Carpe` Diem … Seize The Day
By tophatal ….
Well it would appear that MLB (baseball) has another image problem to deal in light of the fact that NL MVP … Ryan Braun has tested positive for a banned substance prohibited by the league hierarchy . In light in what has been one of the most exciting and exhilirating seasons in recent baseball history . The fact that a reigning MVP is now embroiled in such a controversy that further tarnishes the image of the game as well Braun , himself , further emphasizes what I have felt along ! Major League Baseball and its hierarchy under MLB Commissioner Bud Selig just happens to far too clueless for their own good and are in complete denial ! For his part the denial of Braun while vociferous points to the fact the players and their union (MLBPA) clearly are not averse to still seeing their members flout the rules of the game .
Now while I don’t believe that the BBWAA will rescind the awarding OF Braun the accolade I do believe that in future they will clearly have to rethink the premise under which they set their criteria . The voting itself within the NL had Ryan Braun defeating the Los Angeles Dodgers’ … Matt Kemp not necessarily by the slimmest of margins but it may well now set about a precedence about what was known concerning this issue, as baseball’s hierarchy were fully cognizant of this the player’s positive result some months ago , but only now just making it public after his having been awarded the accolade . Pardon me for saying this , but in what universe are the ” so called custodians of the game “ living in ? More to the point where is the common sense prevailing within the game itself ? Now in light of this all we now know that the league has now chosen reinstate twice guilty substance abuser Manny Ramirez , therefore affording him the right to return to the game , which he himself has tarnished as well given fans a number of exciting as well as thought provoking moments to think about over the course of his career . Suffice to say it’s back to business as usual within the game of baseball where in essence , not a god damn thing has changed ! The league and the team owners at this juncture are simply devoid of all intelligence in spite of the continued claims of Bud Selig that the game now has the most stringent of testing policies in all of professional sports . What Selig and the managers and the union have clearly chosen no to do is to educate the players on what is meant to be legitimate in terms of the substances that they deem allowable within the game . Not once have I heard a succinct answer being given as to the legitimate substances allowable for use by the players . Is there a fan out there who doesn’t at all find this surprising ?
As to the possible penalties that can be levied against Ryan Braun beyond the mandatory 50 game suspension for a first violation . I think it highly unlikely that the BBWAA (Baseball Writers’ Assoc of America) will take away his award and then place it in the hands of Matt Kemp as their de-facto recipient . What else could be anymore embarrassing than the present situation that they now find themselves in ? Well it’s not as if that alleged esteemed body has ever truly been known to show much common sense to begin with anyway ! So let’s essentially look upon this mess as simply another reason why the game of baseball hasn’t got its head on straight ! Simply look down the list of former Cy Young Award winners and league MVP’s over the last few years (decade plus) that have been in some way been embroiled in the tawdry fiasco now commonly known as the ” steroid era ” ? And for the idiots out there who feel that steroids do no harm even when abused ……. simply see how a patient suffering from atrial fibrillation (AF) or renal failure has to endure pain and then come back and respond .
Well here we go again, the Oakland Raiders simply continue to find numerous ways to repeatedly shoot themselves in the foot. Not content with their embarrassing loss (34-14) to the Miami Dolphins last week where the team was subjected to one of their most lopsided defeats in recent team history . Not totally content with that loss it would appear in being the guests of the NFL’s best team the Green Bay Packers (13-0) .The Raiders under head coach Hue Jackson simply felt it necessary to try and outdo the ineptitude shown in their humiliating loss to the Miami Dolphins . And boy they chose not to disappoint their fans or the Packers’ fans in attendance at Lambeau Field , Green Bay , Wisconsin on Sunday afternoon.
Now for all of those Raiders’ fans out there , who were convinced that Carson Palmer would somehow be the cure to what ails this team with the advent of losing Jason Campbell for the season . I can’t help but wonder what those fans might now be currently thinking , not only of the performance of Palmer in this game but also the completely inept performance by the team’s secondary over the past two weeks .
