He’s Not In It For The Money Simply For The Glory But With Pete Carroll Which Is It ?
If ever there was a coach the in NFL that truly needs to prove their worth with their salary at $7 million a year then the Seattle Seahawks’ — Peter Carroll has to be that candidate. Having left USC under a cloud of suspicion , the coach quickly made that return to the NFL , with that exorbitant contract , much to the delight team owner and billionaire mogul Paul Allen , co-founder of Microsoft .
Slide show for your perusal .
With Matt Hasselbeck leaving as a free agent to join the Tennessee Titans the first major task at hand for Carroll was seek a replacement for the player. The individual chosen was former Minnesota Vikings’ backup Tarvaris Jackson . Though not deemed amongst the elite players at the position but he’s deemed capable enough to lead this team . From my own perspective Pete Carroll and his coaching staff will have a tough season ahead of them within the NFC West .
It would be naive to think that based on last season’s standings and results within the division the Seattle Seahawks can be considered the favorites once again to successfully defend their title . All of the teams within the NFC West appear to be better and with the NFL Draft having taken place it goes without saying that each of the teams in question will seek to profit greatly by the choices that they have made. The Arizona Cardinals , St Louis Rams , San Francisco 49ers and the Seattle Seahawks will seek divisional supremacy over the course of the season. I am not so sure that the division is as competitive as many might claim it to be . But we shall see over the course of schedule how each of the teams acquit themselves on the field of play.
Given Pete Carroll’s successes at the collegiate level and dare one say those are now coming into question ? I am not so sure that given that this will be his second bite of the apple as an NFL coach , I do believe he will be in for a rough ride . Last season with the team having made the postseason once beyond the wildcard round the Seattle Seahawks never seemed to be capable to prove that they belonged in the NFL playoffs . It seems ridiculous to think that with a 7-9 record within the monstrous NFC West that the Seattle Seahawks won the division and made the postseason as a divisional winner . But yet there teams within the conference who had won more games but failed to granted a berth for the right to be part of the NFL’s gala .
I cannot believe that fans are entirely happy with such a scenario where a team having won a division with a sub .500 record can be viewed as worthy of a playoff berth but as such one has to make do with the rules of the game as it stands. From my own standpoint in such a case I do believe seeding system that actually rewards the teams not just solely on the winning of a division as I also believe that a team that has a better record than that of a divisional winner ought be considered for a berth . But such are the rules of the game and at the end of the one simply has to make do with what is offered .
The NFC West I believe is up for the taking and given the performances of Sam Bradford this past season I do believe that the St Louis Rams might just be the team to beat within the division ! Pete Carroll for his part with the players taken in the NFL Draft and the offseason moves by the Seahawks , we will get the chance to see if he can make this team a legitimate contender for the Superbowl . Much of that however will be based on the play of Tavaris Jackson and whether or not he had the leadership skills and the belief of his teammates in leading the Seattle Seahawks. The jury is still out on both Jackson and the Seahawks given their performances during the preseason .
With teams making the mandated cuts of their rosters this Saturday it will be interesting to see the player finally making the team’s roster and those failing to make the grade. The veterans on the Seattle Seahawks will be looking to make the rookies feel welcomed and at the same assist them in being productive . The preseason gives precedence to that fact but it will be the regular season that really matters !
Not exactly overly impressed with the Seahawks from a competitive standpoint , I do believe that the team is simply there merely to make up the numbers within the NFL ! The rookies taken in the NFL Draft , it is hoped that they can be productive for organization . Certainly the coach , his staff and with the ambitions of the front office led by GM John Schneider one could arguably understand why it is that the organization feels there’s an urgence to attain some success for their fans. This is a team that has seen its fair share of highs lows but in reality previously suggested the Seattle Seahawks while vocally being well supported they’re merely viewed as a franchise within the NFL , there to make up the numbers .
James Carpenter , John Moffitt , K J Wright , Kris Durham , Richard Sherman , Mark Legree , Byron Maxwell , Lazarius Levingston and Malcolm Smith will no doubt hope that their baptism of fire within the NFL is a successful one . For these draftees after their collegiate careers the league will prove to be a real eye opener . And I am sure that at team’s season opener (11th August 2011) , that will be when realization for them that their journey has really begun ! The opening game against divisional rivals the San Francisco 49ers at Candlestick Park will prove to be very interesting as it should be an indicator of as to the apparent direction that both teams believe themselves to be heading in.
I certainly don’t prescribe to the fact that the NFC West is said to be that competitive a division within the NFL ! If anything judged by the play of the teams there this might be one of weakest divisions in the NFC if not the entire league . But is plain to see that the teams will try as best as they can to compete , even if it means more often than not they’re viewed as an afterthought within the NFL .
One things that’s sure to be on the minds of the Seahawks’ fans as the team embarks on this season , will be whether or Tarvaris Jackson is the player capable of leading this team ? If not , then his backup Charlie Whitehurst will be entrusted to takeover and prove himself worthy of the starting position . Certainly from an offensive standpoint Pete Carroll has put the weapons in place for a half decent quarterback to lead the team to some semblance of success . But would anyone be of the opinion that either Tarvaris Jackson or Charlie Whitehurst could be described as being moderately decent ? It’d be remiss however to suggest that the team’s frailties are simply only about the effectiveness of the quarterback play as from a defensive standpoint the Seattle Seahawks have had their struggles as well.
Picture gallery for your perusal .
Alan aka tophatal ………. https://tophatal.wordpress.com
Picture and slide show details below .
(1) Running back Thomas Clayton (45) of the Seattle Seahawks is tackled by Bani Gbadyu (48) and Jamie Cumbie (73) of the Oakland Raiders at CenturyLink Field on September 2, 2011 in Seattle, Washington. Photo by Otto Greule Jr/Getty Images …..
(2) SEATTLE – SEPTEMBER 02: Head coach Pete Carroll of the Seattle Seahawks calls instruction during the game against the Oakland Raiders at CenturyLink Field on September 2, 2011 in Seattle, Washington. The Seahawks would go on to defeat the Raiders 20-3 . Photo by Otto Greule Jr/Getty Images ….
(3) Wide receiver Golden Tate (81) of the Seattle Seahawks is greeted by head coach Pete Carroll during the game against the Oakland Raiders at CenturyLink Field on September 2, 2011 in Seattle, Washington. Photo by Otto Greule Jr/Getty Images ….. …….
(4) SEATTLE – SEPTEMBER 02: Running back Thomas Clayton (45) of the Seattle Seahawks rushes against the Oakland Raiders at CenturyLink Field on September 2, 2011 in Seattle, Washington. Photo by Otto Greule Jr/Getty Images ….
(5) Quarterback Kyle Boller (7) of the Oakland Raiders is tackled by Pep Levingston (93) (R) of the Seattle Seahawks at CenturyLink Field on September 2, 2011 in Seattle, Washington. Photo by Otto Greule Jr/Getty Images ……
(6) Oakland Raiders head coach Hue Jackson , right, is greeted by Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll after a preseason NFL football game, Friday, Sept. 2, 2011, in Seattle. The Seahawks won 20-3 . AP Photo/Elaine Thompson …..
(7) Seahawks’ owner Paul Allen (left) talks with coach Pete Carroll after a recent practice at the team’s VMAC facility in Renton, Washington ,. Elaine Thompson/AP photo ……
(8) Running back Thomas Clayton (45) of the Seattle Seahawks scores a touchdown in the second quarter against the Oakland Raiders at CenturyLink Field on September 2, 2011 in Seattle, Washington. Photo by Otto Greule Jr/Getty Images …… ……
NFL player stats preseason
Head coach Pete Carroll