the team won the division with consummate ease .
While racking up yards during the regular season , in coming away with victories that somehow at the end of it all would prove to be meaningless , as the postseason came around . Bill Belichick’s staff and I believe the players in general, were woefully neglectful and disconnected from the fact that the defense was amongst the most anemic within the AFC , much less the entire NFL. It has been this sort of complacency and demeanor of head coach that has systematically become ingrained into the team, that led to their and the season’s unraveling when they faced the Baltimore Ravens in the AFC championship game. Now, if anyone would have mentioned to me that for the entire second half of that match-up the Patriots’ offense would be go entirely scoreless , not being able to muster a safety , offensive or defensive touchdown , much less a field goal . Then, I would’ve said “you’re completely crazy” ! . Yet, lo and behold , the facts would bear this out , as Joe Flacco and his teammate s simply laid waste to the Patriots’ ambitions for another postseason .
Well, put out the yellow crime scene tape, and cast it over the Patriots’ horrific postseason failings against the Ravens. Good God Almighty, when one of the most prolific offense in the NFL , is unable to even muster three points from a field goal , during the second half of a postseason game , given the prolific output from the franchise in recent years during the playoffs , then questions will have to be asked and answered, by Bill Belichick . Well as we know , the head coach showed his immaturity in not in failing to turn up for the mandatory post-game interview as required by the NFL hierarchy. Conceited , bombastic and a downright ass , these are perhaps the words, that can best describe the Patriots’ head coach , and self-absorbed genius. In many ways, the continued disparaging remarks about this franchise , I truly believe are not necessarily aimed at the players , but more so towards Bill Belichick , and his lack of candor , and the very fact that at times, he shows complete disdain for the press and fans alike . I may well be wrong in my assumptions , but if I am , then can someone point out to me , where I may well be mistaken in this belief ?
With the upcoming 2013 NFL Draft taking place from the 25th April through until the 27th April , it will be interesting the see the steps that will be taken by the Patriots’ staff as they seek to acquire players , that they believe will be complementary to their overall needs . And once again , I believe a great many of their choices will be predicated upon bolstering their defensive line , by way of this Draft . And while that premise at this juncture is based on supposition , Nick Caserio and Bill Belichick may well have a number of decisions to make concerning a number of the team’s impending free agents , and a number of unproductive players , who simply failed to live up to the lofty goals sought . With the likelihood that the salary cap is likely to rise by several million dollars , from the current figure of $120.6 million . It remains to be seen how the Patriots will address their own issues with regard to the roster’s payroll and the cap hit . The biggest off-season issue for coaching staff and front office is whether not to offer a multi-year deal to Wes Welker , who in the last five years has been the most productive receiver in the NFL.
Undoubtedly, a slot receiver of Welker’s caliber is not easy to come by , and he should be compensated likewise based upon his productivity , not just on this season , but simply based on his prolific production for the Patriots since he was acquired by the team as a free agent in March 2007 . From thereon-in , it has simply been about the player shattering franchise records ( career receiving & single season ) on the books of the Patriots. If Wes Welker released , there will be at least 31 other teams likely to show interest, in this versatile player . Doubt my word ? Watch the stampede that is likely to take place !
Undoubtedly, a slot receiver of Welker’s caliber is not easy to come by , and he should be compensated likewise based upon his productivity , not just on this season , but simply based on his prolific production for the Patriots since he was acquired by the team as a free agent in March 2007 . From thereon-in , it has simply been about the player shattering franchise records ( career receiving & single season ) on the books of the Patriots. If the player is released , there will be at least 31 other teams , likely to show interest, in this versatile player .
So the Patriots’ season ended with an emphatic thud , as they were laid to rest by the ever so resourceful Baltimore Ravens , who on the day went about the duty with an assassin’s creed , kill the subject , to get the job done and the rewards will come after . On the flip side of that coin, the carcass of the New England Patriots now lays strewn all over the greater New England area , and the head coach , hasn’t the goddamn decency to offer the fans or the public a cursory explanation. As a diehard fan of the franchise who tries to attend at least five games a season where possible , seeing the demeanor of Bill Belichick , though it hasn’t driven a wedge in between me, and my loyalty towards the organization , he has now begun to piss me off , for all of the wrong reasons , and a great many more , far too numerous to mention !
Picture gallery .
What to your mind was the biggest failure of the New England Patriots this past season ? And do you believe that they can rectify their problems and still remain a dominant force within the NFL ? Or are you of the opinion that the franchise is slowly declining as force within the league ? Chime in with your comments as you see fit on the subject matter and anything else you believe to be pertinent .
Picture and slideshow details below.
New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady looks up at the scoreboard during the second half of the NFL football AFC Championship football game against the Baltimore Ravens at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Mass., Sunday, Jan. 20, 2013. AP Photo/Steven Senne …
(2) Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco celebrates with Matt Birk (77) and Marshal Yanda (73) after throwing a five-yard touchdown pass to Dennis Pitta during the second half of the NFL football AFC Championship football game against the New England Patriots in Foxborough, Mass., Sunday, Jan. 20, 2013. AP Photo/Charles Krupa ….
(3) New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, left, and Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh , right, meet at midfield after the NFL football AFC Championship football game in Foxborough, Mass., Sunday, Jan. 20, 2013. The Ravens won 28-13 to advance to Super Bowl XLVII. AP Photo/Elise Amendola …
(4) The top defensive end taken in the 2012 NFL Draft , New England Patriots defensive end Chandler Jones speaks with the media in the locker room at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Mass., Monday, Jan. 21, 2013. The Patriots cleaned out their lockers after losing to the Baltimore Ravens Sunday night in the AFC Championship game. AP Photo/Stew Milne ….
(5) Patriots’ GM Nick Caserio , seen here addressing members of the convened press . The front office executive has a number of tough decisions to make this off-season as it relates to the New England Patriots’ franchise . One of the decisions in question, hinges on whether or not to resign Wes Welker or to ” franchise tag” the player for a second successive season and simply pay him the average salary of the top 5 players at the wide receivers’ position . AP Photo/ Chris Parsons …
(6) New England Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker (83) runs out of the tackle of Baltimore Ravens free safety Ed Reed (20) during the first half of the NFL football AFC Championship football game in Foxborough, Mass., Sunday, Jan. 20, 2013. AP Photo/Stephan Savoia ….
(7) New England Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker (83) is congratulated by Tom Brady after catching a one-yard touchdown pass during the first half of the NFL football AFC Championship football game against the Baltimore Ravens in Foxborough, Mass., Sunday, Jan. 20, 2013. AP Photo/Stephan Savoia …..
If at all interested , do take time to participate in the above mentioned poll .
NFL related stories : 2013 NFL Draft: Top five prospects at every defensive position
‘TI’ ….. feat’g Wyclef Jean ….. “You know what it is ”