The AFC West is now up for grabs and with the Raiders abject futility in their 46-16 loss to further emphasizes how far the Oakland Raiders have fallen over the past two weeks . It begs the question does this team much less the coaching staff or anyone within this organization really “ possess the heart “ to face adversity , look it squarely in the face and then somehow find a way to overcome that obstacle ? Or as I am more inclined to believe that the vast majority of Raiders’ fans are simply apathetic , who will continue to make excuses for the team’s plight while simply living in the past and regaling us with anecdotes as to the team’s history .
“Carpe` Diem and clearly that is what the Denver Broncos (8-5) and Tim Tebow are now clearly doing . Winners of six straight games the Broncos are slowly making believers out of the doubters whilst on air television analysts such as Phil Simms and Merril Hoge are slowly looking for ways to clearly extricate themselves from the denouncements made of the young quarterback . Tebow for his part and the team are merely trundling along and making a mockery of those who had written them off . Never mind the fact that as they now sit atop of the AFC West and the team now seems to be well on their way to securing their first divisional title in 6 years . And while the young quarterback’s stats are nowhere admirable to the statistician’s eyes one simply cannot deny that his grit, determination and the fact that he possesses the leadership abilities that many of his more experiences peers are simply unable to show . This one’s for you Tony Romo and Carson Palmer ! Overrated !
For John Fox , John Elway and GM Brian Xanders while everyone is on-board the ” Tebow Express” let ’em ride that locomotive for as long and as far it can take them . Inexplicably I am now beginning to wonder how Lovie Smith and rag tag bunch of ingrates are now feeling ! If Smith and GM Jerry Angelo are still serious about bringing in either Brett Favre or Donovan McNabb then god help this organization and their immediate future ! After their rather inept performance in that overtime loss (13-10) to the Denver Broncos I am not so sure what to make of this Bears’ team and their aspirations as it regards the postseason .
In the aftermath of the belated attempt by the New Orleans Hornets to trade Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Lakers it should come as no surprise that several Hornets’ players are simply wanting to desert what now appears to be a sinking ship . The team now owned jointly by the NBA — league hierarchy and the team owners are simply left with a franchise that is need of new ownership after the tenure and uneventful years of ownership under George Shinn . Coach Monty Williams , his coaching staff and GM Dell Demps because of the overall uncertainty now surrounding the franchise are caught between a rock and a hard place . And clearly without real stewardship forthcoming in terms of a lack of a real authoritative figure by way of an owner , this organization to my mind might now as well be folded up and cease their operations as an NBA franchise !
It is not as if either David Stern or Deputy Commissioner Adam Silver are said to be actively seeking out any potential suitors for the team . If that were the case , then I am sure that we would not have seen this active flurry surrounding the New Orleans Hornets ! No potential purchaser looking to buy this team would willingly acquiesce to the trade of the team’s best player and the de-facto face of the franchise . Now I heave read and heard it mentioned that the tentative deal that would have sent Paul to the Lakers with Pau Gasol joining the Hornets and Lamar Odom heading to the Houston Rockets as part of a three way deal would have effectively saved the Lakers several million dollars and exempt the organization from the league’s luxury tax . But to my mind that is but a small price to pay considering the irrevocable damage that would be done to the Hornets as a NBA franchise altogether ! As it is , the team struggles to makes its presence felt from an economic standpoint much less the fact that attendances for the team’s home games at the New Orleans Arena are seemingly minuscule when compared to many of its contemporaries within the NBA . Nowhere have I seen much less heard anyone simply bring this to the forefront of any discussion but as usual that merely all comes down to what many would like to see rather than simply facing the reality that the NBA is essentially still in a financial quagmire of its own damn making ! .
Now with all of the hype supposedly surrounding the compelling belief that this NBA season ought to be a special one , nothing in reality could be further from the truth . The NBPA (union) may not entirely got its way but I can assure you of one thing , this so called new found accord between the league and union will be short-lived . We are already beginning to see things to begin to fray at the edges and this latest incident clearly shows us all that the NBA and the union are clearly out of touch with reality . Never-mind the fact that owners such as Dan Gilbert , Joe Lacob , Michael Jordan and Rich De Vos will be hard pressed to see their respective organizations actually turn an operating profit . Fans are now talking about contracting small market teams but that would essentially solve nothing at all . It is clear that the front office executives are in dire need to some real economic lessons , rather than continuing with rather their rather asinine and idiotic spending on talent that in large is simply marginal at its very worse and grossly overvalued at the upper echelons of the game .
What does it say about an organization that simply dupes the municipality where it is domiciled into spending in excess of $ 575 million to build it an all purpose state of the art venue in downtown Orlando to house the Orlando Magic ? I have to admit that team owner Rich De Vos and his son in law Bob VanderWeide ” pulled the wool over the eyes” of Mayor Buddy Dyer and the elected officials on the city commission ! But what might be even more disturbing other than the fact of Vander Weide choosing to step down from his role as Chief Executive Officer, is the very fact that the Magic have now acquiesced to Dwight Howard’s demands to be traded . Unless I am mistake another celebrated former Orlando Magic center by the name of Shaquille O’Neal took the same route and would go on to see his career flourish within the NBA . Chalk this idiocy up to the machination of GM Otis Smith and coach Stan Van Gundy who have over the years rather than complemented Howard with the talent he’s rightfully deserving of , instead they have given him ill fitting … pieces that simply couldn’t cut the mustard much less anything else for that matter .
Now it should not come as a surprise that there will be a plethora of teams that will no doubt be interested in the NBA’s > best center and a player whose defensive prowess is unparalleled within the league . Now undoubtedly with the likes of the Los Angeles Lakers , New Jersey Nets and Dallas Mavericks likely to be keen suitors for Howard’s talents , it will be very interesting to see quite possibly see what Otis Smith and Stan Van Gundy can obtain from any such trade that would be deemed to be reciprocal in value.
In the past 24 hours Dwight Howard has tried to alleviate his stance of wanting a trade and that is even with the Orlando Magic having acquired his close friend Glen Davis from the Boston Celtics . As to whether or not that will be enough to induce the front office of the Magic to still seek a trade of their celebrated three time NBA Defensive Player of the Year , well that now remains to be seen .
To my mind if Otis Smith , Stan Van Gundy and newly appointed team CEO & President Alec Martins are intent on retaining Dwight Howard then they will have to show the player that their passion in keeping him is genuine. Clearly jettisoning Gilbert Arenas was a step in the right direction with the player having added little to the team by way of his productivity last season . But it would be remiss to think that Arenas alone wasn’t a part of the lack of progress by the players on this roster . Hedo Turkoglu a seasoned journeyman simply showed that age has caught up with him and that he’s being vastly overpaid , having produced little of consequence to the Orlando Magic . But such has been the capricious nature of the personnel moves made by Otis Smith in conjunction with Stan Van Gundy that it ought to have any discerning Orlando Magic fans questioning the mindset of the duo !
Should such a trade ever take place then in all probability we will once again see the decline of this NBA franchise not only terms of its competitiveness but also in terms of its overall financial value . Now one of the most inane things I’ve read recently is a call for teams to be contracted within the NBA ! . Nowhere have I read , is how anyone would go about doing this and which teams would cease operating , never mind how would the league hierarchy go about compensating those team owners never mind the legal ramifications for those teams and the areas where they are domiciled . Less we forget many of these teams have contractual obligations with regard to the leasehold on their venues . So someone , please explain to where they see the NBA paying out tens of millions of dollars to team franchisees and would then by all accounts have to pay ” millions “ …. more in compensation to numerous municipalities across the country ? Come on , someone out there with some semblance of intelligence explain that or would they then rather see the NBA being steeped in litigation within US Federal Court for the next five or six months ? Clearly no thought was placed behind such a premise and merely only wishful thinking by such individuals !
Picture gallery for your perusal .
What thoughts if any do you have concerning the points raised ? Simply leave a comment as you deem fit and thanks as always for the continued support as it greatly appreciated !
Picture and slide show details below .
(1) FILE – This Feb. 24, 2011, file photo, shows Milwaukee Brewers’ Ryan Braun in Phoenix. ESPN is reporting that National League MVP Braun has tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug and is facing a 50-game suspension. A spokesman for Braun said in a statement issued to ESPN and The Associated Press by his representatives, Creative Artists Agency, that “there are highly unusual circumstances surrounding this case which will support Ryan’s complete innocence.” AP Photo/Morry Gash, …
(2) “With shrinkage , will my penis still fit in my girlfriend’s vagina ” ? (A thought said to be mulling through Ryan Braun’s mind as he sits in the dugout ) Milwaukee Brewers’ Ryan Braun and Rickie Weeks watch from the dugout during the ninth inning of Game 5 of baseball’s National League championship series against the St. Louis Cardinals Friday, Oct. 14, 2011, in St. Louis. The Cardinals won 7-1 to take a 3-2 lead in the series . AP Photo/Matt Slocum …
(3) In this photo taken April 6, 2011, Tampa Bay Rays’ Manny Ramirez watches from the dugout during a baseball game against the Los Angeles Angels in St. Petersburg, Fla. Ramirez has notified Major League Baseball that he is retiring after being notified of an issue under MLB’s drug policy. The commissioner’s office issued a statement Friday, APril 8, 2011, that said Ramirez decided to retire rather than go through MLB’s Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. The player having announced his retirement recently filed papers with the league to seek his reinstatement which has since been granted by the MLB hierarchy . However he would still have to serve a second suspension as warranted before being fully reinstated as a player . AP Photo/Mike Carlson …. ….
(4) GREEN BAY, WI – DECEMBER 11: Michael Bush (29) of the Oakland Raiders avoids a tackle attempt by Tramon Williams (38) of the Green Bay Packers to score a touchdown at Lambeau Field on December 11, 2011 in Green Bay, Wisconsin. The Packers defeated the Raiders 46-16 . Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images ….
(5) GREEN BAY, WI – DECEMBER 11: Tramon Williams (38) and C.J. Wilson (98) of the Green Bay Packers and Khalif Barnes (69) of the Oakland Raiders try to recover a loose ball at Lambeau Field on December 11, 2011 in Green Bay, Wisconsin. The Packers defeated the Raiders 46-16. Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images …..
(6) ” You’re my bit_h Carson stay still and take it like a man ” ! Green Bay Packers’ Frank Zombo (58) sacks Oakland Raiders’ Carson Palmer (3) during the second half of an NFL football game Sunday, Dec. 11, 2011, in Green Bay, Wis. AP Photo/Jim Prisching …
(7) DENVER, CO – DECEMBER 11: A fan displays a sign in support of quarterback Tim Tebow (15) of the Denver Broncos as they face the Chicago Bears at Sports Authority Field at Mile High on December 11, 2011 in Denver, Colorado. The Broncos defeated the Bears 13-10 . Photo by Doug Pensinger/Getty Images ….
(8) DENVER, CO – DECEMBER 11: Quarterback Tim Tebow (15) of the Denver Broncos is pressured by safety Craig Steltz ( 20 ) of the Chicago Bears and later fumbles the ball during the third quarter at Sports Authority Field at Mile High on December 11, 2011 in Denver, Colorado. Photo by Justin Edmonds/Getty Images ….
(9) Orlando Magic general manager Otis Smith answers questions from members of the media at NBA basketball training camp in Orlando, Fla., Saturday, Dec. 10, 2011. AP Photo/John Raoux ….
(10) Orlando Magic CEO and vice vhairman Bob Vander Weide announces his retirement during an NBA basketball news conference in Orlando, Fla., Wednesday, Dec. 7, 2011. Magic team president Alex Martins is being promoted to his position. AP Photo/John Raoux …..
(11) Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard, left, jokes with team CEO Alex Martins, second from left, Director of Communications George Galante and Chairman Dan DeVos , right, during the first day of NBA basketball training camp in Orlando, Fla., Friday, Dec. 9, 2011. AP Photo/John Raoux ….
Stan Van Gundy head coach (Orlando Magic)
Otis Smith general manager
Hot chic pics of the day …Zoe Saldana & Paula Patton . Screw ” Avatar” and its lack of a plotline dumb ass special effects and mundane acting this is how we guys want to see Saldana ! ‘nough said !
Yes sir ! I’d tap this ass in a heartbeat !
Paula Patton soon to be seen alongside Tom Cruise , Simon Pegg and Jeremy Renner in MI4 “Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol” .
Yeah baby ! Patton can “pound” on my meat anytime she wants without any complaining from me at all !